PDA

View Full Version : large game vs CSM/Daemons. What Assassin should I take?

JMichael
08-26-2014, 12:15 PM
I have a 2500pt game vs a CSM (thousand sons) and Daemon army next week playing Tactical Escalation.

I want to add an assassin and am looking for some advice. I know he has Ahriman, a Lord of Change, and 3-4 Pink Horror units.
Deep Striking Pink Horrors worry me as they can mass soooo many shots in my rear line.
Here are my thoughts.

Vindicare:
Good for sniping Aspiring Champions and even Ahriman with Shield Breaker rounds (though still need a 4+ to wound). Also can take out Heralds. His shots are always Precision and a -2 to 'Look out Sir' rolls. Hang back in ruins for 3+ cover save and away from CC troops. Possibly manning the Icarus Lascannon to deal with any Heldrakes.
Plus he (and all assassins) get +1 VP if he kills the enemy Warlord.

Culexus:
24" diameter anit-psyker bubble where they don't generate Warp Charge points and need a '6' on the dice to get the Warp Charge. Enemies are also WS 1 when shooting/CC at the Culexus.
If I keep him in my deployment zone to counter the Pink Horrors, then they will have trouble manifesting their powers (need 6's) and have -3Ld. So I could assault them with my reg troops and they will have a Ld 4-8 for their Instability test!
Infiltrating him or moving him up to counter Ahriman and Greater Daemon seems a bit risky. Even though he needs 6's To Hit, mass fire can easily take down any assassin.

Anyway, what are your thoughts and suggestions?

Katharon
08-26-2014, 12:48 PM
http://vogueent.com/news/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/ky1Kf.gif

JMichael
08-26-2014, 02:28 PM
http://vogueent.com/news/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/ky1Kf.gif

Haha! Well since my list is already unbound anyway....Funny that I didn't think of that!
I'm not sure that I want to cut my main force down to let a second one in, but definitely worth a thought (and might be worth the look on his face)!

JMichael
08-27-2014, 09:33 AM
Im running SM with Eldar allies, and while a Vindicare in addition sounds great (and mean) I'm thinking about a Wave Serpent instead for rapid objective grabbing.

JMichael
08-27-2014, 11:38 AM
List ideas just keep changing for me. This is for a league where our lists are fixed, but can be 'upgraded' once. We basically can swap out a single unit for something else. I'm swapping out a SpiritSeer and Wraithgaurd in a Wave Serpent.

So here is what I'm currently winding down on.
Culexus Assassin
2x Vengeance Weapon Batteries (Punisher and Icarus)
Inquisitor (97pts) in Power Armor w/Null Rod (unit cannot be targeted by psychic powers...Have the Inq and my Warlord in a 10man Tac squad. This will prevent the Horrors form shooting at them and also provide additional protection from Ahriman, or Lord of Change) and 3 Servo Skulls to help effect his infiltration (unless they just outflank).

Another tempting option is to buy Coteaz for just 3 points more. He would allow re-rolls on Sieze the Init (for me or force my opponent to re-roll his) and his unit can shoot at any and every enemy unit that arrives from reserves (so outflank and deep strike) w/in 12" of his unit. He is also Matery Level 2 and has a Nemesis Daemonhammer (Str6 AP2) that if a Daemon or Psyker suffer a wound they have to pass a Ld test (maybe -3 due if Culexus is in range) or be removed!

I really like the Null Rod and how it would protect my psyker and Warlord from the Pink Horros and other Psychic powers, but Coteaz being ML2 and able to have the unit shoot at deep striking or outflanking units is also just a great disruption ability.