PDA

View Full Version : Tyranid Army 2000 Pt

Ivellos
01-25-2010, 09:54 AM
I have Revised this in my most recent post below. Leaving this here to see how things evolve based on peoples comments. Remember this is Seize and Control Pitched Battle were talking about.

So consider this for a Size and Control Pitched battle mission.

HQ:
Swarm Lord - 280
Hive Guard - 60

Elite:
Hive Guard (x3) - 150
Zoanthrope (x3) - 180
Mycetic Spore w/Barbed Strangler - 55
Death Leaper - 140

Troops -
Termagaunts (x20) - 100
Termagaunts (x20) - 100
Tervigon w/Toxin Sacs, Adrenal Glands, Catalyst, Regenerate - 225
Genestealers (x8) w/Broodlord+Scything Talons - 160

Heavy Support:
Mawloc w/Regenerate, Adrenal Glands, Toxin Sacs - 215

Total : 2000

I figure I can drop the Mycetic Spores on top of any objectives that are not on my side. Hopefully a little later on in the game than early I can snag or contest the objectives.

What do you guys think?

Fizyx
01-25-2010, 10:19 AM
I would consider toxin sacs for the Genestealers. Against MEQ, the poison re-rolls really helps up the number of rending rolls. Even just one (or possibly two) extra sixes rolled to would more than makes up for the points lost.

I really don't see the point of the Death Leaper in this list. Yes, he is a very powerful character, but the possibility of him arriving with a limited number of models on the field makes him a prime target and easy kill, even with all his special rules.

Toxin sacs on a Mawloc? Wounding on a 4+ and re-rolling failed wounds is statistically less effective than wounding on a 2+, as he is wont to do.

Overall I think you might be nickel-and-diming yourself on upgrades you really don't need. The Swarmlord is an amazing character, but has limited usefullness against players who know to stay away from him with their big-time characters. The Barbed Stranglers can be nice, but Cluster Spines might be a better option since 18" should be enough range to find something and AP 5 really isn't too powerful against most armies.

Honestly I think that the most effective lists are still being worked out and the best course of action is to just play games with what seems to work until we can figure out what's what with the new codex. There are usually a lot of things that make sense on paper, but don't work out well (and vice versa) and with the variety of the 'nid codex, I wouldn't be surprised if it took quite some time to really narrow things down.

Ivellos
01-25-2010, 11:17 AM
If I can get the points for the Genestealers I would love to add Toxin Sacs to them I agree those extra 6's would be awesome.

The death leaper was intended to be a last min contesting and cause the occasional annoyance possibly to tanks or to just be a distraction. Really Its also there so I can choose to use the +1 and on the last few turns it can be a threat of contesting an objective. If there is somthing better I can od let me know.

As for the Mawloc I agree I jsut had 10 points when I finished the list and well.. thats what I tossed on it. If I get rid of the Deathleaper in the end I will use the total 150 for something else.

I had made a HT that was ALMOST just as expensive as the Swarm Lord and then jsutdecided that he gave me most of the things I wanted anyhow so why not just use him I want the ability to cast preferred enemy on a squad honestly.

I figured with BS 2 anything that is a template is better than normal shooting with the Mycetic Spores. I dont have my book on me but what are the stats on the Cluster Spines?

Fizyx
01-25-2010, 11:25 AM
5 points cheaper, half the range, one higher str, no AP and the same template.

Death Leaper gives +1 to reserve rolls, yet you want to bring your spores in as late as possible.... I completely understand the want for a last minute contestor, but that is why you have a Mawloc, no :D The Death Leaper can not displace models, so what happens if the objective you want to contest is surrounded by models?

It honestly depends on whether you are aiming for competitive or friendly. Honestly, this is not too bad of a friendly list. min/Maxed to a point, but definitely not uber min/max. However, for competitive play a 10-point here and 20-point there mistake can really make the difference. If you can achieve the same goal with a Tyrant that is 20 points cheaper, use the Tyrant that is 20 points cheaper.

Like I said, though, a lot of things are in flux.

Ivellos
01-25-2010, 12:43 PM
How about this a little more revised. with 3 Mycetic Spores dropping I can contest the majority of objectives with MC models no matter how many we end up rolling up. I reduced the cost of the Tyrant by not taking the Special Character he will have and give preferred enemy to all units in 6" as well as re-roll wounds due to the poison have a little shooting and possibility to pin people. Added toxin sacs to the Genestealers and made a second squad so they all have reroll to wounds. Removed the extra stuff on the Mawloc because I dont want him in combat.

The only thing is I would like the Pinning possibility from the barbed strangler shots opposed to the Cluster Spines.

HQ:
Hive Tyrant w/Heavy Barbed Strangler, Nerve Shock,
The Horror, Old Adversary, Regenerate, Toxin Sacs - 255
Hive Guard - 60

Elite:
Hive Guard (x3) - 150
Zoanthrope (x3) - 180
Mycetic Spore w/Cluster Spines - 50

Troops -
Termagaunts (x20) - 100
Termagaunts (x19) - 95
Genestealers (x8) w/Broodlord Toxin Sacs - 182

Heavy Support:
Mawloc w/Regenerate - 195

Total : 1999

Fuegan17
01-25-2010, 08:02 PM
i think this is a pretty good list, i only see a couple armies completely thrashing it. but with good tactics i see it doing very well and usually pinning isnt worth it, cluster spines on pods are very good for what they do. maybe keep swarmlord, sure he cant shoot but honestly HTs arent very good at shooting anymore. can use him to pinpoint where you want your genestealers to come in. and he allows you to trash certains units (nob bikers come to mind).

mercer
01-26-2010, 06:20 AM
Looks a good list, only thing I'd be worried about is that lone Mawloc getting blown away. Sure it can deep strike and pop up each turn, but you cannot assault after deep strike and it has no ranged weapons. It would only serve a purpose if it actually landed on a unit and thats it. Using a almost 200 point monstrous creature like that is a waste.

I know you probably don't want to, but I'd drop it. Its just going to get gunned down quickly :(

Ivellos
01-27-2010, 07:38 AM
I made a small revision to the army.

I had wrong point costs and what not....

Removed Toxin Sacs from the HT as they would be useless since he hits on 2's most of the time and even with the re-roll hitting on 2's is better. Then I tossed those extra points at making both units of termagaunts 20 points and then I had 16 points remaining.

For now I put Onslaught on one of the Tervigons in hopes he can make something nearby move and shoot. But If I can find a better place for the points that would be great. I am also looking at the Broodlords, for their points they are basically two Genestealers plus permanent Adrenal Glands and some for a little over that cost. I think having the one 4+ model may be nice to distribute wounds at least for that one round they may not be in combat.

Really quickly the following is the revised list.

HQ:
Hive Tyrant w/Heavy Barbed Strangler, Nerve Shock,
The Horror, Old Adversary, Regenerate - 235
Hive Guard - 60

Elite:
Hive Guard (x3) - 150
Zoanthrope (x3) - 180

Troops -
Termagaunts (x20) - 100
Termagaunts (x20) - 100
Tervigon w/Toxin Sacs, Adrenal Glands, Catalyst, Regenerate Onslaught - 240

Heavy Support:
Mawloc w/Regenerate - 195

Total : 1999

mercer
01-28-2010, 08:32 AM
Looks alright but personally I'd add another Mawloc, so I'd drop regen from the Mawloc and Tyrant and also the Spores from the Termagants. Now you have dual targets and unit redundancy for the Mawloc.

Reason I said drop those is if you take leech essence for the Tyrant you can get your wounds back. You can take that for free. The Mawloc has 6 wounds and only ap1, ap3 and ap3 weaponary will upset it, ap3 is rare and ap1 and ap2 is melta, lascannons and demolisher shots. With 2 Mawlocs I don't think a lot of armies can chip off 12 wounds in a single phase. Spore Pods, you want the Termagants to be around the Tervigon so they can benefit from the toxin sacs also, you can also form a wall and block the Terivgon from assault.

Ivellos
01-29-2010, 02:02 PM
The spore pods are only there to contest objectives forcing my opponent to either waist a squad shooting at them or leaving me contesting an objective.

I wont likely be using them to actually transport the gaunts.

Tynskel
02-03-2010, 07:35 PM
Give the Hive Guard a Spore Pod. Then they can land and get that side armor shot. Medusas will Cry.

Better to use the pods for units than just buy them. They are expensive, and there are plenty of other things to use to points if you aren't going to use them as transports.

The last pod could be used to bolster your squads. A nice FAT 30 Termagant squad = awesomeness.