PDA

View Full Version : Golem Arcana a new spin on minatures games.

rapatpamp
07-29-2014, 05:19 PM
Golem Arcana is described as a "digitally enhanced minatures game" and that suits it well. The basic premise of the game is that it connects to your Andriod/IOS device via a bluetooth stylus pen that's included into the game. All of the golems are prepainted to a pretty good standard and all cards/gameboard pieces are of a high quality as well. A list of supported deviced as well as more info can be found at www.golemarcana.com. The game releases August 13th 2014 and I will give you a some-what brief description of gameplay. Please note that I am basing this off a beta build of the game.

1 - Basics - The game is based off players controlling between 3-12 golems from 3 different dynasties. These dynasties can use golems from the 4 different "elements" that are available. There is also a points based system to build specific lists like other minatures games. You will generally pick from a list of scenarios (which generally have a points limit) which will determine how the gameboard is set-up. From there each player takes turns activating thier golems based off an AP system , meaning everything you do costs AP (moving , attacking , ect) until one player meets the victory conditions. What's great about this is that at release the scenarios can contain random events that neither players knows about (hidden characters , attacks , ect) to keep the game interesting. You also choose a pilot known as a "knight" for each golem , these can contain abilities to enchance your golem or hinder an opponent's. Another thing are Ancient One's who are basically gods that can curse , bless , ect the battlefield. Relics are also included but I only have access to 2 atm.

2 - Setup - All you really need to do to setup a game is choose scenario and points limit and the app tells you how the gameboard will be laid out (with pictures ). You can also make pre-made army lists that your device will save on the app for easier access. After choosing a scenario and setting up the gameboard it's time to start.

3 - Gameplay - The game is based on you activating golems with AP points by moving or attacking. Movement is fairly straightforward as each space counts as 1 movement as water ect cost more. To move either use the stylus to touch the golem or the golem ability card then touch the space you wish to move to , the app will highlight all the legal movement so no guessing involved. To attack another golem you again use the stylus to touch the golem or golem ability card to issue an attack , the app then will highlight all available targets. The attack system is based off of a % style meaning an attack goes as follows : hit % + targets cover + targets dodge = % to hit. If you roll UNDER this % you hit , over is a miss. An exception to this is that if you roll over the % but doubles it counts as a hit , under this % it's a critical and does 2x damage. If you hit the target you deal your damage - targets armor. The app does all this math for you and will show you your chances before you attack. This system reduces all the book/paperwork envolved so you enjoy the game without all the work. Also using a golems attack consistantly will cause it to go on a cooldown making it's attacks cost 2x the amount , this keeps the big guys from swinging so much and helps balance the game. When a golem is destroyed that golem's controller gains mana = to 1/2 that golem's cost (this may change) , mana is used to use Ancient One abilities and such. These turns go back and forth until 1 player achieves the victory conditions of the scenario.

There are alot more tactics I can get into , golem abilities , cover , LOS , ect but as this is the demo @ beta version I think I'll end it here. The great thing about this game is no need for books , faqs , ect as all you need is an internet connection and a simple update. The release schedule is something along the lines of August - base game (6 golems , stylus , gameboard , dice , ect) 4 packs of golems containing 3 from each "element" (note 2 packs contain the starter set golems) , September a cololossus will be released (largest golem can take on a small army alone) , Oct 2 more 3 packs containing new golems , Nov 2nd colossus + 2 more 3 packs , then 2 more packs every month with a colossus here and there. All the packs will be see-through so you know what you are buying @ note that you can preview all the golems on the app before you even buy them so that's great. Knights , relics , and the AO's as well as scenarios (always free) will be updated for free (although there could be purchaseable ones) when they become available.

There is an organized play in the works that will be pretty cool. Every game played will be uploaded and the results will determine what faction "wins" and can change the story based off that. This could include new golems , relics , ect. Prizes could be unique knights , relics and such and would be uploaded straight to your app.

Anyway that's it for now. Feel free to ask me any questions and I will do my best to awnser them.

szuhayeva
07-28-2015, 03:08 AM
I like the idea, but I can't really imagine how the game works