PDA

View Full Version : Tyranids - 2,00 points - another crack

mercer
01-26-2010, 06:16 AM
So I've changed my list slightly:

Hive Tyrant leech essence, paraoxysm, 1 x twin-linked devourers, hive commander & scything talons
1 x Tyrant Guard
Hive Tyrant leech essence, paroxysm, 2 x scything talons, wings, adrenal glands & hive commander

Elite

2 x Zoanthrope w/ Mycetic Spore twin-linked deathspitter
2 x Zoanthrope w/ Mycetic Spore twin-linked deathspitter

Troops

20 x Termagants
20 x Termagants
20 x Termagants
15 x Hormagaunts

Fast Attack

10 x Gargoyles
10 x Gargoyles

Heavy Support
1 x Carnifex scything talons, twin-linked devourers, frag mines & bio plasma
1 x Trygon adrenal glands
1 x Trygon adrenal glands

Would 2 Terivgons be better? Means I would have to drop the Carnifex, Hormagaunts and a unit of Termagants. I might get about 30-ish Teramgants back, so a bit less than the Hormgaunt & Termagant unit I'm dropping.

Plan anyway is put the Gargoyles with the wing Tyrant. Gargoyles should give cover save to the Tyrant. Gargoyles shoot stuff and Tyrant assaults stuff, can use those psychic powers to cause some damage as well.

Devourer Tyrant takes his Hive Tyrant bodyguard and walks across the field blasting stuff, the Carnifex will support it.

Zoanthropes some in Spore Pods and blow armour up.

Termagants generally harass units. Hormagaunts act either as a first softening up assault wave or bullet shield giving cover saves to other units.

Trygons deep strike in and maul stuff.

Ivellos
01-27-2010, 05:32 PM
If you can fit it you may want to add Old Adversary to the Flying HT. Then have the the Gargs charge with him. All of a sudden you have WAY more attacks and re-roll to hit.

I have seen lists that people plan to take with gargs with adrenal glands and poison to do the hit with Str4 and hitting anything that is t4 or lower they get reroll to wound with then if there is a HT hitting wiht it they do reroll both.

I say this because you probably dont want the gargs to sit there and take all the shots the next turn plus you can get an even bigger charge on whatever your attacking.

SeanDMon
01-27-2010, 07:11 PM
I do so lament the loss of choppy Tyranids. I wish people took more Hormagaunts. Something just doesn't feel right about shooty Nids.

mercer
01-28-2010, 08:08 AM
If you can fit it you may want to add Old Adversary to the Flying HT. Then have the the Gargs charge with him. All of a sudden you have WAY more attacks and re-roll to hit.

I have seen lists that people plan to take with gargs with adrenal glands and poison to do the hit with Str4 and hitting anything that is t4 or lower they get reroll to wound with then if there is a HT hitting wiht it they do reroll both.

I say this because you probably dont want the gargs to sit there and take all the shots the next turn plus you can get an even bigger charge on whatever your attacking.

I've thought about taking old adversary, something with toxin sacs within 6" of the tyrant would be very nasty. Though I want 2+ reserve roll for my zoanthropes and trygons. Will see how it goes as turn 3 will be 2+.

I don't see gargoyles as that large investment to use both adrenal glands and toxin sacs. They're just bullet shields and will most likely die.

I do so lament the loss of choppy Tyranids. I wish people took more Hormagaunts. Something just doesn't feel right about shooty Nids.

Is this a statement or a suggestion?

Tarrandus
01-28-2010, 08:55 AM
Would 2 Terivgons be better? Means I would have to drop the Carnifex, Hormagaunts and a unit of Termagants. I might get about 30-ish Teramgants back, so a bit less than the Hormgaunt & Termagant unit I'm dropping.

Yes, take definitley take tervigons. You lose some numbers, but you get tons of benefits in return.

It boils down to the question: What is the purpose of your gaunts?

Is it to capture objectives? Tervigons are scoring, tougher than gaunts, and can make a unit of gaunts on an objective have Feel no Pain. They can choose when to create new scoring units, instead of having them on the table and getting shot to pieces. Much better than just having 20 extra gaunts.

Is it to kill stuff? Tervigons have better guns than gaunts and give a mob of gaunts adrenal glands and poison attacks. 20 gaunts suddenly become absolutely nasty on the charge. 20 gaunts and a tervigon in assault are better than just 20 basic hormagaunts.

Is it to screen you other stuff? Tervigons can give your Tyrants a cover save, make your opponent have more target selection, and give you screening gaunts counter attack.

They may be expensive, but Tervigons rock.

Though I want 2+ reserve roll for my zoanthropes and trygons.

Nothing's stopping you from taking both powers. You can only take one from the 2+ save/wings/larvae list, but you can buy all 3 powers if you want.

What edition are you playing man? Nids could shoot better in the 4th ed dex. Warriors, Carnis and Tyrants had downright nasty guns. Even gaunts were better at shooting. Now Hormagunts are way more viable and everything got a CC boost. The new dex brought choppy nids back. If you're complaining about changes from the 3rd ed dex, you should probably get over it by now.:D

mercer
01-29-2010, 05:48 AM
Haven't decided exactly what to do with them. I guess one purpose it just to give me troop choices for free! Tactics wise I haven't thought of any until I play a game. Either way spawning termagants will be useful whether for objective games or for extra fire power etc.

Ah I missed the part where it says take any of the following abilities. Doesn't say either you can only use one turn, bonus! Will have to look into that.

Ivellos
01-29-2010, 02:33 PM
The point of a Tervigon is to Boost your Termagaunts to make them amazing. Giving them Fnp Adrenal Glands and Toxin Sacs? Start with one large squad per Tervigon so that you can get the Fnp on them and toss them in front so they give any other infantry cover so then now you spawn more gaunts or have more gaunt squads you will have spent all of 20 points for the adrenal glands and toxin sacs and get 2-however many gaunt units you have within 6". Heck even just to sit that unit on an objective and get the counter attack with the other bonuses is sweet.

Caldera02
01-29-2010, 02:59 PM
Three things I'd like to add.

I agree with the tervigon suggestions, at least one, they are sooo worth it.

I would drop the second Hive commander ability as on turn 3 it's useless. The ONLY reason you would really want 2 of them is to give two troop choices outflank. It's overkill otherwise.
Do like others suggested, Old Adversary for gargs is AMAZING. and give them toxin they wound anything on 4+, hells yea. giving them furious charge as well is debateable but probably worth it, need to try it.

One thing to keep in mind, at least in my experience, is that most people ignore your gargoyles haha.

mercer
02-01-2010, 06:25 AM
I've tweaked the list over the weekend. I think I'm going to give the flying tyrant old adversary as well, prefferred enemy for the tyrant and anything within 6" is awesome. I've added on toxin sacs and adrenal glands onto the gargoyles, this will give them re-roll to wound if anything T4 or below when charging and make them strike quicker than marines! :)

Thought of dropping hive commander, not sure so will see how it plays. 3+ on turn 1 is ok.

Also given dual devourers to the foot tyrant, should make it more nastier!

Tynskel
02-03-2010, 08:01 PM
Don't forget Thorax Swarm with Devourers.

Thats the 1 Psychic Shooting attack, 1 Devourer Brainleech attack, and 1 Thorax Swarm, then CHARGE!

mercer
02-04-2010, 05:58 AM
I don't think thorax swarms are worth the points tbh.