PDA

View Full Version : Space Hulk: Ascension Edition

Wolfshade
08-18-2014, 03:28 AM
http://media.pcgamer.com/files/2014/08/Space-Hulk.png

Joining last year's Space Hulk, and some mystery future year's Space Hulk: Deathwing, is Full Control's Space Hulk Ascension Edition. It is an expansiony sequely do-over type thing that adds RPG elements and Ultramarines.

"Space Hulk: Ascension Edition is a 3D, digital, turn based, strategy game, which recreates the classic board game experience, and adds new RPG style mechanics, new weapons and missions, new enemy types, an all-new chapter and loads of other new features to the single player and multiplayer experience".

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.spacehulk-ascension.com/public/images/SHA_Squad.png

http://www.spacehulk-ascension.com/public/images/SHA_customise.png

http://www.spacehulk-ascension.com/public/images/SHA_Galaxy_Map.png

Is that a BA & SW logo I see?

AirHorse
08-18-2014, 12:00 PM
Interesting!! Nice to see they are making changes to the game beyond simply cloning the board game!

Also, I think that in the current game its the blood angels you play as, and there is some space wolves dlc campaigns!

Kirsten
08-18-2014, 01:16 PM
can't see a format anywhere

Wolfshade
08-18-2014, 02:41 PM
PC I would imagine, Full Control seem only to produce them

AirHorse
08-19-2014, 06:02 AM
I think I read that it was PC, Mac and Linux. But I can't find the article that I read that claimed that! :(

Wolfshade
08-19-2014, 06:07 AM
mac and linux are pcs :p

AirHorse
08-19-2014, 06:23 AM
okay, sorry, windows, Mac and Linux :P

Wolfshade
08-19-2014, 06:41 AM
Sorry being an arse for the sake of it. :D

eldargal
08-19-2014, 06:59 AM
Needs more women...

Needs more Eldar...

:p

Wolfshade
08-19-2014, 07:04 AM
If Ubisoft can't afford the skins, how do you expect a little danish firm to be able to afford it.

Also, terribly sexist of you to assume that the genestealers aren't female.

[As a more interesting aside, if the nids do follow the insect-type hives of old earth wouldn't this make the majority of the nid bugs being female? {There you go gender equality men are the good guys (naturally) and the bugs are evil women}]

eldargal
08-19-2014, 07:12 AM
Yup lol, if they are like ants say then basically every nid seen outside the depths o a bioship would be female.

Gotthammer
08-19-2014, 07:13 AM
...the bugs are evil women

Termagants – A name for a quarrelsome, scolding woman
Dominatrix – A woman regarded as overbearing
Harridan – A woman regarded as scolding and vicious
Harpies – A shrewish woman
Hive Crones – An ugly, withered old woman
The Red Terror – ermmm…..

via (http://toyznthehood.com/654/dissecting-the-bugs-meaning-of-tyranid-names/)

Wolfshade
08-19-2014, 07:55 AM
Yup lol, if they are like ants say then basically every nid seen outside the depths o a bioship would be female.

There you go. Equality for all. What we need for balance is a male xenos race...

via (http://toyznthehood.com/654/dissecting-the-bugs-meaning-of-tyranid-names/)

I realised regarding crones, harpies -ix and -ex endings never really given much thought about the others.

I think in the fluff Red Terror and Old One Eye tend to use the male pronoun IIRC,

Though applying latin plurals we can get some "cool" names and a whole new level of geekdom and arguments.

Carnifex - latin butcher, let us assume that we are in the simple male 3rd declension (rather than the genitive which isn't really used in english, bonus points if you can provide an example :) )

So the plural could be (rather boringly in the whole scheme of things) Carnifices

Harpy, is rather boring as it goes to Harpies (also 3.One who is rapacious or ravenous)

Damn it, why is syntax so much fun. Damn you Gott.

Crone -> Crones (boring, yawn)

Haruspex (m 3rd dec.) [diviner who reads from the intestines of sacrificial animals; one who practices haruspicy.] pl haruspices

Exocrine (m&f) [Producing external secretions that are released through a duct.] pl Exocrines

Tyrant/Hive Guard-> Guards

Mawloc/Tyrgon/Tervigon these are all up for grabs though I imagine the -gon will go to -gons (as in polygons) oc (or uc/ock) will probably go to -ocs too :(

Tyrannofex - (in the form of m 3rd dec) pressumably fex as in carnifex, producer of , maker of etc. and Tyranno singular of tyrannus ruler/dictator/despot etc. so producer of rulers, doesn't quite sound right/good. Pl Tyrannofices

Hive Tyrant -> Tyrants

Swarmlord -> Swarmlords (snooze fest) though if they do follow the typical hive structures, I propose these be reclassified as Swarmlady

Tyranid Warrior -> Warriors

Ravener/Genestealer/Termangent/Homagaunt Brood -> Brood (though some people would argue that it should be broods, these people i would say were wrong)

Biovore -> Biovores an obvious portmanteau in the stylings of carnivore/omnivore etc. so an eater of bio(mass)

Red Terror is singular anyway but we can highlatin it up a bit Hysginus Tyranus!

Pyrovore -> Pyrovores [eater of fire/flames] not really that good should be more in teh form of exocrine such as "pyrocrine"?

Venomthrope/Zoanathrope -> venomthropes (pressumably in the form of misanthrope hater of mankind, same root as mysgonist (funfact)

Deathleaper -> Deathleapers

Broodlord -> see Swarmlord

Lictor -> (m 3rd dec) [An officer in ancient Rome, attendant on a consul or magistrate, who bore the fasces and was responsible for punishing criminals] pl. Lictores (which is slightly more fun than lictors)

Chris*ta
08-21-2014, 12:44 AM
Carnifex - latin butcher, let us assume that we are in the simple male 3rd declension (rather than the genitive which isn't really used in english, bonus points if you can provide an example :) )

So the plural could be (rather boringly in the whole scheme of things) Carnificies

SNIP

Tyrannofex - (in the form of m 3rd dec) pressumably fex as in carnifex, producer of , maker of etc. and Tyranno singular of tyrannus ruler/dictator/despot etc. so producer of rulers, doesn't quite sound right/good. Pl Tyrannoficies

Hate to be nitpicky, but the plurals are Carnifices and Tyrannofices.

I studied Latin for 10 years, pretty much all it's good for ;)

- - - Updated - - -

And I always assumed the majority/all of Tyranid creatures were sexless. They're all birthed by some creatures (I assume asexually) that aren't really described (except for the Gaunt, and that may have two different possible parents, so to speak).

Though there is a question of when genestealer hybrids (Are they still a thing?) gain the ability to reproduce sexually. 4th Gens are definitely able to do it, but does it ever occur at a lower generation?

Wolfshade
08-21-2014, 01:47 AM
D'oh the bonus second i is a typo :( so used to adding "ies". Yes you are quite right.

Meph
08-21-2014, 08:51 AM
Rosa, rosam, rosae... ubi est canis?

My Latin knowledge aside, does anyone know if this new do-over space hulk has addressed the soul-crushing stop-motion letahrgic animations for movement? Step-step-stop-turn-shuffle-turn-step-step... Walk like a machine of doom dammit! Even a lobotomozed coma patient can play the actual boardgame faster than that.
That killed that game for me....

Wolfshade
08-21-2014, 08:56 AM
Rosa, rosam, rosae... ubi est canis?

My Latin knowledge aside, does anyone know if this new do-over space hulk has addressed the soul-crushing stop-motion letahrgic animations for movement? Step-step-stop-turn-shuffle-turn-step-step... Walk like a machine of doom dammit! Even a lobotomozed coma patient can play the actual boardgame faster than that.
That killed that game for me....

There is a video on the homepage: http://www.spacehulk-ascension.com/home

Though I can't see it currently (behind work filters you see) but I am not sure if that shows any demo or gameplay....

Meph
08-21-2014, 10:17 AM
Hmmm they cleverly avoid turning any corners in that little film... The little bit where he walks forwards 'seems' to be a little smoother than the original but I'm sure at all...
Too bad I can't immediately compare as I uninstalled the original already.