PDA

View Full Version : ugh need help against tau in a campaign! :(

sicarius2424
01-23-2010, 10:01 PM
i need help in a capmpaign i'm useing ig and have the new codex
the points start 550 abd each territory gives you more points depending on what it is and the max is 800
i have literally lost every game i have played him even out side this campaign (the most i have done is tie at best one game i lost all but one space marine :( )
no tanks with any armor value greater then 12 so no leman russ's
only need one hq and one troop becuase of the low point limit

i've been runing a ccs (company command squad) with 2 flamers and a medic the colonel has a power sword and a plasma pistol, a pcs (platoon comand squad) with a grenade launcher and the lieutenant has a bolt pistol, one squad with a auto cannon and grenade launcher, another with a missle launcher and grenade launcher, yet again one with a mortar and sniper rifle, and finally one with a heavy bolter and sniper rifle, then i ran a helhound last game now because i got a bonus of 170 pt.s i plan on running all that a valkyrie with missle pods and heavy bolters and a veteran squad with 2 flamers because that is what i could fit

NEED ADVICE ON WHAT SHOULD I RUN AND TACTICS!!!

slxiii
01-23-2010, 10:16 PM
chimeras... guys in chimeras.... guys stop dying.

DarkLink
01-23-2010, 10:20 PM
What he said. Valkyries are decent, too, but tau battlesuits are very good at killing AV12 (if they take missile pods, anyways), so Chimera spam is probably your best bet.

plasticaddict
01-23-2010, 11:01 PM
As a Tau and an IG player I can think of several things that might help, but if you could tell us what your oppennent usually runs it would help. It would also be good to know what you have access to for your guard list to us. If you can I would recommend not taking a platoon and instead taking veteran squads, carapace would give you a save vs. Fire Warrior shooting and you can take 3 special weapons. If you are facing Braodside teams deepstikeing Stormtroopers w/ melta or plasma guns are good,they can also affect tanks and transporst ifyou can get behind him. If you want to use sniper rifles take a squad of Ratlings, they have a higher BS and concentrated fire is the way to go with rending weapons. Sentinels w/ autocannons and Hellhounds or Banewolfs are also good choices. A chimera full of Ogryn w/ a Commisar Lord can also be a nasty suprise. But it really depends on what you are facing most often and how you opponent plays. Any addational info would help to build a winning battle plan.

sicarius2424
01-23-2010, 11:11 PM
As a Tau and an IG player I can think of several things that might help, but if you could tell us what your oppennent usually runs it would help. It would also be good to know what you have access to for your guard list to us. If you can I would recommend not taking a platoon and instead taking veteran squads, carapace would give you a save vs. Fire Warrior shooting and you can take 3 special weapons. If you are facing Braodside teams deepstikeing Stormtroopers w/ melta or plasma guns are good,they can also affect tanks and transporst ifyou can get behind him. If you want to use sniper rifles take a squad of Ratlings, they have a higher BS and concentrated fire is the way to go with rending weapons. Sentinels w/ autocannons and Hellhounds or Banewolfs are also good choices. A chimera full of Ogryn w/ a Commisar Lord can also be a nasty suprise. But it really depends on what you are facing most often and how you opponent plays. Any addational info would help to build a winning battle plan.

yeah srry about that he has a command battle suit sqaud with 2 in it the lesser of the 2 comander, a lone battle suit, a fire warrior squad with pusle rifles, another with carbines, that small 2 maned fast attack vehicle, and so vespids whisch allmost always wind up dying in every game (ccs }: ) he likes to get his battle suits behind ruins then pop them out 6" then shoot then fall back it kills really bad i can't shoot them or do anything about it and i have limited resources so i can't go out and just buy what ever i want i'll tell you what i have tomorrow

scadugenga
01-23-2010, 11:31 PM
for small points battles and with that annoying tau move, shoot, jump back rule (sure, take away the eldar crystal targeting matrix and give it to the Tau...) I would suggest mortar squads.

Sure, you're not going to be able to get rid of his armor save, but you don't need LOS to drop barrage templates.

And at 60 points for a 3 HWT of mortars, it's not a bad choice to add one or two.

therealjohnny5
01-24-2010, 09:44 AM
second the above, I play weekly against various tau builds and they can be annoying. Mortars definitely, Chimera's a must if possible, and i would say outflank whatever you can as well. If he takes first turn try and avoid having too much out on the table if possible. Tau will almost always win at the shooting at range game. Vets in chimera = good. Flamers = good, get in his face as fast as possible, cook with fire, assault. and take enough units if you can that he has to fire at, for instance 1 or 2 chimeras aren't as good as 3 or 4, at least a couple will make it in his face. Keep everything cheap and simple as well. The temptation is often to take point sinks. In this you want cheap. At least he isn't using a 38 model Kroot squad fully equipped for like 200 pts.

sicarius2424
01-24-2010, 02:49 PM
one problem i only haver 2 transports a chimera with multi laser, heavy bolter, heavy stuber, a rough terrain mod then the other is a valk as equiped as above :(

sicarius2424
01-24-2010, 03:05 PM
to make it easier i'll type up the list i plon on useing

ccs-50 unit total-110
flamer X2-10
medic-30
power sword-10
plasma pistol-10
troops
pcs-30 unit total-as37
grenade launcher-5
bolt pistol-2
squad A-1-50 unit total-65
auto cannon-10
grenade launcher-5
squad a-2-50 unit total-70
missle launcher-15
grenade launcer-5
squad A-3-50 unit total 60
mortar-5
sniper rifle-5
squad A-4-50 unit total-65
heavy bolter-10
sniper rifle-5
veteran squad-70 unit total 87
flamerX3-15
bolt pistol-2
devil dog-120
valkyrie-100 unit total-140
heavy bolters-10
rocket pods-30

and for the record why i put sniper rifles in squads A-3 and
A-4 is because they match up with the range of the heavy weapon

plasticaddict
01-24-2010, 05:18 PM
Try this, I used what you showed in your current list.

Set your CCS in a piece of terrain with a good line of sight (elevation is good) Use the Master of Ordenance to drop a template on his suits (unless they are in area terrain or have shield generators a hit will kill them) combined with an Autocannon this can also be used on his troops and vehicles.

The Chimera squad can move forward until they get in range and fire the multilaser and stubber into any unit he has, and the Vets can fire their grenades into the same or a different target (Krak for suits and vehicles, frag for troops).

The vets in the Valk, Scout move close to him and move 12", deploy and flame his troops, Rocket pod and mulit laser can go into his other troops or his suits or his vehicles.

The Hellhound will take out his troops, is a serious threat to his suits and can hurt his vehicles. If he's smart it will be a prority target and will probably get killed quick but that's ok, it's really there to draw fire away from your troops.

The big problems you have to counter are his mobility and longer range. The problems with your basic Infantry Platoon are you playing to his strong point: allowing him to move freely about the board and allowing him to determine when and where he will engage you.
Your troops are the life blood of this list: fast, hard hitting and durable. Carapace armor means all of your troops get a save vs. his troops shooting. By making your list, mobile you counter his mobility advantage and can help to dictate when and where you want to fight. By making your units harder hitting you can put a lot of hurt into any unit he has with any unit you have, this forces him to concentrate on one of your units at a time to remove a threat or splitting his fire and risking several of your units getting to close.

Company Command Squad
Carapace Armour; Master of Ordnance; Heavy Weapons Team: Autocannon; Company Commander

Veteran Squad
Grenade Launcher (x3); Grenadiers
Veteran Sergeant: Plasma Pistol
Chimera; Heavy Bolter;Turret Multi-Laser; Dozer Blade; Extra Armor; Pintle Heavy Stubber

Veteran Squad
Flamer (x3); Grenadiers
Veteran Sergeant; Plasma Pistol; Power Weapon
Valkyrie Assault Carrier; Multilaser; MultipleRocket Pods (x2)

Hellhound Squadron Hellhound
Heavy Bolter; Dozer Blade; Extra Armor; Pintle Heavy Stubber
Total Cost: 755

I play something like this with my IG either, all vets in Valks and Vendettas, or all vets in Chimeras with Hellhound and Devil Dog squadrons. It takes some practice but you should give a Tau player fits with your mobility and any of your units should be able to kill anything he is putting on the table. I know that a fast moving army hates loosing it's mobility advantage and once you take that away Tau have a really hard time surviving. Try it out and let me know how it works for you.

Akimbo Lizard
01-24-2010, 05:28 PM
I plat tau alot, I find it very helpful to use target priority, kill the Battle Suits first, case closed, Battle Suits crumble on massed firpower or even CC

slxiii
01-24-2010, 08:46 PM
I plat tau alot, I find it very helpful to use target priority, kill the Battle Suits first, case closed, Battle Suits crumble on massed firpower or even CC

Yeah, kill the battlesuits first.:rolleyes:
If you have tanks, kill the broadsides first.
If you don't kill his vehicles first
If he doesn't have any vehicles, THEN take out the battlesuits. any melta carrying squad will down them easy, and mortar are alright too, as they cause pinning. Suits laying on the ground are easy to ignore or kill at your leisure.

Akimbo Lizard
01-24-2010, 09:52 PM
Well better advice is find out what his/her army is based on the STRIKE it right in the Achilles Heel, this works for all armies, but does he really take Broadsides in a 550?:eek:

sicarius2424
01-25-2010, 10:13 PM
Well better advice is find out what his/her army is based on the STRIKE it right in the Achilles Heel, this works for all armies, but does he really take Broadsides in a 550?:eek:

no he hasn't used them yet but he has a pair of them

Fizyx
01-26-2010, 07:56 AM
This is just my opinion, but I do believe Tau is one of the stronger armies in smaller games. I'm not the best Tau player in the world, and I lose enough to keep my ego in check, but I can not remember the last time I lost in a small points battle.

If he is bringing Vespid, you already have an edge as they are almost worthless againt MEQ, and worse against anything else. Don't worry about them turn one, but take them out (should be easy) turn 2.

No AV13-14 means no Hammerhead, so you are set on that front. Since you have no AV13-14, he shouldn't bring a Broadside. Your biggest worries will be 36" missile pod shots and massed pulse rifle fire. If he brings Pathfinders, take them out first. If they get a few ML shots off the effectiveness of their 30" pulse rifles just increased dramatically. Take out the Fire Warriors next. Suits can be a pain, but have a limited role in taking out light infantry. If he brings a Devilfish (or two) try and get to those on turn 2. He isn't going to be doing anything extreme with them until later in the game anyways.

Remember, take out the troops and you have won 2/3 of the missions.

sicarius2424
01-26-2010, 02:18 PM
well early on in the campaign i had a mortar fire at his one fire warroir squad at the time and i took out basically the whole unit less 2 so then what was left of my storm troopers that had out flanked (the codex before the new one) assualted his unit. i did nothing and he killed one guy so they ran like the devil was right behind them but only it was 2 fire warroirs i was like wtf and my freind was laughing his head off

sicarius2424
01-29-2010, 12:46 PM
well heres the list that i came up with from what you guys told me and also what i ahve at hand

CCS-50 unit total-140
autocannon-10
master of the ordanance-30
medic-30
carapace armour-20

troops

veteran squad-70 unit total-232
bolt pistol-2
meltagunX2-20
plasma gun-15
power weapon-10
grenadiers-30
chimera-55
heavy stubber-10
dozer blade-10
extram armour-10
veteran squad-70 unit total-125
flamerX3-15
bolt pistol-2
power weapon-10
grenadiers-30
valkyrie-100 unit total-130
missle pods-30
hellhound-130 unit total-130
total-759

i plan on haveing the CCS sit in a high peice of terrain and bring down the pie of death then run the chimera and devil dog up one side (most likely the side with the battle suits) with them up to the edge devil do on the outside protescting the chimera's side armour of 10 with it's 12 then zip the valk with the flamer vet. squad straight to the fire warroirs and pour out all the fire power i can from the valk have the vet.'s jump out burn whats left then assualt if there are any left then either get them back in and go after the other one or go vespid hunting with the valk like to hear what you guys think on this one guys

plasticaddict
01-29-2010, 01:28 PM
I'd swap the Devildog for a Helhound and drop the bolter sponsons on the Valk. The DD shots scatter, the HH template just hits. To use the sponsons on the Valk you can't move over 6" (unless you are just going to use one) so they are wasted points imo. Same with the medic in the cmd sqd, I'd use the points to put grenade launchers or better yet plasma guns in the cmd sqd. if you have any.

SlavesToDarkness
01-29-2010, 03:59 PM
I realize you have limited options, but you will really need to go out and buy some ARTILLERY.

ONE basilisk can strike battlesuits behind cover even as it remains out of sight (or better yet, out of RANGE). Did I mention S9 doubles them out?

Here's a secret nobody knows about: GRIFFONS. 75 points is so cheap it should be illegal. It ALWAYS sticks its landing (accurate bombardment rule), wounds Firewarriors on 2+ and denies them a save AND it pins at -1 leadership. NEVER forget that rule. You NEED to get one (or better yet, two) of these things ASAP.

One will be dangerous to firewarriors, but 2 will destroy even battlesuits because they'll cause so many wounds.

As for everyone else: load up on autocannons.

sicarius2424
02-02-2010, 06:16 PM
ok i'll try to get a chimera and modify it to be a griffion then next been thinking on what to get next any way thanks yeah i saw the 75 point cost but i just never really give artillery a chance but i can see the value in a weapon that can shoot you without you being able to shoot back. and the reason that i gave the CCS the medic was becuase it increased the survivability of the unit being the most important infantry unit out there with only 6 men i just wanted extra insurance that it could survive most of what is shoot at it