PDA

View Full Version : Final BoC Battle

Apollo3
01-26-2010, 10:19 PM
Seriously, only ONE batrep up here in the whole forum? May as well toss this up here, it's copy/pasted from over on The Herdstone. Hope you like!

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is the battle report of what I suspect will be my final battle with the current BoC. I faced off against an old friend of mine who just started a Bretonnian army. He usually plays O&G and I usually thrash them :) (see other batreps if interested) so he wanted to try something a bit different.

His list

- Bret Lord
w/ grail vow, fancy sword of +1 str and makes you re-roll saves, gromril helm, 5+ ward virtue, gauntlet

- Paladin BSB
w/ +1 combat res virtue, war banner (total of +3 combat res all on his own!)

- Paladin
w/ virtue of xtra attacks per wounding hit

- Damsel
w/ horse, +1 dispel dice item

- 9 KoTR

- 7 KoTR (BSB and Damsel were here)

- 8 Errants (Paladin here)

- 3 Pegasus Knights

- 2x 5 Mounted Yeomen

- 5 Grail Knights (Lord went here)

My list

- Beastlord
w/ chaos armor, crown of horns, shield, great fang

- Wargor
w/ heavy armor, GW

- Shaman (shadow lore)
w/ lvl 2, braystaff, dark heart

- Shaman (beast lore)
w/ lvl 2, braystaff, staff of darkoth, power stone

- Beast Herd (BL and shadow shaman here)
w/ 7 gor, 10 ungor, FC

- Beast Herd (wargor and beast shaman here)
w/ 7 gor, 10 ungor, champ, music

- 2x 5 Warhounds

- 4x Tusker Chariots

- 2x 4 Minotaurs
w/ GWs

- 5 Centigors
w/ shields, music

- 2x Spawn
w/ slaanesh mark

- Chaos Giant

I was really out deploying him at least, even if his units could most likely smash right through any of mine. I was hoping to be able to set up my heavy hitters after his to try and dictate when and where to fight.
Terrain from left to right (everything from my perspective) had a fence near the edge and close to his side, a large forest closer to my edge, a stretch of open ground, a med size impassable stone towards my edge, and another smaller forest almost directly behind that.

His deployment from L to R went: Pegasus knights in corner with mounted yeos, grail knights w/ lord (on the open area side of the forest), KoTR w/ BSB and damsel, KoTR, Errants w/ pali, mounted yeos in right corner.

My Deployment from L to R went: spawn and chariot near corner, centigors and BL's herd behind woods, hounds, minos, hounds, chariot, chariot, giant, minos, wargor's herd, chariot and spawn in corner.
The chariot in the right corner was the only deployment I wasn't happy with, but I had run out of places for it, anywhere else would have been worse.

Pre game prep:
Lucky song: F**k Like a Beast - W.A.S.P.
Lucky shirt: basketball provincials t-shirt
Lucky sacrifice to Dice Gods: infant burned on altar made of the cuboid randomizers

Magic: Shadow shaman rolled creeping death and crown of taidron, switched crown for steed of shadows.
Beast shaman didn't roll beast cowers (gah! <_<) but rolled hunter's spear and crow's feast. I switched crow's feast for bear's anger.

He prayed, so I got 1st turn.

BEAST TURN 1: centigors and BL's herd moved up to take position behind the large forest, both units of hounds marched forward, mino units inched up a bit, wargor's herd moved up close to the impassable rocks, all the chariots trundled forward a bit. giant also forward further than chariots but not full move. spawn in the left corner moved 6 inches, spawn on the right surged forward 11 inches. (this turn I forgot my spawn were marked slaanesh, so only rolled two dice. my opponent reminded me but only after he had started his movement, so we just left it)
Magic saw creeping death against BSB pali's knights dispelled, but I got hunter's spear off against the errants (only unit in range/LoS). 2 wounds from penetrating a rank, but one was saved by the lady's blessing so only one errant fell.

BRET TURN 1: He started by moving his pegasus knights a full flight straight forwards towards my spawn on the left flank. mounted yeomen units both marched up, the one on the right staying on the table edge side of the small woods. Both KoTR units and the errants made full marches forwards, the grails only moved about 12 inches to avoid being bottlenecked by the woods. The damsel had the healing spell from lore of life so didn't cast, and no shooting obviously.

BEAST TURN 2: I moved up with hounds in front the grail knights hoping to get them to overrun after slaughtering them, and the other hounds moved up to the BSB's unit with the same plan in mind. Centigors moved up into the large woods, angling out left to charge the yeomen, BL's herd also moved into the large woods. chariot on the left stayed put, both central chariots inched up, as did the minos again, giant moved forward in front of the errant unit (unfortunately out of range for terror). wargor's unit moved forwards, staying out of the errant's and yeoman's charge arcs. chariot on right moved forward.
Spawn on left moved 15 inches forward and ran into the pegasus knights, spawn on the right faltered about an inch and a half in front of the mounted yeomen.
This time hunter's spear was dispelled, then I miscast creeping death. Rolled an 8, took a str4 hit which failed to wound, then ended the magic phase.
Spawn's combat with pegasus knights didn't go too well. Rolled 5 hits, 2 wounded, both were easily saved. spawn was wounded twice with the hits back so down to one wound.

BRET TURN 2: Grails and KoTR both charged the bait hound units (bahahaha). He said "whatever I'll just overrun my grail knights out of your herd's charge arc" to which I replied "charge arc? of which charge arc do you speak? oh, you mean my 360 degree skirmisher charge arc?" "oh...damn it". Mounted yeos on the right flank passed their fear check to charge the spawn, they were stuck there the rest of the game. The spawn was wounded once at some point and he didn't cause a single wound, won't mention them again. knights errant charged the giant, ignoring the terror because of their special rule (forgot about that one). KoTR moved up past the giant (passed terror test) towards the chariots and minos I had held back. Mounted yeomen on left angled to accept the charge of the centigors next turn.
combat: pegasus knights took the last wound off the spawn, BSB's knights caused exactly 5 wounds to kill the hounds. The grail knights + lord absolutely rocked the other hounds causing 13 wounds. Knights errant + paladin wounded the giant 4 times, he swung his club back at them killing 2, then held stubbornly in combat. Grail knights held back the overrun to keep from being flanked by my BL's unit, BSB's unit overran a bit towards a unit of minos.

BEAST TURN 3: chariot on left charged the pegasus knights, just barely reached them with about half a millimeter to spare :). Centigors charged out of the woods into the yeomen. BL's herd charged the Grails all on their own! I wish I had moved up my minos further for support, but they were way too far away and I couldn't leave that deadly unit alone to run around killing my stuff. The minos that I should have moved up instead charged towards the BSB's unit but failed by a bit so just plodded up half way. The two chariots were in range of the plain KoTR unit though and combo charged it. The other mino unit was a bit too far away and also didn't have room to front charge, so they moved up and angled to flank charge next turn if the KoTR were still around. Wargor's herd flank charged the errants who were fighting the giant. the chariot didn't have any room left to maneuver in for a charge so I turned it to go towards the pegasus knights who I was sure were going to cause me problems later. Oh yeah, and bear's anger on my wargor was of course dispelled.
Combat! chariot hitting the pegasus knights caused 7 impact hits! two wounded and both got through the armor so one knight fell from the sky. tuskgors, ungor, and bestigor managed one more wound between them. The two knights then swung back and fluffed, but one of the pegasus's attacks put a wound on the chariot. knights lost combat but stuck the Ld test.
Centigors killed one yeoman, yeomen killed one centigor, combat stuck.
Important combat between BL's herd and the grails: His lord challenges and I accept with the foe render. I need the BL's great fang for carving up grail knights! foe render fails miserably of course, gets smacked down with +2 overkill. the gors do nothing, BL kills two grails, and as a nice surprise the shaman also beats one down with his braystaff. Combat ends at +1 in my favor (outnumbering, and glad I took the full command!) and his grails can't attack back. He easily passes the break test <_<.
Double chariot combat goes well. 11 impact hits between them caused 2 wounds, with a further 2 caused by the crew. KoTR fail break test, BSB allows reroll, they fail again! They escape and run 16 inches, chariots only manage to go 10 and 7 inches.
Wargor kills one errant while his herd does nothing, the paladin and remaining errants put the last two wounds on the giant and he falls over and clips my herd, killing one ungor. I still win the combat by 1, he passes the break test. *sigh*

BRET TURN 3: The fleeing KoTR rally and turn around. He declares charge with his BSB unit into my minos and passes his fear check (he's really nailing the Ld checks this game). Everything else is engaged already or can't charge, so on to combat!
His lord challenges again, I accept with my shaman, he gets cut down with two wounds. BL gets to strike before the grails but opts to exchange his great fang for a wiffle bat and does nothing. The two grail knights hit back against the herd and kill three gors :(. I lose the combat, break, and flee 10 inches. he rolls his pursue which come up a 5 *gasp!*, a two,...and a one! I live! For now...
The mounted yeomen fail to wound the centigors while they kill one back. He finally fails a break test and the yeomen run, centigors pursue but can't quite catch them.
Pegasus knights wound the chariot again, but the crew and tuskgors wound back as well killing the already wounded knight. combat sticks.
BSB's unit puts the hurt on the mino unit killing one mino and wounding another twice. Both my wounds back are saved by the lady's blessing. Curse you, lady of the lake! I lose combat by a huge amount, break and flee, and am caught by the pursuing knights.
Knights errant and their paladin friend kill 4 gors for one wound in return, again thanks to the wargor. I lose the combat but roll snake eyes on the break test so I stick around to fight again. He turns his unit to face me, so no more flank bonus.

BEAST TURN 4: This is the pivotal do-or-die turn for me. I just barely rally my BL's herd thanks to both musician and the crown of horn's effects. If they had kept fleeing I would have been toast. Centigors charge the fleeing yeomen and chase them off the table. My chariot team of doom once again charges the rallied KoTR, they hold. My other unit of minos and my other chariot move into position to charge the KoTR w/ BSB who just slaughtered my first mino unit. I then manage to case bear's anger with irresistible force onto my wargor.
Combat between chariot and pegasus knight results in no wounds either way. sticks again.
The chariot team once again rolls 11 impact hits between them, but this time only wound once. One of the bestigor crew manage a kill as well. One knight attacks back and does nothing. He again breaks and flees and I miss catching him again. He's only a few inches from his board edge at this point though.
Now that the wargor has bear's anger on him he finally kicks it into overdrive hitting with 4 of 6 attacks and wounding with all 4. armor save rolls come up with three ones, he rolls for lady's ward save...three two's. :D All that's left of the unit is the paladin who misses his attacks and is then felled by an ungor's spear after the shaman bops him on the head with his braystaff. What a satisfying end to a long combat!

BRET TURN 4: The three remaining KoTR, you guessed it, nail their rally test and so turn around again to face the chariot duo. The Lord and his two grail knights charge the Beastlord's herd. They are only two inches away so I can't even think of fleeing. BSB's unit (who has yet to suffer any damage btw) turns to face the oncoming minos and chariot, confident in their static combat res of +6. He fails to dispel the bear's anger (rolled snake eyes in attempt).
Pegasus knight and chariot once again grind to no effect, stick once more.
Bret lord challenges my BL who must accept. He strikes out and wounds the BL twice. BL lashes back and also manages to wound twice thanks to the great fang bypassing armour saves. He almost forgot his 5+ ward, but when he rolled for it the dice came up a 2 and a 4, so no luck there. The two grail knights only kill a single gor and then one of them falls to a return attack! We are even on wounds/banner for combat res but I outnumber him so win by 1. He rolls boxcars for his break test, measured the distance to his BSB and he is too far away B). He's stuck with the 12 and has to flee. He rolls 14 for his flee distance so I can't catch him, but I pursue anyways and go 11 inches.

BEAST TURN 5: Beastlord's herd of course charge the fleeing lord and grail knight, they evade pursuit again but go way too far and end up close to the table edge. Chariot team AGAIN charges the KoTR (deja vu anyone?) who just flee and go off the table edge, chariots in hot pursuit.
The minos and chariot charge the BSB's unit who fail their fear test and so will need 6s to hit. Wargor's herd moves towards the BSB vs. mino + chariot combat. Centigors come back onto the table and make a move towards the incredibly boring pegasus combat. It immediately becomes more interesting though when the chariot crew finally wound the peg, and it breaks and flees into the newly arrived centigors. What a team!
Chariot causes 3 impact hits on the KoTR + BSB unit which do no wounds. He tries to challenge with his BSB to minimize attacks against him, luckily I didn't take a unit champ! so I get to allocate all 6 mino attacks against him. Only three hit, so I'm worried I won't manage to kill him. luckily all three wound, one gets stopped by his armour, but the other two get past his lady's blessing ward save, dropping the combat res generator from his horse! The bestigor in the chariot chops down another knight, as does one of the tuskgors, the knights fail to do any wounds in return. This swings combat to +4 in my favor. He fails the break test and flees 13 inches. I roll for my chariot's pursuit first, it only goes 9. Minos roll 15 inches with their extra dice from bloodgreed, so catch and devour the cowardly knights!

BRET TURN 5: He rallies the fleeing lord and grail knight buddy and turns them around.

BEAST TURN 6: Beastlord's herd charges Bret lord, chariots re-enter the battlefield, other stuff moves around to capture table quarters.
BL challenges the Bret Lord who accepts. I get to strike first from charging and put the final wound on him. He almost rolled for his ward save, but then remembered he lost it due to breaking from combat and losing the blessing. The other gors don't manage to bring down the final grail knight, he attacks back and kills another gor. Then he breaks and flees off the table. End game. Well except for the spawn fighting the mounted yeomen, but nothing can reach there to help in time and they both do nothing in combat.

Victory for the Beasts!

Post game thoughts:
Magic mattered only once with the bear's anger spell going through, but I was kinda hoping to do a little more damage with my spells that ignored armour saves. Points may have been better spent on more wargors in this situation.
The BSB unit with +6 static combat res really hurts. If he had put his lord in that unit I don't think I would have had an answer for it. Scary. Honestly I got lucky to bring down the BSB in a single round, this was a huge swing in combat resolution. I was expecting to lose that combat and have him overrun, bringing the unit into easy flank charge range for my Wargor's herd to have another crack at it. That one could have gone either way.
The ongoing combat between the chariot and the pegasus knights was a saving grace for me in this game. If he had used them more effectively he could have swept the floor with me in turn 3. It was only his third battle with brets and only second using the peg unit, so he hadn't really clued into their destructive potential. It worked in my favor that he tends to be very linear in his battle plans, attacking whatever is directly in front of whatever unit, even with a very maneuverable unit like the pegasus knights. Must come from playing a huge orc heavy O&G army for so long :P

Well with that I end off my run with BoC. I ended up with 75 wins, 6 ties, and 3 losses over the course of about a year and a half, maybe two years since I started keeping track. I had lots of fun playing this army and will look back on it fondly. Now bring on the new book!