PDA

View Full Version : Product Review - Wizkids Attack Wing Faction Base and Peg set.

Mr Mystery
07-25-2014, 09:04 AM
How do?

So, following up on the Bells and Whistles, I've managed to land my delicate mitts on a packet of these.

First up, I'll cover some of the concerns raised...

1. Are the bases the same size?

2. What about guide pegs for the movement markers? If they're off, it can affect manouevres, making them a no-no for competitive or otherwise formally organised play.

3. Do the pegs fit?

And here we go. Get your helmet on, canopy down and fire up your R2 unit. It's review time! (pics to follow. Typing on PC, will post pics from iPhone in a bit).

1. Pretty much, yes. The actual base dimensions are identical. They do look a smidge bigger, but a back to back comparisson (not sure how well that will photograph!) shows they are exactly the same dimensions as your standard X-Wing ship base. HURRAH! They also hold the ship token beautifully!

2. Guide pegs....well, they're not pegs. They're part of the base's bevel. However, the spacing between them is identical. But that bevel....that extends to the corner of each base, and is extending.......maybe 2mm? In extremely tight squeaks for collisions, this is only going to count against you in the absolute tightest of squeaks. So in short? They're good enough for random play with your mates, a distinct no-no for competitive play. Anywhere? Talk to your opponent.

3. Pegs are absolutely 100% identical.

So there you have it. Me, I'm happy with them as replacements, particularly for emergencies. Certainly I'd be happy to keep them squirreled away in my packing case. They will also come in handy for multiplayer games :)

Pics shows a side-by-side of the two base styles, complete with ship token. The second pic is an attempt to show the size match, and the extended bevel template guide I was on about. Unfortunately I'm an exceptionally poor photographer!

Brenlak
07-27-2014, 10:53 PM
Thank you for the review, kind sir. It's things like your review that make this site so awesome, the ability to have a third party review and personally ask questions. I was able to head out fishing last weekend and it got me thinking of an X-wing tackle box ( To be fair I did see the thread were Plano and other types of tackle kits make great ship carriers, I use them for my bits they are great). They are going to make it in my X-wing Tackle eventually, but after I pick up some card protectors for my cards. Anyone know if they make card protectors that fit the upgrade cards? Also since this question is completely off topic should I put it here or start another thread( or find an old one where this question is asked, I'm pretty green at this forum stuff)?

Mr Mystery
10-04-2014, 04:14 PM
I believe FFG do make deck protectors for the upgrade cards, as they're the same size as many of the WHFRP cards.

Probably worth checking their website.

Daredhnu
10-11-2014, 05:11 AM
I believe FFG do make deck protectors for the upgrade cards, as they're the same size as many of the WHFRP cards.

Probably worth checking their website.

I have those deck protectors for the upgrade cards, they're alright, they're not great though, they have a tendency to bulge a little and let in quite a bit of air.
still they're better than nothing especially on your damage cards. (since those are the ones that get shuffled a lot)

Brenlak
10-15-2014, 11:52 PM

These are the ones, they were mentioned in another thread.

I have all my X-Wing stuff in these sleeves, and bought another 500 more (Sleeve not packages, err) to do up my Twilight Imperium stuff (Great game, eh).

I disagree with Daredhnu though, I think they are great, and the issue of bulging (I find, so far) can be fixed with an elastic band around the cards , after a couple weeks they are air and bulge free.

I am still a bit apprehensive about my Twilight stuff though (40 damage cards stacked up is different from a stack of 100 something action cards after all). One thing I notice is that the cards, after they are sleeved, (and especially after the elastic band) tend to stick together, your gonna wanna watch that.

I wasn't worried about protecting the cards too much in the first place, these sleeves kind of fell into the "Oh I'm at the game store with money and there's nothing for X-Wing I need to buy, guess I will get these" category. Well played Fantasy Fight, well played...

- - - Updated - - -

BOOSH!

Just realized I was answering my own echo through the warp!! That's what happens during a bad hockey game, you have too much to drink (coincidentaly the same thing happens during a good hockey game!).