PDA

View Full Version : land raiders

archimbald
01-23-2010, 02:19 PM
throughout my time playing 40 k (bout 4 years) ive seen many a landraidere but its never been a landraider terminus ultra. and as i was thinking of making one i was wondering are they worth it or are they just a waste. is the downside bigger than the upside?????

any info would be gratefully accepted

Aenir
01-23-2010, 02:32 PM
its an apoc unit, with 5 lascannons 3 twin linked :D

lobster-overlord
01-23-2010, 02:36 PM
thus the biggest down side... you can't use it in standard games. Otherwise, it's a blast to have until it starts attacting too much fire since it's a bullet magnet.

archimbald
01-23-2010, 03:05 PM
is there such a thing as apocalypse only?????
i thought that they could be used in all games just would mean that you'd have less points to spend on others.

ggg
01-23-2010, 05:59 PM
Waste. Next question.

The main point for a land raider (apoc or otherise) is the assault ramp delivery,

If you want to compromise - well 2 twin linked lascannons are enough -non?

spend the points . cash on line breakers, devestators in cover / drop pod dreads / sternguard.

Termins does not fit the fluf or game v well.

You can very often stun a land raider and stop it from shooting and your lascannon misses the point. Take a three lascannon IG squad with a take it down command - 105 points.stick them in cover -

-but as it is apocalyspse - sod it - don't mess about - get a baneblade or other sper heavy,

therealjohnny5
01-23-2010, 06:29 PM
ok so as you know it's technically an Apoc build. I don't see that there's any reason you can't take it in a regular game, i just ask the guys i play with. As for why to take it? it's awesome if you need to kill stuff. :D

Seriously though it's a bargain for shots. you consider a standard LR is 2 TL Las and a TL HB for 250 pts. 50 more points and you get one more TL las and 2 standard las. NICE. Sure the LR is built around being an assault tank, but an all 14A gun platform isn't bad. And don't forget the Machine Spirit allows you to split one shot at another unit if you want and will allow you to always fire a weapon even if stunned/shaken. Forget about it bro. great tank. Now are there other cheaper options? sure like you can pay 320ish and get two predators with 3 las each, but weaker armor.

personally i swear by lascannons. I just recently played a vs. Nid game, the guy wouldn't let me bring the Terminus Ultra build so i brought a standard LR and a Las Pred. WIth everything else i had a total of 9 las and 2 HB's. By turn 3 all his Synapse were dead. and he had a lot. I had the game won at that point. And that was against 4th ed nids who were still immune to Instant death. So you can imagine how it'd go now...

The upgrade sprue is pretty inexpensive and if you are handy with magnets its an easy swappable conversion. I have 2 LR's and both are completely modular so i can load standard, Redeemer, crusader, and Terminus...i don't play much Apoc, but when i do it's cool to bring it bc no one ever does. and that puppy can take a Titan down quick. and there's no reason you couldn't play it in a normal game if your buddies don't mind bc it doesn't have structure points like a baneblade or titan. so no extra rules or crazy stuff that might affect a normal game.

lobster-overlord
01-23-2010, 06:58 PM
thus the biggest down side... you can't use it in standard games. Otherwise, it's a blast to have until it starts attacting too much fire since it's a bullet magnet.

let me adjust this based on what others have said.

You can't use it in tournaments...

Friendly games, I would love to use one, even if I had to pay the higher price for it still.

I havn't built one, but I proxied it to try and see. I hate Rail guns BTW. They kill LRs too quickly.

Johyn M>

therealjohnny5
01-23-2010, 07:34 PM
ugh...rail guns...tau...what a bunch of bad words...i second that...ugh....railguns....

plasticaddict
01-23-2010, 08:22 PM
A LR Terminus is great until you star rolling ones. Playing against my buddies SMs twice it has taken itself out of action and twice my Broadsides have done it for him:) That's out of five games before he just went back to using a regular LR. Of course it's not like you have to build it and keep it one way. Buy a Pred kit and a LR kit, judicious use of magnets and the sponsons for the Pred pop onto the LR also. Pick up a Razorback spure and you have your hull mounted lascannons. All nice and mix-n-match.

bigrob281
01-23-2010, 09:13 PM
you can magnitize the front guns and then you can use it as terminus or regular LR

sicarius2424
01-23-2010, 09:48 PM
ugh...rail guns...tau...what a bunch of bad words...i second that...ugh....railguns....

haha my freind plays space marines and tau guess what his first tank was... hammerhead with rail gun i've shot missle after missle after missle at the d*** thing and it won't die, imobolize or even stun for that matter but yeah you should be able to use apoc. stuff as long as you ask your opponent and he/she oks it

david5th
01-24-2010, 06:48 AM
Great anti armour / IC unit. Ask opponents permission before use in a standard game. It's 300 points but it is a apocalypse unit.

therealjohnny5
01-24-2010, 09:50 AM
A LR Terminus is great until you star rolling ones. Playing against my buddies SMs twice it has taken itself out of action and twice my Broadsides have done it for him:) That's out of five games before he just went back to using a regular LR. Of course it's not like you have to build it and keep it one way. Buy a Pred kit and a LR kit, judicious use of magnets and the sponsons for the Pred pop onto the LR also. Pick up a Razorback spure and you have your hull mounted lascannons. All nice and mix-n-match.

or buy the upgrade conversion pack for $20 and then you can also switch a rhino to RB if you want.

haha my freind plays space marines and tau guess what his first tank was... hammerhead with rail gun i've shot missle after missle after missle at the d*** thing and it won't die, imobolize or even stun for that matter but yeah you should be able to use apoc. stuff as long as you ask your opponent and he/she oks it

bro totally, i play against tau almost weekly. i know their pain...i once had a hammerhead, or maybe broadside...can't remember, destroy a LR and force my 7 termies and termie librarian flee off table on the turn they finally came in...tell me that doesn't suck...what are the chances.

I'm also a huge fan of the Kroot spam. you know like 30 kroot outflanking, or the 45 model walk across, with like 30 kroot, a shaper, 10 hounds,3 krootox and a partridge in a pear tree rapid firing as they come...yeah that's fun. :rolleyes:

Nabterayl
01-24-2010, 10:24 AM
is there such a thing as apocalypse only?????
i thought that they could be used in all games just would mean that you'd have less points to spend on others.
There isn't officially, no. But by popular consensus, there oftentimes can be.

The convention in most tournaments is that you aren't allowed to use units that your base codex doesn't include. In friendly games the convention can range from:
No units that are "Apocalypse scale" (e.g., no super-heavy vehicles, no gargantuan creatures, no flyers, no Destroyer weapons, and no templates larger than the 5" blast template and 8" flamer template), to
Anything goes.
Personally I prefer #2 on that list, but best to check with your gaming group before investing in one, if you aren't planning to use it in Apocalypse only. Sometimes people get weird about facing units that aren't in your base codex.

MarshalAdamar
01-24-2010, 10:39 AM
It was said earlier but it bears repeating. I would magnetize the front sponsons. Then build your predator annihilator and magnetize its side sponsons

THEN you can take the las cannon sponsons off your predator and put them on your land raider and WA LA - Terminus ultra and you don't have to make a 50$ + investment in a model you'll only use in apocalypse games.

miksaa
01-24-2010, 12:36 PM
It is awesome, but as someone pointed out not legal in regular 40k without permission from the other players. However, if you want it, I would say that magnets are the way to go; a great design for it is to use this set up:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/9360674@N04/2753877974/
or
http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff9/Lord_Zymran/IMG_1689.jpg

BuFFo
01-24-2010, 01:46 PM
There isn't officially, no. But by popular consensus, there oftentimes can be.

The convention in most tournaments is that you aren't allowed to use units that your base codex doesn't include. In friendly games the convention can range from:
No units that are "Apocalypse scale" (e.g., no super-heavy vehicles, no gargantuan creatures, no flyers, no Destroyer weapons, and no templates larger than the 5" blast template and 8" flamer template), to
Anything goes.
Personally I prefer #2 on that list, but best to check with your gaming group before investing in one, if you aren't planning to use it in Apocalypse only. Sometimes people get weird about facing units that aren't in your base codex.

Actually, Apoc stuff is not official in 40k at all.

When you open your 40k book, you are told what you need to pay the game, and Apoc is not mentioned anywhere. All expansions are extra add ons that are not used in the main game unless both players agree to it.

The only books required to play 40k are the main rule book and army specific codices.

Apoc units are not legal at all.

DarkLink
01-24-2010, 02:18 PM
Actually, Apoc stuff is not official in 40k at all.

When you open your 40k book, you are told what you need to pay the game, and Apoc is not mentioned anywhere. All expansions are extra add ons that are not used in the main game unless both players agree to it.

The only books required to play 40k are the main rule book and army specific codices.

Apoc units are not legal at all.

Wait, BuFFo's not saying that anything goes as long as you and your opponent agree on it:eek:?!?!

Regardless:rolleyes:, I agree here. Apoc units are for Apoc only. It's a special expansion, with the extra units designed to be used with the special scenario rules in the Apocalypse book, not for normal 40k.

Unless you want to let me take my Brass Scorpion in my Grey Knight army every game... "No, no, it's not a real brass scorpion... just a... giant Penitent Engine. Yeah..."

mercer
01-25-2010, 06:50 AM
I sold me Terminus Ultra I didn't use it that much at all. They're just a armour 14 lascannon bunker.

SlavesToDarkness
01-26-2010, 01:48 AM
If you built an actual giant penitent engine, I would let you take it. Some apocalypse stuff works okay in regular games (with opponent permission first). Malcadors are a great example.

BuFFo
01-26-2010, 02:11 AM
Wait, BuFFo's not saying that anything goes as long as you and your opponent agree on it:eek:?!?!

Regardless:rolleyes:, I agree here. Apoc units are for Apoc only. It's a special expansion, with the extra units designed to be used with the special scenario rules in the Apocalypse book, not for normal 40k.

Unless you want to let me take my Brass Scorpion in my Grey Knight army every game... "No, no, it's not a real brass scorpion... just a... giant Penitent Engine. Yeah..."

LOL I forgot....

Anything goes if you and your opponent agrees on it!

Jiggs
01-26-2010, 09:15 PM
I got one a while ago and it is amazing, my friends are scared of the thing it's expensive but so worth it in apocalypse. The Terminus easily has enough power to take down any non-apocalypse and some apoc vehicles all on its own. It took my friend 4 turns to kill it with eldrad and a bodyguard of warlocks. Even though he did destroy it (He used singing spears, immobilised it got a weapons dest. on the left sponson then he turned it around with a psyker rule where I couldn't shoot with any sponsons:mad:) so yeah they'll be a fire magnet which is always good because then you can flank with other units. and plus they look so B.A. with all those lascannons.:D

Alvena
02-09-2010, 05:32 AM
i have used a terminus and Sgt chronus inside on an appoc games. It's was pretty cool. :)

the main fact if you haven't something more scary it will be destroyed quickly.
If you have some kind of baneblade or other stuff like titan, or thunderhawk it will be wonderfull because your terminus won't the scariest thing in your army.

btw a Terminus full shooting phase on an ork gargant is a really pleasant experience.

therascalking13
02-24-2010, 12:08 PM
A LR Terminus is great until you star rolling ones. Playing against my buddies SMs twice it has taken itself out of action

Are you sure you're playing this right? I've run the math on this on my FLG Website ( http://mi40k.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=686 ) and it should blow up every 60ish or so games assuming it never gets blown up by your opponents. Losing it to four-ones in two out of five games pretty much means you need to throw your dice away immediately.

Outside of that, I love me some Terminus. It most certainly is not the most points-effective unit in the book, but as far as the fun factor is concerned, it's top notch. I flank mine in friendly apocalypse games with two all-lascannon Predators. The satisfaction of 11 lascannon shots at, well, anything, is indescribable.

Jipin
03-02-2010, 09:14 AM
We allow all IA/Apoc vehicles & stuff aslong as it isn't Gargantuan, Super Heavy, a flyer or a Formation. Obv, Assests are not allowed either. We are playing a Planetary Empires campaign right now with those circs and nothing is unbalancing it at all.

Terminus, however, hasn't been overly effective.

gcsmith
03-02-2010, 12:25 PM
You can only use imperial armour units in 40k, Strength D doesnt exist in 40k. Apoc units are intentially cheap unit, and imperial armour is correctly pointed

Jipin
03-04-2010, 10:38 AM
As the Terminus is not a Super Heavy it can still get popped like any other raider. No Strength "D" on it, *just* a shedload of Lascannons.