PDA

View Full Version : Homebrew Rules

Katharon
08-27-2014, 08:10 PM
So, I was talking with my WFB friend about the old days when I played Empire (4th & 5th edition) and how I use to run Dogs of War allied regiments. I missed those units so much. He mentioned that we could always create homebrew rules and units for them if I cared to take the effort. Considering that I plan to come back to WFB after such a long hiatus, I decided that I'd take the effort to do so.

So here they are, some special rules I created and a new weapon to be used for an as yet undetermined number of points. I'm thinking the same price as a halberdier or maybe the same price as a swordsman.

Weapon
------

Pike
A pike is a specially designed weapon twice as long as a normal spear. The intention is to kill the enemy while keeping them as far away as possible!

Name: Pike
Range: Combat
Strength: As User
Special Rules: Fight in Extra Ranks*, Requires Two Hands, Brace**, Always Strikes Last

*A unit armed with Pikes gains 2 additional fighting ranks, instead of the one additional attack normally associated with this rule.
**A unit armed with Pikes that elects to Brace! in combat inflicts D6 impact hits instead of the normal D3 for each rank up to a maximum of five ranks.

Special Rule
--------------

Brace!
Good ground can be put to use by the careful placement of spear butts.

If a unit is charged by an enemy unit and chooses to hold, it may elect to also perform a Brace! test. Before the charge move of the charging enemy unit is rolled, the defending unit must take a leadership test. If the test is passed, the bellowed orders of the unit's leader has reached the ears of the unit and the unit braces its spears in preparation for impact. For each rank, up to a maximum of four ranks, the unit that is Braced inflicts D3 impact hits against the charging enemy unit at the unmodified strength of the charging enemy unit. If a unit elected to Brace, then the subsequent first round of combat they may not gain the plus one supporting attack rank usually given by spears. If a unit is standing in or touching a body of water (pond, pool, river, etc) then it may not Brace (the ground is too wet and soggy).

----

What do you guys think?

Katharon
08-28-2014, 07:56 PM
I guess I am a genius and that my idea is perfect.

Chronowraith
08-28-2014, 08:04 PM
I think Brace is a bit sweeping. I'd say it should only be for infantry (your rule just says unit), and it should only be for units with Spears, Pikes, or Throwing Weapons (to reflect the unit throwing the weapons just prior to combat being joined). Additionally, a unit cannot brace against a charging units that cause impact hits.

Otherwise, I like the concepts behind your rules and I think Pikes are fine but that depends on how many points you charge for them.

Katharon
08-29-2014, 12:32 AM
I think Brace is a bit sweeping. I'd say it should only be for infantry (your rule just says unit), and it should only be for units with Spears, Pikes, or Throwing Weapons (to reflect the unit throwing the weapons just prior to combat being joined).

Well, like they say in the rulebook, unless it's expressly written that a unit has a special rule then they don't have access to all of them. Only what rules they are given. So by saying "unit" it allows for some flexibility in who is given the special rule. And I personally would only give Brace to infantry units with spears or pikes.

Additionally, a unit cannot brace against a charging units that cause impact hits.

But does that mean that if a charging unit that causes impact hits has their own impact hits canceled out? I'm going to say that both units get to use their Impact Hits. Just fair that way. There are already enough limitations that I've built into the special rule as it is.

[qiote]Otherwise, I like the concepts behind your rules and I think Pikes are fine but that depends on how many points you charge for them.[/quote]

I appreciate the input. Truly. You're the first person after 100 views to apparently to have *something* to say. :P

As for points, I was thinking either the same amount for a swordsman or 8 points for a pikeman.