PDA

View Full Version : 2000 pt tyranid list, critique very appreciated

Fuegan17
01-25-2010, 07:19 PM
well after playesting stuff and going over the new codex I've figured out what I would like to use in my army.

HQ
280-swarmlord
120-2x tyrant guard

Elite
180-3x zoanthropes
180-3x zoanthropes

Troops
205-Tervigon w/ adrenal glands, toxin sacs, catalyst, cluster spines
75-15x termagants
75-15x termagants
148-6x genestealers+broodlord, all w/ toxin sacs

Heavy Support
265-Tyrannofex w/ rupture cannon, cluster spines
250-Trygon prime w/toxin sacs

So basic idea is to run a solid center aroun the swarmlord, tervigons, gaunts, zoans, and tyrannofex while the trygon and genestealers act as my disruption units. with the gaunts and zoans i can give cover to the tervigons who can give cover to the tyrannofex. so pretty much everyone has a cover save or an inv save while out in the open, denying low AP weapons any advantages other than negating FNP.

Any suggestions, comments, or criticism? all are greatly appreciated

and thank you for looking!

The other guy
01-29-2010, 11:55 AM
Hi Fuegan17, here is my 2cents

First, have a think as to what the purpose of each unit is. or at least what your opponent will think is each unit's role.
eg - Tervigon - that is to take an objective and hold it.
- Zoans - they are to destroy tanks.

I like your idea of giving everyone cover saves, but im not sure it will work in practice, especially with rules for covering MC, and the disagreements going on about tyrant guards. Also it means that none of your troops can run, because it would break up coherency. or pinning your gaunts at the front would either delay everyone a movement turn, or go horribly out of formation.

that said, I like it.

Just questions to ask yourself - How are you going to make the most of your Zoans? and would 3 units of 2 zoans have better luck then 2 units of 3 zoans? (3 tanks squashed a turn instead of 2?)

Do you need Toxin sacs on your Trygon Prime? or on your Stealers? What is the Prime going to attack that wont be squashed on 2+?

Hope that helps?

Ivellos
01-29-2010, 02:15 PM
I like your idea of giving everyone cover saves, but im not sure it will work in practice, especially with rules for covering MC, and the disagreements going on about tyrant guards.

I suppose he should ask the people hes playing with but I know locally the guard make it so they have cover.

Also it means that none of your troops can run, because it would break up coherency. or pinning your gaunts at the front would either delay everyone a movement turn, or go horribly out of formation.

I don't see why people cant run. Unless your playing on a table with some really high up terrain you can usually just run everyone for at least the first turn if not even the second depending on rolls. As for pinning? Everything in that Synapse area is Fearless... No pinning :-P.

Do you need Toxin sacs on your Trygon Prime? or on your Stealers? What is the Prime going to attack that wont be squashed on 2+?

As for the prime I don't think you would want the Toxin Sacs, who wants to hit on a 4+ when most things you will kill on a 2+? Yea you get re-rolls but a 2+ is better overall unless you only plan on attacking T5 or T6 then sure the 4+ reroll will be nice. As for on the Stealers? Oh yea you want the Toxin Sacs! On Regular models, marines, guard, etc you get 4+ wound with re-rolls and on anything T5 or more you hit on 4+ opposed to 5+ so you could really own a T6 or more guy hitting on 4+ and rending on 6's.

Fuegan17
01-29-2010, 05:29 PM
Yeah honestly running is no problem and we play that the swarmlord/tyrant cant be picked out and gets the coversave if the guard are in cover. 3 zoans are there to make up for any inconsistencies that they may experience, perils, missing, hood etc. if i rolled better i prob would make it 2 in each unit.

and honestly the trygon has done almost nothing every game, almost everytime i wish i had gone with ymargls...so im considering dropping him for a unit of those mutating gribblies. almost perfect point tradeoff, which is a shame since i bought 2 trygons......well 4 but 2 of em are tervigons that have done admirably.

and yes the reason for the toxin sacs was so he could pretty much kill any MC he wanted to, if he faced another trygon he would eat it alive.

Tarrandus
01-29-2010, 07:39 PM

This critter should only cost 195 points.

Fuegan17
01-29-2010, 09:37 PM
yeah, for some odd reason whenever i looked at catalyst i thought of the crushing claws cost instead..... so i got 20 extra points :D.

The other guy
01-30-2010, 04:29 AM
I suppose he should ask the people hes playing with but I know locally the guard make it so they have cover.

What i mean is that on p51 of the main rules, "for a monstrous creature to be in cover, at least 50% of it's body has to be in cover from the point of view of the majority of firing models". So it can be very difficult to actually give a tyrant 50% cover. The current guard models only give around 40%.

As i said earlier, the rules have changed slightly on tyrant guard, and need a FAQ ruling. There is too much disagreements on what he can or cannot do with guard. if they give him cover or not, if he can put wounds on them etc.

I don't see why people cant run. Unless your playing on a table with some really high up terrain you can usually just run everyone for at least the first turn if not even the second depending on rolls. As for pinning? Everything in that Synapse area is Fearless... No pinning :-P.

You're right about pinning, my bad.
However, i was talking about what happens to me when i try to run in a formation. Everyone rolls a different number. THe gaunts at the front role a 1. Then the warriors roll a six etc. You have to go at the speed of the slowest unit to keep coherency.