PDA

View Full Version : True Grit (once and for all) [REPOSTED after tragic mod accident]

CrusherJoe
08-03-2009, 04:05 PM
Hey guys.

Looks like I kind of screwed the pooch on merging the two threads and then attempting to clean up a duplicate post...and the end result is the thread (make that "threads", both threads post-merge) got deleted. Permanently. That's right, "We may be half-wits, but we do nothing by halves."

Luckily, I still had the entire thread cached, so I'll post everything that was in the thread in the next post. Unfortunately the individual posts themselves are gone, but I've salvaged the text from them and have separated them, in order, with the original posting time and author's nick.

I'm terribly sorry about this, and I hope it doesn't derail what was promising to be a good conversation...

Oh, and BTW feel free to mock me about it, I deserve it. :rolleyes:

crazyredpraetorian
08-03-2009, 04:10 PM
Consider yourself mocked!!!:D

CrusherJoe
08-03-2009, 04:11 PM
Today, 11:27 AM #1 & #2
Jearden

I have read, seen, and have had it explained to me several differant ways, but I want to get opinions of how True Grit works, maybe answer everyones questions once and for all.it.

This is the way I understand that it works:
1.) You get have a Bolter and Close Combat Weapons thus gaining +1 attack in the Assault Phase.
2.) When you charge you do not get the +1 attack bonus for charging.
3.) You can not shoot the bolter in the Shooting Phase and Charge because Bolters are Rapid Fire weapons.

Now I have seen people state that you can shoot and charge, and Ive heard that you get +1 when charging as its just like having a bolt pistol. What are peoples opinions of all this? Are all my statements true, or am I playing this wrong?

Thanks for all your opinions in advance.

Today, 11:38 AM #3
Warbosssezhi

As I understand it it is as such:

Models with true grit and a close combat weapon always count as having 2 attack (or +1 if the profile has more than one), they get no bonus for charging at all. This being said they still count as having the extra attack if THEY are charged as well.

You may not shoot a bolter and charge(silly I know), and the comment about treating it likea bolt pistol was meant IMHO to help people visualize the Space Wolf bashing someone with the bolter.

Of course these are my humble opinions.

Today, 11:39 AM #4
bob

The 1 to 3 listed is it

Today, 11:46 AM #5
Slann

Warbossssss has it right .

Today, 12:19 PM #6
BuFFo

I don't know where you are reading true grit from, but I only know of it in the space wolves codex, so I will answer using that book. I don't play chaos or marines, so forgive my ignorance if you are asking for an army I am not familiar with, like plague marines, etc...

Sorry if this isn't what you wanted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jearden
1.) You get have a Bolter and Close Combat Weapons thus gaining +1 attack in the Assault Phase.

Page 4, under True Grit, the answer is there. Middle of paragraph.

Quote:
2.) When you charge you do not get the +1 attack bonus for charging.

Page 4, under True Grit, the answer is there. Last sentence.

Quote:
3.) You can not shoot the bolter in the Shooting Phase and Charge because Bolters are Rapid Fire weapons.

You are correct, unless a true grit rule in a codex overrides this.

Today, 12:21 PM #7
Zombie Savant

I think that your interpretation of 1, 2, and 3 are all correct.

If you fire the bolter, you could NOT charge as it is a rapid fire weapon, and the wording of True Grit only allows for it apply on a model that has not charged that phase anyway. However, if you were in a situation where, let's say you rapid fired at a squad of gaunts, and then were charged in their turn, you would indeed get the + 1 attacks. What this presently does is basically allow you to always have a +1 bonus to your attacks, but never more.

As a point of clarification, if you charge, the bonus for true grit doesn't apply, so you get +1 for charging. If you don't charge, you get no charge bonus (obviously, haha), but true grit does apply, so you get +1 for that.

The only case I can think of where you could fire and charge thereafter is a model with this special skill and an assault weapon (PAGK with Stormbolters, for instance).

So, I think you've been playing it perfectly right!

Today, 12:24 PM #8
BuFFo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Savant View Post
As a point of clarification, if you charge, the bonus for true grit doesn't apply, so you get +1 for charging.

Space Wolves True Grit specifically says you cannot get the bonus if the unit charges. Is this written differently than another True Grit rule you are reading from?

Today, 12:33 PM #9
Zombie Savant

Hmm, yes, I 'm reading from Codex: Daemon Hunters. The way it's phrased herein is that True Grit only applies in a turn where you do not charge. So on a turn where you do not charged, you would still gain the bonus from charging, just not from true grit. There is no specific proscription saying that they do not get a bonus for charging normally.

I don't own the Codex for Space Wolfs, so I beg your pardon if I'm in error. It makes more sense, as the OP was referring to models with bolters with true grit, which don't exist within C: DH.

Actually, reading back through mine and your reply, there might be a miscommunication here. I was just trying to say that you always end up with a +1 attack bonus, whether you charge or don't charge, and that you can never get +2 from charging and true grit "stacking" as they don't apply at the same time. I think the way I phrased it before made it seem as though you WOULD get the +2 for stacking?

Today, 12:38 PM #10
Jearden

I do play Space Wolves, and the way I posted it is how I have always played it (since I read it exactly as you did BuFFo). I have just seen a lot of other people play it differantly and wanted to get a consensus. Ive even seen it stated incorrectly on a YouTube video by a guy giving Space Wolf Tactics.

Thanks, Im sure other will have opinoins, and Im more than willing to listen to those of coarse. Let the discussion continue!

Today, 12:40 PM #11
Dingareth

To summarize, models with True Grit will always have +1 attack over their base characteristic, unless it is Demon Hunters who have charged into a unit with Defensive Grenades, regardless of the source- be it charging or True Grit.

Today, 12:48 PM #12
Zombie Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingareth View Post
To summarize, models with True Grit will always have +1 attack over their base characteristic, unless it is Demon Hunters who have charged into a unit with Defensive Grenades, regardless of the source- be it charging or True Grit.

Dingareth has it spot on right here. A lot more eloquent than my post, to boot!

Today, 04:05 PM #13
QBall78

I'm not shure if you can use True Grit anyway, because in 5th edition it's not in the Universal Special Rules Section anymore. It's more some kind of a leftover, only appearing in the Deamonhunter and Spacewolfes codices and in the article about Deathwatch-squads.

Jearden
08-03-2009, 08:18 PM
I approve of the mocking performed by crazyredpraetorian on the behalf of all.

Until October and the new Codex, I am going to continue to use 'True Grit' as outlined in the Space Wolf Codex to my advantage... and sometimes my disadvantage.;)

Thanks for reposting all this, I was curious as to what happend to it.