PDA

View Full Version : Tervigon or swarm?

mercer
01-26-2010, 06:03 AM
So I'm debating on using 2 tervigons with a few goodies along with 2 units of 19 termgants, or dropping the tervigons and upping my swarm to bigger numbers.

I have thought with the extra 360 points, maybe 400 if I drop my trygon down from a prime, that I could get another unit of 20 termagants, 15 hormgaunts for bullet shield and a carnifex with twin-linked devourers and other goodies.

Working it out if the Hormagaunt unit was class as Termagants I'd be getting a extra 38 models for my swarm. Now I'm not really fussed about the hormagaunts, but would 2 Terivgons generate nearly 40 extra models between them before burning out?

Also if I ditched 1 Terivgon in the form of a Carnifex costing 200 points would I make close to 40 models from one Tervigon? Also I'll need to find a extra 20 points for the Carnifex which will mean dropping 2 Termgants from the existing units, making them 17 in total.

Its only the troops I'm having trouble deciding what to do with, but here's the rest of the my list. Though I'm not planning on changing any of that reall as I've got it all sorted.

Hive Fleet Krakken

HQ

Hive Tyrant leech essence, 1 x twin-linked devourers, hive commander & scything talons
1 x Tyrant Guard
Hive Tyrant wings, adrenal glands & hive commander

Elite

2 x Zoanthrope w/ Mycetic Spore cluster mines
2 x Zoanthrope w/ Mycetic Spore cluster mines

Troops

19 x Termagants
19 x Termagants
1 x Tervigon cluster spines, adrenal glands & toxin sacs
1 x Tervigon cluster spines, adrenal glands & toxin sacs

Fast Attack

10 x Gargoyles
10 x Gargoyles

Heavy Support

1 x Trygon Prime adrenal glands
1 x Trygon adrenal glands

gcsmith
01-26-2010, 07:00 AM
It may just me being new to nids, however i feel that with games ive played that the swarms die quick. so being able to replace is better than feild. epsecially wen the tervs can cap obs :P hope that helps

Fizyx
01-26-2010, 07:48 AM
but would 2 Terivgons generate nearly 40 extra models between them before burning out?

Statistically? Yes, 46-47 should be expected for a pair of Tervigons, but the randomness factor is high and you shouldn't be surprised by a large deviation in either direction. Hell, just this Saturday I had a Tervigon spit out over 50 Termagaunts before rolling doubles. Obviously that won't happen often, but it can.

mercer
01-26-2010, 09:38 AM
So a singel Tervigon could be possible?

pelmen78
01-26-2010, 10:18 AM
Yes, a single Tervigon can launch a LOT of models, or it can spawn 8 and stop. You're safer with two, and two minimum strength gaunt squads. Drop the upgrades you have on the tervs and purchase catalyst. Cluster spines is fine since it's free. Use the points you save for other areas in your force org chart. Catalyst-ed Tervigons can survive all of the small arms fire they take, and 6 wounds apiece makes them survive the heavy stuff. Keep in mind that every lascannon shot at a tervigon is a gift, because the killy parts of your list are elsewhere.

Tarrandus
01-26-2010, 10:21 AM
Definitely go with the Tervigons. They're tough, they're scary, and they make gaunts actually worth it. You might be able to buy 40 gaunts, but you aren't going to keep them alive. Tervigons let you hide 10-20 gaunts inside an MC while you are heading upfield and give your squads on the ground Feel No Pain. In shooting they give you some longer range firepower, its nothing great but its better than fleshborers. On the assaut they make you gaunts scary as hell, furious charge and poison, Gaunts e going to be wounding with 75% of their hits and at initative 5 to boot. Tervigons were made to work with gaunts, and they do a fantastic job of it.

mercer
01-26-2010, 10:57 AM
I'll give them a go and see how it goes. Will try with one and two terivgons and see how it works out.

Lerra
01-26-2010, 02:21 PM
On average a Tervigon will spawn 25 gaunts (assuming it doesn't die early on), but one Tervigon can spawn up to 108 gaunts if you get ridiculously lucky.

I like Tervigons a lot. They're a really fun unit and they provide great support to the gaunts.

MVBrandt
01-26-2010, 02:24 PM

A Tervigon cannot spawn more than 15 gaunts w/out burning out, and a game can't go longer than 7 turns, so at most a Tervigon spawns 105.

That said, the 1850 list I'm running right now is ....

Tyranid Prime x/ Bonesword Pair, Adrenals, Toxins

3 x 3 Hive Guard

3 x Tervigon w/ SyTals, Adrenals, Toxins, Catalyst
3 x 10 Termagants

2 x 10 Gargoyles

2 x Trygons w/ Adrenals

It's been highly effective, even when they burn out on the first turn, and it's still a swarm, but a swarm backed up by 14 T6 critters / 48 T6 wounds

Lerra
01-26-2010, 02:37 PM
On turn 7 a Tervigon is free to burn itself out and spawn 18 gaunts because it's the last turn of the game. That's how I got 108.

MVBrandt
01-26-2010, 02:59 PM
Haha, well played, and true! oops?

Cthulhu
01-26-2010, 05:34 PM
Personally I like having the maxxed out Termagant squads on the table with two Tervigons to start things out. Throwing FNP on a 30 man group of Termagants actually makes them survive anti-infantry fire extremely well, especially if you can grab some cover along the way. Keep the Tervigon within 6" of them as much as possible and they can do some pretty amazing stuff, I actually had a brood of Termagants that had been whittled down to ~12 models left tarpit a Plague Marine squad for 3 rounds until the Hive Tyrant got there to clean things up. They actually won a round of combat against the Plague Marines as well, but that was a combination of FNP, Toxin Sacs and the Hive Tyrant using Paroxysm on the Plague Marine squad, ok, there might have been some slightly above average rolling on my part as well, but still pretty good.

SlavesToDarkness
01-29-2010, 03:45 PM
I agree. If it were me, I would field 2 Tervigons.

I think it makes a better list.

But I also have a great love of monsters.

Caldera02
01-29-2010, 03:49 PM
Personally I like having the maxxed out Termagant squads on the table with two Tervigons to start things out. Throwing FNP on a 30 man group of Termagants actually makes them survive anti-infantry fire extremely well, especially if you can grab some cover along the way. Keep the Tervigon within 6" of them as much as possible and they can do some pretty amazing stuff, I actually had a brood of Termagants that had been whittled down to ~12 models left tarpit a Plague Marine squad for 3 rounds until the Hive Tyrant got there to clean things up. They actually won a round of combat against the Plague Marines as well, but that was a combination of FNP, Toxin Sacs and the Hive Tyrant using Paroxysm on the Plague Marine squad, ok, there might have been some slightly above average rolling on my part as well, but still pretty good.

How did your tyrant put paroxsym on the marines if they were locked in combat?

On a different note, I agree that termagants can do some mean things given the right circumstances :P

Cthulhu
02-01-2010, 11:47 AM
How did your tyrant put paroxsym on the marines if they were locked in combat?

On a different note, I agree that termagants can do some mean things given the right circumstances :P

Actually, having re-read Paroxysm I might have inadvertently cheated, oh well, I think I assumed that since it auto-hit that I could use it on units already locked in HtH. I still lost the game, it was my first game with the new codex and I was kind of testing everything out.