PDA

View Full Version : 1500 Necron vs. Tyranids

SeanDMon
01-25-2010, 10:49 PM
Well, I played the game I had been planning for in the Tactics section. Here's how it went:

A TIE! ::Fanfare::

It would have been a win if not for a really boneheaded decision I made in the late-game, but we'll get to that in a minute. First, the players:

My Necrons:

Lord w/ Res Orb and Veil o' Dark

12 Warriors (Lord's Retinue)

10 Warriors

10 Warriors (Reserve)

3 Destroyers

10 Immortals

Monolith (Reserve)

Tomb Spyder

The Enemy Tyranid:

The Sorrowtyrant
Whip, Bonesword, Scything talons, Paroxysm, +1 Reserves (Forget the powers name), 1 Tyrant Guard

~4-5 Spore mines (Deep-strike deployment)

10 Genestealers

10 Genestealers

10 Genestealers

6 Warriors, dual Scything talons

6 Warriors, dual Scything talons

Mawloc (Reserve, for obvious reasons)

Brood of 3 Carnifexi, vanilla

If there was anything else, I forget

Mission: Capture and Control

Deployment: Dawn of War (Yay! :mad:)

Set-Up: 5' x 5' table. From my side, we've got a ruin and a forest in the lower-mid left, a Necron pyramid dead-center, craters in the upper right, and another forest in the upper right. All except the pyramid are area terrain, while the pyramid is just difficult terrain.

My objective is dead-center of my side's forest terrain. His objective is a bit of Tyranid terrain way back behind his own forest terrain.

I set up my Lord + Retinue in the ruin, and the other warriors in the Forest. He sets up 6 Warriors on the pyramid, a genestealer brood to the right of the pyramid, and his Tyrant right in his forest terrain.

I choose to go second.

First Turn:

Spore mines come down.

All other nids move in from the edge of their board ( in order from my view: Genestealers, Carnifexi, Warriors, Genestealers) , mid-level nids move up and Run. Not a lot happens, no shooting takes place, Mawloc does not get a 6 to come in. Spore mine blows up 1 Necron in the ruins.

My turn, all but my Monolith and a Warrior squad come in. That one dead warriors remains a casualty. My Tomb Spyder makes 1 Scarab base. I put my Immortals right behind my central forest, and bring my Spyder in between the ruins and the forest. To my far right my Destroyers come in 12". Lord and Retinue teleport closer to the Pyramid. Immortals and Destroyers get rid of the central genestealer brood, Warriors squads combine fire to reduce the Warrior brood by 2 models.

Second Turn:

Spore mines do nothing

Nids continue to move up. Hive Tyrant out of range to cast Paroxysm on my Destroyers. Central Warrior brood fall short of charging the Warriors I have on my objective. Mawloc fails to come in, despite the aid provided by the Tyrant.

Monolith fails to come in. I move my Spyder and Immortals into the central forest, as well as move my Destroyers away from the Tyrant. Spread out my Lord's retinue. Horrible combined shooting only reduces the Warrior brood by another 2 models.

Third Turn:

Spore mines do nothing

The Mawloc comes in, he tries to put them on my objective Warriors. It scatters 5" back towards his Warriors, ends up right out in the open next to what's left of his Warrior brood. Nid player turns the two central Warriors towards my Lord's retinue. Hive Tyrant moves back towards his forest. He appears to be trying to consolidate his objective. Warriors brood assaults my Lord, but the Carnifexi fall short by an inch. A Nid Warrior goes down, I lose, make my Ld. roll, Combat continues.

Monolith once again fails to come in. I warp my Lord over to the right of my forest. Combining fire from my 2 Warrior squads, Immortals, and my Destroyers I take the Mawloc down to two wounds.

Fourth Turn:

Spore mines all explode around my Destroyers, doing nothing.

Mawloc goes back into the ground. The single Warrior left turns to try and attack my objective Warriors, seeking to contest long enough to win. The Warrior attacks, does a few wounds and takes one in return, but I make my Ld. and combat continues. The rest of his army seeks to move back towards his

My Monolith finally comes in, warping in on his side of the table in between the two major halves of his army (Genestealer/Carnifex and Genestealer/Warrior/Tyrant), and my reserve Warriors warp in through the portal. I add my Spyder into the Warrior v. Warrior mix and squish that bug with a vengeance. The Monolith fires off its smaller weapons into the Warrior, Genestealer, and the Carnifex broods, doing some damage to the Genestealers and Warrors. The Nec Warriors take pot shots at the Nid Warriors, downing a model. Destroyers take shots at the Tyrant, do nothing. Lord and Retinue do nothing.

Fifth Turn:

Mawloc returns on top of my Lord and Retinue, scattered and doing minimal damage. They're now locked. The Carnifexi attack my Monolith, Immobilising it. The Nid Warriors attack my Warriors near the Monolith, and combat continues. The Genestealers and Tyrant cluster around their objective, now seeking to get a tie.

I warp my Lord out of the combat with the Mawloc and within 5" of their objective. I move my Destroyers up 12". Here's where I make my bone-headed decision: I didn't Run my Lord and Retinue up to their objective. Instead, I tried to use the Monolith, Lord and Retinue, and Destroyers to shoot the Genestealers off their objective. Abysmal shooting rolls leave the Genestealers to hunker down on their objective. I do, however, have the honor of shooting down his Mawloc with my Immortals. The Warrior v. Nec Warrior battle ends in a draw, as does the game.

End Result: 1 Necron Objective held, 1 Tyranid Objective held. Game Drawn.

Necron Casualties: ~8 Warriors

Tyranid Casualties: 8 Warriors, 16 Genestealers, Mawloc

I did much, much better than I thought I would. Then again, my friend wasn't playing the best list he could have, since he didn't have near enough Gaunts to make them worth taking in order to overwhelm me. All in all, a really fun battle.

BuFFo
01-26-2010, 02:14 AM
Wait a second....

I know your opponent didn't try to bring the Mawloc in on turn 1 because the Tyrant gives a +1 to reserve rolls LOL :eek: :eek:

SeanDMon
01-26-2010, 03:03 PM
As my Tyranid friend said, somehow the Tyrant power that provides +1 reserves also allows the Mawloc to come in on Turn 1.

Lord Azaghul
01-26-2010, 03:26 PM
As my Tyranid friend said, somehow the Tyrant power that provides +1 reserves also allows the Mawloc to come in on Turn 1.

Your friend is mistaken. The rule adds a +1 to the reserves roll, which can not be made until turn 2.
So instead of needed a 4+ on turn 2, he needs a 3+.

Hope that helps

Cthulhu
01-26-2010, 05:42 PM
However, I could see the potential in a DoW setup for bypassing the reserve roll for the Mawloc entirely, just bring him on from your table edge on turn one and have him go subterranean as soon as possible, at which point you can bring him back up on the table anywhere you want on the next turn without having to make the initial reserve roll to get him on the table.

SeanDMon
01-26-2010, 07:18 PM
Ah, well. He hasn't gotten that thing to come in on turn 1 in any game, so no harm done.

BuFFo
01-29-2010, 11:14 AM
However, I could see the potential in a DoW setup for bypassing the reserve roll for the Mawloc entirely, just bring him on from your table edge on turn one and have him go subterranean as soon as possible, at which point you can bring him back up on the table anywhere you want on the next turn without having to make the initial reserve roll to get him on the table.

Um, you could do that anyway in any mission....

Drakkan Vael
01-30-2010, 06:59 AM
My Necrons:

Lord w/ Res Orb and Veil o' Dark

12 Warriors (Lord's Retinue)

10 Warriors

10 Warriors (Reserve)

3 Destroyers

10 Immortals

Monolith (Reserve)

Tomb Spyder

You should hav dropped two warriors and gotten one more Immortal (and split them in two units obviously) (more hitting power on longer ranges).

Set-Up: 5' x 5' table
That is a big advantage for the necrons as a deeper table means longer ways to run for the Tyranids that arrive from the table's edge.

Spore mines come down.

They are never deployed in turn one. They are always deployed before any other troops from both sides are placed, right after the taking sides and before the game starts.

Mawloc returns on top of my Lord and Retinue, scattered and doing minimal damage. They're now locked.
That is impossible as the Mawloc may not attack anyone in the turn that he arrives. He must keep 1" distance to enemy models.