PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars: Armada!!

Brakkart
08-08-2014, 04:57 PM
Presenting X-Wing's Big Brother, a game which allows you to field whole fleets of capital ships in battle against one another in the Star Wars universe.

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/ffg_content/star-wars-armada/website/ArmadaBoxLeft.png

You can read the announcement from Fantasy Flight Games here:

Star Wars: Armada (http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=4979)

Tyrendian
08-08-2014, 06:03 PM
well now that looks exciting as all hell - curious how long it will take people to come up with a way to combine this with X-Wing for some real epicness...

Houghten
08-08-2014, 06:29 PM
To borrow a well-used line from Dork Tower's Igor:

IT MUST BE MINE! *waves cash*

- - - Updated - - -

P.S. Wow, is that a Victory-class Star Destroyer?

Brenlak
08-08-2014, 11:20 PM
Wow this looks awesome, makes sense too, switching to a different system. If they kept it in X-wing rules you would need a bunch of hundred dollar huge ships and a ton of room, nice!!

eldargal
08-09-2014, 01:59 AM
I am so all about this. Highly accurate, correctly scaled, pre-painted to a high standard SW capital ships with an excellent FFG ruleset? Oh yes. I am going to go completely mad when they release an ISD. Buy a dozen. SSD! Oh god *flails*

Houghton, yup a Victory class on account of the winglets.

I wonder if there will be a way to link Armada and X-Wing? Like you could use X-Wing to stage the evacuation of the Rebel base on Hoth with the transporters legging it and then switch to Armada to represent a larger space battle going on above the planet (yes I know there wasn't much of a space battle above Hoth, I'm just using it as an example).

LostInTheDark
08-09-2014, 03:33 AM
If its as good as X-Wing they are going to have some supply problems. :)

Personally I think this will be even more engaging than starfigher combat, just need to rustle up a scale model of a partially built death star...

Tyrendian
08-09-2014, 03:41 AM
I am so all about this. Highly accurate, correctly scaled, pre-painted to a high standard SW capital ships with an excellent FFG ruleset? Oh yes. I am going to go completely mad when they release an ISD. Buy a dozen. SSD! Oh god *flails*

ISD certainly - they'd be stupid not to make the single most iconic warship of Star Wars. But even at that scale, a SSD would be ridonculously huge - they're something like fifteen times the size of a Vic... a good stand in "Super Heavy" might be a Praetor...

Houghton, yup a Victory class on account of the winglets.

and also on account of a balanced starter set - ISD vs. Nebulon and Corvette would be kind of a no contest...

I wonder if there will be a way to link Armada and X-Wing? Like you could use X-Wing to stage the evacuation of the Rebel base on Hoth with the transporters legging it and then switch to Armada to represent a larger space battle going on above the planet (yes I know there wasn't much of a space battle above Hoth, I'm just using it as an example).

or, if you've got a LOT of time and players, you could also try to play out dogfights within an Armada battle via X-Wing, trying to keep turns simultaneous - and the various Fighter commanders constantly bugging Fleet Command about reinforcements, who vice versa would demand better cover from their pilots... how epic would that be!

Mr Mystery
08-09-2014, 05:07 AM
Must have this.

Back of the queue bungholes! I may not have seen it first, but I'm going to act like I did!

Interestingly, the fight squadrons? Come unpainted....

Tyrendian
08-09-2014, 05:46 AM
yeah that's a bit odd... maybe just too small to get them to look decently with machine painting? also, they've got almost half a year till release (if early 2015 holds up), so maybe that'll change by then...

Mr Mystery
08-09-2014, 05:52 AM
I'm guessing the 'too wee' version.

Not to worry. Easy enough to slap a bit colour on them!

eldargal
08-09-2014, 06:47 AM
ISD certainly - they'd be stupid not to make the single most iconic warship of Star Wars. But even at that scale, a SSD would be ridonculously huge - they're something like fifteen times the size of a Vic... a good stand in "Super Heavy" might be a Praetor...

and also on account of a balanced starter set - ISD vs. Nebulon and Corvette would be kind of a no contest...

or, if you've got a LOT of time and players, you could also try to play out dogfights within an Armada battle via X-Wing, trying to keep turns simultaneous - and the various Fighter commanders constantly bugging Fleet Command about reinforcements, who vice versa would demand better cover from their pilots... how epic would that be!
Yup it is definitely a when not an if hehe. Fifteen times larger might not be that much bigger than the X-Wing Corvette so might be within the realm of possibility eventually.:)

Yup, it makes perfect sense. You still get the iconic wedge shape but it is small enough to fit into a starter set in terms of size and expense alongside Rebel scum ships.

One problem with that would be coordinating X-Wing moves with fighter token moves with Armada, but yes it would be epic.:)

Brakkart
08-09-2014, 06:52 AM

Yeah I reckon the ISD will be released in a wave that include the MC-80 Mon Cal Cruiser so that the Rebel's have something that stands a chance against it!

Tyrendian
08-09-2014, 07:10 AM
something I don't like is the price - 100$ for the starter set is really steep, and the models don't seem to be that much bigger than XWing compared to the dice...

Patrick Boyle
08-09-2014, 09:40 AM
something I don't like is the price - 100$ for the starter set is really steep, and the models don't seem to be that much bigger than XWing compared to the dice...

They look to be about the size of X wing large ships to me, which sounds about right; $30 each plus all of the manuals/tokens/templates you need to actually play.

Also is like to point out the ships are already not in scale with each other. A Nebulon should be double the length of a CR-90, and even a Victory class ISD would be triple that again, or six times the length of the CR-90. If they tried to keep it in scale things would get out of hand very quickly; an Imperial class at proper scale would be twelve times the length of the CR-90...

MarneusCalgar
08-09-2014, 01:13 PM
A Little expensive, but for an Imperial player on X-Wing like me... is a wet dream come true!!

Victoria class ships, yes, yes!

Grand Moff Wilhuff Tarkin, there we gooooo

Brenlak
08-10-2014, 10:29 PM
Yeah I reckon the ISD will be released in a wave that include the MC-80 Mon Cal Cruiser so that the Rebel's have something that stands a chance against it!

I can totally see that along side regular Star Destroyers, though I'm still figuring out how FFG runs their ship (It still clenches up when I walk into a GW, so a company that has what looks like great product support is a mystery to me) It seems logical, your gonna want lots of Star Destroyers and at a higher price tag, your probably not going to want to buy doubles of the starter set. begs to answer; will fighters be like upgrade cards in X-wing and come with the ships that can use them? I imagine so, which would bring up the cost of add on ships. What do you recon they will cost?

Not that it matters in the end. Do you hear me Fantasy Flight?!! Release this quick!!

eldargal
08-11-2014, 02:16 AM
They look to be about the size of X wing large ships to me, which sounds about right; $30 each plus all of the manuals/tokens/templates you need to actually play.

Also is like to point out the ships are already not in scale with each other. A Nebulon should be double the length of a CR-90, and even a Victory class ISD would be triple that again, or six times the length of the CR-90. If they tried to keep it in scale things would get out of hand very quickly; an Imperial class at proper scale would be twelve times the length of the CR-90...

Lol, too focused on the Victory SD to notice the Nebulon was too small. Pity really but so long as the SDs and larger ships are more in scale I don't care.

Ktan
08-11-2014, 03:07 AM
ISD certainly - they'd be stupid not to make the single most iconic warship of Star Wars. But even at that scale, a SSD would be ridonculously huge - they're something like fifteen times the size of a Vic... a good stand in "Super Heavy" might be a Praetor...!

21 times bigger by my most recent calculations! =D

People on the FFG forums were suggesting a sliding scale might be implemented. That said, that might lead to an dramatically UP SSD if it's playable within a standard game...

eldargal
08-11-2014, 03:13 AM
Yup 900m vs 19000m. A sliding scale is fine so long as it looks right, I'd actually argue the Nebulon B still almost looks right but not quite despite being half the size it ought to be. Hoping that implies the focus will be on more consistent scale capital ships rather than frigate and such.
An ISD is 1600m so less than twice the length off the Victory, totes achievable given the X-Wing size ships we've seen.

One of my favourite little Star Wars facts: The Imperial and Super class Star Destroyers were designed by a woman, Lira Wessex.

Mr Mystery
08-11-2014, 03:16 AM
http://splodinator.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/Shut-Up-And-Take-My-Rupees.jpg

Gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme or the kitten gets it.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_RIOEKuAViAo/TE7JbUd0BRI/AAAAAAAACC8/NE7KEA9_Nvg/s1600/catshoot.jpg

eldargal
08-11-2014, 03:32 AM
*watches kitten disarm and subdue Mr Mystery*

Mr Mystery
08-11-2014, 03:42 AM
:( Poor me.

eldargal
08-11-2014, 07:13 AM
Pre-orders up on Wayland Games. (http://www.waylandgames.co.uk/fantasy-flight-games/star-wars-armada/star-wars-armada/prod_29076.html)

Estimated shipping date is January 30.

Mr Mystery
08-11-2014, 08:22 AM
Sweeeet!

gredert
08-15-2014, 07:31 AM

ISD will be rough, but not as rough as you think haha, as despite what a few people have said, these ships are not anywhere near scale. They are scaled for fun games meant to be played on a 3x6 table, while giving some weight to smaller ships so that you could actually move them. For example of what I mean, a VSD is 900m in length. A Nebulon-B is 300m. The CR90 corvette is actually just a little beastie at 150m. Meaning in SW lore 6 corvettes lined up would equal a Victory. The models are clearly nowhere near proper scale, but that is ok since it would have changed the game dynamics from what they obviously want. The only way it would work scale wise is to have corvettes as flight stands of squadrons like the fighters with better values and less maneuverability. That could be cool but would not fit in the game they must want based on what we are seeing. Back to the ISD scale issues. I doubt we will see an ISD much larger than the Vic for 2 reasons. The first is that based on pictures from gamescon and scaling the model to items near it, I think the Vic is roughly Falcon length, a little less wide, but a decent amount thicker, so let's say 4-5 inches in length. In Canadian dollars I figure a $30-$40 model on its own. An ISD to scale would be twice this size (1800m in cannon, 8-10 inches on the board) meaning we now have a model hitting the $60-$80 range, and as you have said it is the one we all know and want. But what about a Super Star Destroyer? To fit scale it would need to be more than 4 times bigger than our hypothetical ISD, coming in at 8000m give or take 200m. This model would be massive. 32-40 Inches, so let's just call it 3 feet. How much would it cost as I imagine the amount of detail would mean more than simply 4 times more than the ISD I mentioned? How would it work as it would stretch across the whole map.

This is why this game will never scale, so expect the largest ships (the SSD I mentioned), hitting no more than a foot in length, and the ISD we started with likely sitting around 6-7 inches. Would still give us massive pieces on the board but keep them in the realm of affordability that FFG is fond of as far as their minis go.

But I did the combo game idea, as it could be fun. Have seen warhammer campaigns with BFG, 40k, and Epic mixed in depending on where the fight was taking place and how many armies were involved

interrogator_chaplain
08-15-2014, 08:59 AM
Team Covenant put up a demo of them playing Armada at Gencon for us all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrxO1t9wY10

eldargal
08-15-2014, 09:39 AM
Back to the ISD scale issues. I doubt we will see an ISD much larger than the Vic for 2 reasons. The first is that based on pictures from gamescon and scaling the model to items near it, I think the Vic is roughly Falcon length, a little less wide, but a decent amount thicker, so let's say 4-5 inches in length. In Canadian dollars I figure a $30-$40 model on its own. An ISD to scale would be twice this size (1800m in cannon, 8-10 inches on the board) meaning we now have a model hitting the $60-$80 range, and as you have said it is the one we all know and want. But what about a Super Star Destroyer? To fit scale it would need to be more than 4 times bigger than our hypothetical ISD, coming in at 8000m give or take 200m. This model would be massive. 32-40 Inches, so let's just call it 3 feet. How much would it cost as I imagine the amount of detail would mean more than simply 4 times more than the ISD I mentioned? How would it work as it would stretch across the whole map.

This is why this game will never scale, so expect the largest ships (the SSD I mentioned), hitting no more than a foot in length, and the ISD we started with likely sitting around 6-7 inches. Would still give us massive pieces on the board but keep them in the realm of affordability that FFG is fond of as far as their minis go.

But I did the combo game idea, as it could be fun. Have seen warhammer campaigns with BFG, 40k, and Epic mixed in depending on where the fight was taking place and how many armies were involved

I disagree about the ISD. The ISD is 1600m in universe, less than twice the length of the Victory and well within the size of ship being produced for X-Wing, similar to the Decimator perhaps. I think FFG would be insane not to make the ISD in scale with the other main capital ships. THe little frigates not so much. An SSD would certainly be too big to produce in scale.

eldargal
08-15-2014, 10:50 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BvGA9L-IUAAT7Gm.jpg
Open in new tab/window for larger version. Source (https://twitter.com/teamcovenant)

gredert
08-15-2014, 01:07 PM
You are correct on the length, I was off by 200m. But I stand by 6-7 inches for an ISD model as a way to keep prices down, and since I know I am right about the other ships and know that scale went out the window for those in favor of utility. My guess though is based on a guess at the length of the VSD. Basically I am saying whatever the length of the VSD is, add 2-3 inches for the ISD

Eberk
08-17-2014, 06:26 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BvGA9L-IUAAT7Gm.jpg
So a little question from someone who doesn't knows all the star wars ships...

Is that "Assault Frigate Mark III" a Rebellion Capital Ship ?

eldargal
08-17-2014, 06:28 AM
Yup, like most ships the Rebels used it wasn't something exclusive to them but it was a ship they used a lot.

Edit: Oh the MK. II (not III?) was designed for the rebels by a splinter group of Rendili StarDriove engineers according to wookiepedia.

Mr Mystery
08-17-2014, 06:46 AM
I am still excite!

eldargal
08-17-2014, 07:33 AM
I also am excite. Both for Armada and for Imperial Assault.

Mr Mystery
08-17-2014, 07:35 AM
Imperial Assault still not so much for me.

I'm sure it'll be an ace game, but for me any kind of dungeoneering should be done via Warhammer Quest!

eldargal
08-17-2014, 07:49 AM
I'm hoping IA will be successful enough to warrant a tabletop version. Plus they have a female twilek jedi as one of the main characters and a female smuggler so extra interest right there. Sensibly dressed, too.

Mr Mystery
08-17-2014, 07:59 AM
Lekku. Lekku everywhere!

Eberk
08-17-2014, 08:10 AM
Edit: Oh the MK. II (not III?) was designed for the rebels by a splinter group of Rendili StarDriove engineers according to wookiepedia.
Could also be Mark II. Picture is not that clear :)

I'm also exited about SW: Armada, just love fleet-based action. Just not sure which Capital ships they can release in next waves. The iconic ones, that means without going for the ones that only Star Wars die-hards know about. (the same with X-Wing, a lot of fighters there are completely new to me)

Mr Mystery
08-17-2014, 08:21 AM
Who knows? But I'm looking forward to it all the same.

I too am a fan of fleet based action, and though I greatly enjoy BFG, Armada looks like a nicer system due to how the ships move. Really gives you a sense of how ponderous the large ships are!

For me, the make or break is how the fighters work. Too soft, and they'll be largely pointless, too hard, and the capital ships might take second stage.

Tyrendian
08-17-2014, 09:11 AM
looking forward to it as well, but some of it looks a bit impractical - especially having to fiddle that enormous movement dial through a cluster of ships is going to be a real pain. Good thing they seem to handle Fighter movement and positioning very loosely or it would be even worse... seems to be more of a beer&pretzels kind of game rather than the very competitive X-Wing because of the general lack of precision - which is entirely fine by me...
Also, this seems to lend itself really well to being some kind of BFG 2.0 mechanics wise - too bad there aren't any appropriate minis out there afaik... but who knows, we got Attack Wing so maybe it'll happen... here's hoping!

Mr Mystery
08-17-2014, 09:14 AM
Meh to competitive play :p X-Wing is just fun fun fun! So much so, I'm going to grab my case and just look at my pretty pretty models :)

I'd imagine Armada requires a larger play area than X-Wing too, so running out of space should be less of an issue.

Eberk
08-17-2014, 09:27 AM
Is it to early to ask/hope for Huge Ships in SW: Armada ?

Tyrendian
08-17-2014, 09:32 AM
Is it to early to ask/hope for Huge Ships in SW: Armada ?

in this case, you could be called late... we've discussed that in this very thread, pages 2 and 3 mainly ;) seeing as they're already pretty much throwing true scale out of the window with the starter set, in favour of a more practical (and better-looking in this case, if you ask me...) relative scaling, I'd say chances are good we'll get at least a Praetor-sized ship, but more probably the Executor herself

gredert
08-17-2014, 05:06 PM
if we want more models we need to buy this a the rate we buy x-wing. And hell, even that game has slow, dripping, releases imo. Like wtf, want my rebel aces, they out yet lol? But back to the point, I assume based on what I am hearing around the net and from gamescon we should be fine. Minimum someone is doing the basic designs on a computer atm since it must take 3-6 months from start to release per ship

Patrick Boyle
08-17-2014, 08:07 PM
Revealing some of the Armada mystery, Team Covenant playing a couple turns of a demo at GenCon. For some reason it keep starting at the 2:30 mark for me, just start it from the beginning I guess. I'm sold in any case.

http://youtu.be/hrxO1t9wY10

EDIT: Now with the correct video instead of the Shut Up and Sit Down (http://www.shutupandsitdown.com/) interview, but you all should check them out too because they're great.

Katharon
08-17-2014, 11:43 PM
My local group got into X-wing pretty quick (one guy literally bought two of every ship, except for a few of the bigger ones), so we're all thrilled to see the capitol ship version of it coming out. After watching that demo from TC I'm confident that this game will do well. I'm just sad that I'll have to wait so long to get an ISD.

Mr Mystery
08-18-2014, 03:28 AM
It is curiously addictive.

I think I'm good for now, but I'm always open to purchases of opportunity! Don't feel a burning need to go S&V straight off the bat, but then their toys haven't been fully revealed!

Armada though? Hell yes to the power of TWEFLTYSEVEN!

eldargal
08-18-2014, 03:37 AM
if we want more models we need to buy this a the rate we buy x-wing. And hell, even that game has slow, dripping, releases imo. Like wtf, want my rebel aces, they out yet lol? But back to the point, I assume based on what I am hearing around the net and from gamescon we should be fine. Minimum someone is doing the basic designs on a computer atm since it must take 3-6 months from start to release per ship
FFG have trouble producing enough ships to meet demand so release schedule has slowed down apparently so they can ensure they can deliver shipments of each wave on time as well as dealing with backorders of older waves.

Did they give some idea of when the ISD would be available in the video? I can't watch it right now.

Katharon
08-18-2014, 07:31 AM
Did they give some idea of when the ISD would be available in the video? I can't watch it right now.

Nope. Not a word. -_-

Patrick Boyle
08-18-2014, 07:48 AM
FFG have trouble producing enough ships to meet demand so release schedule has slowed down apparently so they can ensure they can deliver shipments of each wave on time as well as dealing with backorders of older waves.

It's just a straight gameplay demo. I think Mr. Mystery is speculating based on the fact we already know what Armada Wave 1 consists of.

Also, I just noticed I managed to paste the wrong video in my post above somehow. Fixing that...

Tyrendian
08-18-2014, 08:20 AM
It's just a straight gameplay demo. I think Mr. Mystery is speculating based on the fact we already know what Armada Wave 1 consists of.

Also, I just noticed I managed to paste the wrong video in my post above somehow. Fixing that...

what you didn't notice is that the demo vid has already been posted in this thread... so maybe fix the fix? ;)

Patrick Boyle
08-18-2014, 08:42 AM
Wait, it has? I thought I checked...hrm, well, whatever.

Ktan
08-19-2014, 04:54 AM
I love the new card art for Howlrunner.

This is perhaps a trivial seeming thing, but it's awesome that her face is clearly shown on the new Armada card. Equality in sci-fi is often too easily hidden under a flight helmet and it will hopefully stop people assuming she is a he.

Plus, respect for maintaining an awesome bob that doesn't suffer from helmet hair =3

(If you haven't seen it: https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpf1/v/t1.0-9/10013646_817851908254792_741483026947985879_n.jpg? oh=44c17a90dc3adc15c4c770fb8e06af4d&oe=5481DE01&__gda__=1416132288_37fcf7951277397b6d124bff5644b85 5)

eldargal
08-19-2014, 05:14 AM
Awesome. I've seen people deny Howlrunner is a woman at all despite being on bloody Wookieepedia and appearing in SWG.

Gotthammer
08-19-2014, 05:26 AM
http://38.media.tumblr.com/a4ddf3434e47e3b77fdb7aebc1ebece0/tumblr_n85gutrSK21s0qqgvo1_500.jpg

First thing that came to mind with that scowl and haircut...

I mean the resemblance when it's the same length (http://i1344.photobucket.com/albums/p642/MegaBulborb/Screenshot43_zps81189009.jpg?t=1395987075) is strong. Also badass lady TIE pilots :3

Ktan
08-19-2014, 05:29 AM
Praise Be to Howlrunner, our Sacred Lady of NYYEEEEEEEEEERGGHHHH

That was my best attempt at a TIE fighter noise

eldargal
08-19-2014, 06:58 AM
Certainly an improvement on her SWG appearance:
http://img4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20130826040243/starwars/images/thumb/4/48/CiveRashon-SWG.jpg/250px-CiveRashon-SWG.jpg
I wish someone would give her a comic series or something, even a 4 issue mini-series just to give some bloody attention to the first and possibly only female canon TIE pilot.

Brenlak
08-25-2014, 10:15 PM
From the Gencon 2014 thread

Start saving your monies and rubbing your hands together like a single parent fireman who drives a Ferrari...

And look at the size of those fighter packs, decent!!

scadugenga
08-28-2014, 09:02 PM
http://img4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20130826040243/starwars/images/thumb/4/48/CiveRashon-SWG.jpg/250px-CiveRashon-SWG.jpg
I wish someone would give her a comic series or something, even a 4 issue mini-series just to give some bloody attention to the first and possibly only female canon TIE pilot.

Wow...that rendering...almost looks like they took a GoT actress and put her in pilot-garb.

From the Gencon 2014 thread

Start saving your monies and rubbing your hands together like a single parent fireman who drives a Ferrari...

And look at the size of those fighter packs, decent!!

Online retailers are pre-ordering for ~$70.00. Not too shabby for what you get. It may drag me fully away from Infinity for awhile.

Mr Mystery
08-29-2014, 04:18 AM
I'm definitely getting it. Maybe two.

Second one might be donated for the GREATER GLORY OF BOLS as a compematition pyize - see if we can't get more pilots on this board.

Brenlak
08-31-2014, 11:55 PM

Women of Star Wars Thread? I mean your all talking like Howlrunner is the be all end all, what about Ysanne Isard? There is nothing hotter, (and in a misogynistic sense more terrifying), than a woman with ambition.

"Ambition: The willingness to kill the things you love and eat them to stay alive" John Frances Donaghy

eldargal
09-01-2014, 02:56 AM
Oh sure Isard was geat when she was being written by a competent writer (eg her first appearance). Howlrunner is just significant because she was the first canon female TIE pilot and even now there are only like 6 who were TIE pilots proper not just women who flew TIEs sometimes.:)