PDA

View Full Version : GW and embracing the future of 3D Printing

Easy
07-28-2014, 04:41 PM
I write this mainly as a discussion and small hope that maybe GW does pay attention to its fan's sites and will maybe look towards the future and embrace it rather than fight it.

Not to drag out by whats happening and what will happen in the 3D printing realm but, personal 3D printing is going to be a very real possibility for all of us who miniature game in the future. So here are my thoughts/solutions that GW could put in place and even pioneer in the future of miniature gaming and 3D printing.

1) Setup a centralized "3D Plan Store" at GW were people can buy the Printing Plans.
- Think of this as similar to the App stores on our mobile devices. Its a centralized place where you can look up plans for your armies (heads, torsos,should plates, legs, weapons, even a whole new miniature). GW controls it and can run it much like the App stores now, people submit their plans and GW reviews it and if they want it to be associated with "Official GW stuff" they accept it and sell it. They could do a 70/30 cut like most App stores do. Sell plans for 1-5 bucks, keep it on the inexpensive side, Again a reminder we are talking about the 3D plans, not miniatures. By having GW accept and have a market place you avoid some of the legality associated with likeness or naming of miniatures because GW approves of it and ultimately controls its distribution.

- In preparation for Campaigns they could have contests of best Dreadnought design ect.

- Im not sure of the legal stuff but GW has already gone after some companies for their likeness and relationship with their products and has won and lost. 3D printing is just a crap storm for all of that, so instead of fighting the "black markets" of places that will definitely distribute and share 3D printing plans, this gives GW a way to accept those changes not fight them, and allow people to contribute to the community. I mean how pimp would it be if your terminator chest plates were sold through GW. Ultimately I feel this is the area that will be the biggest threat but possible asset to GW in the future of 3D printing if they play this realm right. Im one that thinks you should embrace the suck, the fact that people will print miniatures like the ones you design, but accept it and you take control by having a market place where you allow people to contribute and you also help build it and shape it.

- I think this allows GW to also redistribute its own design resources/costs and even it manufacturing costs. They allow us to contribute to a game we love and they can focus on improving other realms *Cough* (insert area you think needs improvement).

2) 3D printing in stores
- Not everyone will have a 3D printer, so have a few in your stores, or even if everyone does still have them! People can scroll through the "3D Plan Store" purchase them from GW and have them printed at their local store!

- Im not sure what possibilities may also be in store with this (pun not intended but now seems funny to me), Print whole new Releases on Demand at local stores? Not have to keep things in stock that aren't selling? Have a GW only 3D plans not available to the public and print the GW models on demand at stores? Print all of your favorites older miniatures on demand in Stores? Support some of our old favorite past miniatures and games Epic, Gorka-Morka, ect?

- Im just skimming the surface but holy cow can you imagine what each GW store could do with 2-5 of these in store?

- This is even a great area for Independent retailers, they don't have to stock "So many things" but can offer their own investment of their own 3D printer and participate in selling GW products.

Just a few other miscellaneous things to think of:
- Costs of everything can go down, Shipping, Manufacturing, Distribution you name it costs can go down

- By having a GW 3D printing store you take some of the burden of design off of you and can see what the community comes up with.

Im no expert in the areas Ive mentioned above, Manufacturing/Cost/Distribution. But if the trend of 3D printers getting better and more economic keeps on its current trend, you're damn right ill buy a 3D printer for 500 bucks and print out 4 different armies for the cost of plastic and still have something that benefits the rest of my household than spend 600 bucks at current prices to just have a single "starter army".

I will admit Im not sure of a time line of 3D printer economics and quality but from the little I have seen from different companies Id feel that easily between 5-10 years the 3D printers that would make good quality miniatures would be in the price range I just mentioned or be tempting enough to those of us that game.

Again its not a matter of if, its really a matter of WHEN. And its up to GW and other miniature companies to adapt to it or take a hit once it does happen.

Im excited for where 3D printing will take us in the realm of miniatures and Im excited to see what happens with them!

- Easy

Gamgee
07-28-2014, 05:27 PM
Look at Valve. Look at it. There is your inspiration. Now just do it with physical goods. However I feel 3D printing isn't cheap or ubiquitous enough as of yet to justify such a system, but soon. Very soon. The future is coming.

It's smart they are looking to adapt to the times this far in advance, despite what many old customers might think that's some smart business planning.

Edit
I got one word for you once the digital distribution of plans is online, just one. Sales.

Wolfshade
07-29-2014, 02:11 AM
Certainly, on-dmenad printing in stores of special characters and OOP would be fantastic! You could also imagine the bitz store, oh you want a fusion pistol, ok, that will be some money come back x hours later and boom!

it would reduce the amount of storage space required etc.

Whether or not they would pay for themselves I don't know and in high volume items, like rank and file units certainly injection moulding is quicker, cheaper and you can get higher details.

But maybe one day.

Mr Mystery
07-29-2014, 02:54 AM
Going off what was said in the preamble, seems GW are convinced that although resolution will likely increase in time, the speed of a 3D print will not.

Anyone able to comment on this? Because that could be a thorn in the side of 3D printed models at home.

daboarder
07-29-2014, 02:56 AM
that strikes me like the head of IBM stating they cant see a market for home PCs

Mr Mystery
07-29-2014, 03:02 AM
Well that's why I'm asking.

GW internally have been using 3D printing and rapid prototyping for quite a while, so one could have the impression they actually know what they're on about.

But as you have demonstrated, knowing what you're on about doesn't necessarily mean you are right.

I've not kept tabs on the evolution of 3D printing, because I don't find it terribly interesting (much more into what the next Marvel film is gonna be. And the next wave for X-Wing. And models and that). Has there been a speed increased in recent years? I know resolution continues to improve, but speed? Don't hear much about it.

Wolfshade
07-29-2014, 03:05 AM
With additive methods there will always be a hard time based on the size owing to how fast the plastic solidifies and this cannot be sped up. It is more of a problem in the small scale as there is less material to put on and therefore less cooling times. On fairly large scales by the time you have finished the one layer the starting point is sold enough to start the next.

Having said that a revolutionary way of doing this might be just around the corner, or if you could put a thin enough bead of material out then it might be cool enough as soon as it comes into contact with the existing structures or something else that I haven't considered.

Certainly at the moment it would take a while, in the future with thinner layers and new technologies, who knows.

The question is will it ever my cheaper to print a model than injection mould it.

Paperback books are a great example, while we can print the novel at home on our printers, it is still cheaper and quicker just to buy it from the shelf. Though with digital readers (kindle et al.) this is starting to be a viable alternative.

daboarder
07-29-2014, 06:59 AM
Well that's why I'm asking.

GW internally have been using 3D printing and rapid prototyping for quite a while, so one could have the impression they actually know what they're on about.

But as you have demonstrated, knowing what you're on about doesn't necessarily mean you are right.

I've not kept tabs on the evolution of 3D printing, because I don't find it terribly interesting (much more into what the next Marvel film is gonna be. And the next wave for X-Wing. And models and that). Has there been a speed increased in recent years? I know resolution continues to improve, but speed? Don't hear much about it.

Well we're starting to get them in the labs at work. pretty good and a very modest price. Development wise they are definitely getting there, they are follwing the typical technological acceleration., Wolf is right however in his assessment of printed material and cost.

CoffeeGrunt
07-29-2014, 07:22 AM
I can't see 3D Printing replacing GW's practices, merely supplementing them. I mean, sure, 3D Printing is limited in resolution now but will look ballin' in a decade's time. However, by that point we have no idea how refined GW's manufacturing process will be. Just compare models releasing now to those circa 2004, they're far better in detail, variety and quality. It'll probably fill the "good enough" niche nicely, but it won't win on quality any time soon.

Not to mention that this assumes it'll take off like home printing, which is one of those things that was killed the moment Facebook launched and buried at the debut of the Smartphone era, so it only got a decade or two before it started dying out. Unless drastic improvements occur as far as calibration, ease-of-use and detail/resolution, it will be too obtuse for the average user and something mostly relegated to enthusiasts. I dunno, we've experimented with 3D Printing at work and I've seen a few models of printers on display and, while they're damn cool, they're just lacking in a lot of factors IMO.

Mr Mystery
07-29-2014, 07:29 AM
I see it in the same way as Inkjet and Laser printing proliferation in the home.

Generally speaking, laser printing gets you a nicer result. The toners also tend to last a lot, lot longer than ink cartridges.

But, crucially, the printers themselves (when I last looked. Probably 1999ish) were prohibitively expensive, especially compared to a crappy inkjet you could pick up for around £20.

How much stuff around the home do you actually need to 3D print? Will it really be preferable to replace your plug with a 3D printer, rather than just wander down B&Q and pick one up?

But as well covered - never say never. A significant tech breakthrough could be announced at any point. Possibly before I've finsished posting this!

Arkhan Land
07-29-2014, 06:19 PM
I wouldnt be suprised if the 3d printer for the next little bit becomes as common as Lan connection was about say a decade ago-ish. Easily found at schools, tech forward offices, workshops, cutting edge home setups. now high speed internet is a completely common thing in most parts of the developed world. I wouldnt rule out a similar thing for 3d printing but the difference is its usefullness and safety.

Say for example in the future instead of buying a new cup you simply had one printed out. What sort of materials could it be made of safely that can hold together well enough that can be done using this technology. Its an adaption that has to grow in three directions to advance but I think its totally possible. Im going to give it at least 15 years before you can buy a device in your house that is useful and usable by any older child/adult. well have 3d printers to boot before then but theyre use and need will be specialized. once stuff is cheap, uniformed and tested as a technology theyll start to basically say you can move into a house with minimal furniture or maybe even no furniture and simply have this machine pump the whole kit and kboodle out via five to ten cartridges the size of a small car battery