PDA

View Full Version : Interested & Starting Up

Xarga
08-23-2014, 12:18 PM
Right, so I've been eyeballing X-Wing for a couple of weeks now and highly considering collecting the game for myself and friends to enjoy with a few beers. There's just a few questions i have first that hopefully the X-Wing community can answer.

So the first question is where to buy the miniatures from, what website offers good affordability, reasonable delivery times and keeps good stock? A perfect combination of all 3 might be unlikely but where do you guys find favorable?

The second is what miniatures do you recommend to create a balanced starter force for both Empire and Rebels to face of against one another? I have no idea if this game uses a points system or anything, so i have no idea where to begin with buying two balanced forces. I assume the starter set is recommended and/or mandatory but i'm looking to buy an additional 2-3 ships extra per side on top of this, or is it worth buying 2 starter sets even? Or is it redundant to do so?

Lastly, are all games played on a 3'x3' gaming space or is that just the recommenced size? It sounds like a small area to me but then again i don't have an idea for the flow/pace of the game yet.

Thanks in advance people :)

Tyrendian
08-23-2014, 02:00 PM
I just bought all of mine from Amazon... reliable if not amazing delivery, and the prices vary quite a bit so there are bargains to be had...
I'd always recommend getting two starter sets, just so you actually have enough dice and stuff... plus they're dirt cheap and the ships in them are actually very useful. Further than that I'd probably get another blister of both the X-Wing and the TIE Fighter so that you have more ways (i.e. pilots) to play the ships you already have, plus some neat upgrades. After that it depends on your budgetary needs... TIE Interceptors are very fun to fly with and against, as are B-Wings, so those might be an idea. Or maybe even the older large ships (Falcon and Slave 1), because both the HWK and to a slightly lesser degree the Lambda Shuttle are support ships - and who wouldn't want to fly the Falcon...
Table size doesn't matter in a friendly setting - sometimes we just play on the floor and have no distinct borders at all, sometimes it's a quite small table and it still works just fine.

spaceman91
08-23-2014, 04:39 PM
I would recommend getting starter set, X-wing expansion, tie fighter expansion. That gives you a good start for some nice games. As for getting hold of the mini's it is really easy. miniature market ( for the Americans ) and chaos cards and The book depository ( in the UK). For anywhere in the world though amazon is always good but I know some people have an issue with Amazon as a company. Good luck.

Ps FFG website is good for idea's

lobster-overlord
08-23-2014, 05:27 PM
Good rule of thumb for any game. If you play at home, buy from where ever you want, what ever gives you the best prices. If you play at a local shop, buy at least some of your product through that shop. They can't keep open for play if you don't contribute to their bottom line. If you are an online buyer, and an in-store gamer, you're a part of the problem with why FLGS's are closing.

Personally, I go with online since all of my local stores are crappy and I don't want to support them.

John M>

Brenlak
08-25-2014, 04:54 PM
I don't buy a lot of stuff online( way to impulsive and impatient) so I have a couple stores I shop and then I make all my large purchases at my favorite one, I haven't played there yet I enjoy the comfort of my own child free home were exactly like you said you can have a couple beers and relax. Due to this arrangement we only really use ships from my collection so I have been trying to build it pretty even for both sides (even though I'm totally an Empire player).

It is a point based game, basically an X-wing is worth what two TIE-Fighters are worth and the starter set is pretty much mandatory (All of your measuring apparati are in there) but is worth the money for the ships as well as some of the unique cards that are only found in it (R2-D2 is the bane of my existence!).
I love Star Wars and so my collection of little ships is pretty big ( They look great on my living room shelf, and lets face it if you want a collection of Star Wars ships without hanging TIE-Fighters and X-Wings from the ceiling than this game is for you, in fact its also a game!), plus like I said I'm building both sides.
I would recommend:
The Starter set (I have two, it pays for itself in ships and the extra measuring sticks mean I can have a set on each table edge)
TIE-Fighter (Because you can never have too many TIE-Fighters)
X-Wing (If your going to get two starter sets the extra TIE and X-Wing aren't as important, you can get them later)
Y-Wing (This ship is a classic, plus the Ion turret and all those hull points make him beefy)
TIE-Advanced (Darth Vader's TIE, again more classic than really useful, but he is a pretty good pilot card)

I usually buy things in groups and this is my suggestion for the first purchase, but with so many options and ships out there you really can't go wrong either way, if you get this setup with two starter sets instead of the extra two ships it should be around $140, plenty of money left for pizza and brews.

3x3 is there recommended size for a standard 100 point game. 100 points isn't as much as you think it is. Yesterdays game of 100 point I used 3 ships (the Lambda Shuttle and two TIE-Bombers) against 3 ships (Z-95 headhunter, Y-wing and a HWK-90). Today's game I used 4 ships (X-wing Y-wing Z-95 Headhunterx2) against 6 bare bones (4 TIE-Fighters and 2 TIE-Interceptors) so it's easy to have interesting games without a ton of little models.