PDA

View Full Version : Loota squad #'s mathhammer

Hunter245
08-04-2014, 04:40 PM
I've been preparing for a 1500 point game and am currently trying to figure out the math hammer behind Lootas. I'm currently figuring out the strengths and weakness's of 1-2 squads and how many boyz in Each squad.

So far I've been debating between 2 7 man Lootas squads because
1 loss no ld check, but two will force a check (note a squad of 9 would not have to check)

A squad of 8 will be the same 1 loss no led check but 2 will force a check.

So it turns out that I should run between 9-11 Lootas? What are your thoughts?

Tepogue
08-04-2014, 05:09 PM
I've been preparing for a 1500 point game and am currently trying to figure out the math hammer behind Lootas. I'm currently figuring out the strengths and weakness's of 1-2 squads and how many boyz in Each squad.

So far I've been debating between 2 7 man Lootas squads because
1 loss no ld check, but two will force a check (note a squad of 9 would not have to check)

A squad of 8 will be the same 1 loss no led check but 2 will force a check.

So it turns out that I should run between 9-11 Lootas? What are your thoughts?

It is more complex than you think. What are you using the looted for? Anti light vehicle is their best use. Are you staying with only 1 force organization chart? So having a cap of 3 heavies?

Also worst case, 7 lootas, 7 shots, yielding 2 hits. I build my orks basing on the worst case and being happy when I get more than that.

Your best bet is play ten games with 2 small squads and ten games with 1. large squad

SON OF ROMULOUS
08-04-2014, 08:32 PM
Can say that it is always better to have more then one unit of lootas and if your playing orks with 1 CAD that would be a bigger problem then determining how many lootas to use.

Hunter245
08-05-2014, 08:38 AM
Let's say for arguments sake that your restricted to 1 CAD, but have the flexibility in your list to run 2 squads of Lootas.

I calculate Avg hits/leadership data to formulate the perfect squad. In my army list the Lootas are primarily dealing with enemy armor, walkers, and potentially MC (Potential Fliers if I have to go to ground). Since I'm planning on 2 squads of lootas they are going to have to stay on the board (NOT RUNNING).

7 Lootas
D3 Hits Average # of Hits [Rounding Down]
1-2.33333->2
2-4.66667->4
3-7
2 Losses = LD Check

8 Lootas
1-2.66667->2
2-5.33333->5
3-8
2 Losses = LD Check

9 Lootas
1-3
2-6
3-9
3 Losses = LD Check

10 Lootas
1-3.33333->3
2-6.66667->6
3-10
3 Losses = LD Check

11 Lootas
1-3.66667->3
2-7.33333->7
3-11
3 Losses = LD Check

12 Lootas
1-4
2-8
3-12
3 Losses = LD Check

13 Lootas
1-4.33333->4
2-8.66667->8
3-13
4 Losses = LD Check

14 Lootas
1-4.66667->4
2-9.33333->9
3-14
4 Losses = LD Check

15 Lootas
1-5
2-10
3-15
4 Losses = LD Check

Is 9 Lootas the Winner?

SON OF ROMULOUS
08-05-2014, 08:10 PM
there is always one thing to consider with lootas :) you can put them in a battle wagon and they cannot be killed until you destroy the battle wagon. A simple tactic a hold over from the last codex but one to consider with the way 7th has given mech a boost it is worth considering. you give them mobility and protection allowing them longer to shoot and more targets. I would suggest playing dual Cad when you can with orks. it just seems to be the way to run them.

Dave Mcturk
08-21-2014, 05:16 AM
"there is always one thing to consider with lootas you can put them in a battle wagon and they cannot be killed until you destroy the battle wagon. A simple tactic a hold over from the last codex but one to consider with the way 7th has given mech a boost it is worth considering. you give them mobility and protection allowing them longer to shoot and more targets. I would suggest playing dual Cad when you can with orks. it just seems to be the way to run them."

^ this ^

lootas in battlewaggons! lots of decent strength long range firepower, if you play double force org even better.

makes all other orczez shooting look crazy bad.

not got the new ork codex yet - but cant see it changing unless flash gitz get 48" range or rokkit boys go to 10pts! [with heavy armour] !

Edwin Heapy
09-13-2014, 11:15 AM
Lootas in a BW does work but they also attract a massive amount of enemy fire. I have had some good results with multiple units of 5 lootas. They are small enough that they can make good use of cover and because there are only 5 of them their low threat value tends to mean they are ignored so survive the game. Whilst each unit will often fail to produce any spectacular results the cumulative effect of 2-3 units over a game is quite impressive.

Mr Mystery
09-13-2014, 11:26 AM
Mathhammer falls down the instant you deploy.

What's your field of fire like? Do you sacrifice a supreme LoS to take advantage of cover? Are there targets of choice in the opponents army? Does the mission you're playing (remember, you write your list before rolling for mission) require you to be more mobile than static?

jenkatron
09-15-2014, 07:23 AM
Lootas in a BW does work but they also attract a massive amount of enemy fire. I have had some good results with multiple units of 5 lootas. They are small enough that they can make good use of cover and because there are only 5 of them their low threat value tends to mean they are ignored so survive the game. Whilst each unit will often fail to produce any spectacular results the cumulative effect of 2-3 units over a game is quite impressive.

+1

Unless you are in a kill point heavy weighted mission pack 5 pack Lootas is the way to roll. Even in KP heavy they still put out consistently good firepower if your aim is tabling the opponent then go for it!