PDA

View Full Version : Flesh Tearers vs. Space Wolves (1000 Points, Annihilation)

Droofus
01-27-2010, 11:08 AM
Inspired by all the news of the upcoming Blood Angel release, I brought my Flesh Tearers (second founding Blood Angel successor chapter) out of cold storage last Saturday. I went up against Space Wolves in a good ole' MEQ on MEQ combat.

I use VASSAL40k to illlustrate my battle reports, and as this is my first report here I'm still getting used to the image cap. So instead of posting only 4 images, I've taken links to my photobucket and put them at the bottom of each turn. The link will take you to the corresponding VASSAL screenshot that illustrates that turn. Hope you enjoy!

Flesh Tearer's List:
Caernarvon (Lemartes)
5 Death Company (3 free, 2 bought, jump packs)
Furioso Dreadnought
Assault Squad (sergeant with power fist, 4 other marines)
Assault Squad (sergeant with power fist, 4 other marines)
Tactical Squad
Rhino
2 Multi-melta attack bikes

Note: I was five points over. I guess that's what happens when you don't play an army for almost a year.

Space Wolf List:
Wolf Lord (Thunder Hammer, Stormshield, Runic Armor, Saga that lets him strike with extra attacks for killing people in the previous round)
Venerable Dreadnought (Multi-melta, heavy flamer)
Drop pod
9 Grey Hunters (1 meltagun)
Rhino
10 Grey Hunters (2 Meltaguns)
Rhino
10 Grey Hunters (2 Meltaguns)
Rhino

The black armored figure glared at the line of grey rhinos blocking their path through the wilderness ahead. Around him his warriors milled, the death company only soothed by his ministrations. A ruined and desecrated chapel lay to his left, a remnant of the ongoing inssurection of the renegade Sons of Annhilation on this world. But these rhinos did not contain chaos worshippers. On that fact, the chaplain was willing to bet his Rosarius. Tapping his commbead to a cross-formation imperial frequency, he spoke.

"This is High Chaplain Carnarvon of the Flesh Tearers chapter. You are blocking our path. Identify yourself and clear aside." Static was his only answer for a few seconds, then a response came over the line. The accent was strange, yet familiar.

"Aye. This is Wolf Lord Haldebar of the 4th Great Company. We will not 'clear aside', Flesh Tearer." Carnarvon blinked under his skull helm. The rage was awakening within him. He could hear the mutters on the inter-squad commlinks showing that it had amongst his brethren as well.

"And why would that be, Space Wolf? What gives you the right to stop us in our duty to the Emperor?"

"Duty to the Emperor had nothing to do with what you and your lads did to that village last night. We found the ruins this morning." came the reply. Carnarvon cursed, flipping the commlink to mute as he did so. Gathering himself, he reactivated his side of the link.

"What are you talking about? We saw no village."

"Oh, I think you did more than see it." came the snarled response from Haldebar, "The place looked like a slaughterhouse."

"Choose your next words carefully, Space Wolf..." warned Carnarvon, shaking with rage. The death company were beginning to to roar their battle cries, and other Flesh Tearers from the assault and tactical squad were beginning to join in.

"You and your men are murderers, no better than the renegades we hunt. It'll be my honor to slice your head off and go plant it on a stake in that sad town. Prepare yourself Flesh Tearer, for judgment is coming!"

As one, the Rhinos roared forward. As one, the Flesh Tearers leapt to meet them.

Mission: Annhilation
Deployment: Pitched Battle
First Turn: Space Wolves (Flesh Tearers fail to seize)

Deployment
Deployment
(http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a246/Ticklenakedman/vross0deploymentgif.gif)
Space Wolves Turn 1:

The venerable dreadnought landed on the outside of the ruined chapel, disembarking so that the pod gave him cover from the bulk of the Flesh Tearer force. He arcs a shot through cover at the Furioso, but only shakes him.

The rhinos all moved 12" forward and popped smoke.

Space Wolf 1 (http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a246/Ticklenakedman/vrossawolves1.gif)

Flesh Tearers Turn 1:

The multimelta bikes race forward and shoot the middle rhino. They both miss.

The rhino moves at combat speed and shoots at the Wolf Lord's rhino. They miss as well.

The assault squad on the right races forward and assaults the rightmost rhino. They... well... miss.

Flesh Tearer 1 (http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a246/Ticklenakedman/vrossbflesh1.gif)

Space Wolves 2:

All squads disembark. The Venerable Dreadnought waddles forward and hits the rhino but rolls snakes eyes on the penetration. What the hell is wrong with our meltas today?

Rightmost grey hunter squad shoots and assaults the assault squad. 1 assault marine is gunned down. In assault 2 more are cut apart by space wolf chainswords but 3 space wolves also fall, 2 to the fist. The Wolves pass their leadership.

The middle grey hunters shoot the attack bikes, vaporizing one with their meltas and wounding the other. The last attack bike, perhaps wisely, decides to fall back, stranding the grey hunters out of assault range.

The Wolf Lord and pals assault the dread. The krak grenades from the squad do nothing. In response, the dreadnought swings at the wolf lord, doing a wound that is saved by the storm shield. The wolf lord swings his hammer and penetrates the dreadnought but only manages to stun him (which would have happened anyway thanks the thunderhammer).
Space Wolves 2 (http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a246/Ticklenakedman/vrossawolves2.gif)

Flesh Tearers Turn 2:

The attack bike runs off the board thanks to the proximity of the Wolf Lord's squad. The tactical squad and the assault squad prepare to assault the wolf lord.

The death company dual charge the two grey hunter squads on the right. They absolutely thrash both units. In the end only the two melta-armed grey hunters from the squad that was full survives to flee away. The other unit is completely slain. The assault squad, grateful for the death company intervention, consolidates six and heads out to keep the grey hunters running. The death company, obviously tired from killing so many wolves, only consolidates 1, leaving them within range of the dread.

In the large central combat, the grey hunters are killed down to 3 and the lord by the charge of the two flesh tearer units. However, when the Wolf Lord strikes, he explodes the dreadnought, showering the flesh tearers with debris and killing one from each squad. Added to the casualties caused on the unit already, this is enough to win the combat for the space wolves by one. Both the assault squad and the tactical squad flee and get away. Disaster! The wolf lord and pals consolidate to keep them running.

Flesh Tearer 2 (http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a246/Ticklenakedman/vrossbflesh2.gif)

Space Wolves 3:

The wolf lord moves up to keep both squads running.

All three rhinos, the fleeing squad and the drop pod shoot at the 2-man assault squad. Only the regular guy dies, taking a melta to the face. The sergeant makes about five saves to keep on cranking.

The dreadnought moves over to assault the death company. He misses all his attacks. The death company strike back and immobilize him. The space wolf player asks that I reroll the result. I do and it comes up weapon destroyed instead. Even better!

Space Wolf 3 (http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a246/Ticklenakedman/vrossawolves3.gif)

Flesh Tearers 3:

The assault squad flees off the board. The tac squad flees right up to the board edge. I tank shock with my rhino into the wolf lord's squad. They decline a death or glory (the melta was not in the path) and pass their leadership

The lone assault sergeant runs over to one of the tormenting rhinos and tears off its storm bolter and immobilizes it. This makes a nice wall behind which he can shelter from meltafire while staying within 6" and sending the grey hunters off the board.

The fleeing tacs shoot and kill the last of the pursuing grey hunters, leaving only the wolf lord.

In combat, the dreadnought beats on the chaplain, doing a wound (but not instakilling thanks to the loss of his dread ccw). The death company rend the dreadnought and do a destroyed result that is turned into a shaken result by the reroll.

Flesh Tearer 3 (http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a246/Ticklenakedman/vrossbflesh3.gif)

Space Wolves 4:

Grey hunters flee ALMOST off the board. Gah.

Stormbolters from the two remaining rhinos target the assault sergeant. He lives, again. In the assault phase he wrecks the rhino he assaulted last turn.

The wolf lord assaults the Flesh Tearer rhino that just tank shocked but misses.

In combat, the death company rip off the other dread arm.

Space Wolf 4 (http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a246/Ticklenakedman/vrossawolves4.gif)

Flesh Tearers 4:
The tac squad flees off the board due to the proximity of the wolf lord.

The rhino speeds away to the center of the table.

The assault sergeant puts himself within 6" of the fleeing grey huntres. It was either that or go after a rhino, and I'll take my chances with storm bolters over melta any day of the week.

In combat the dreadnought beats the chaplain over the head for another wound.

Flesh Tearer 4 (http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a246/Ticklenakedman/vrossbflesh4.gif)

Space Wolves 5:
The Wolf Lord moves and runs, to get in charge range of the death company for next turn.

The rhinos finally gun down the assault sergeant with their storm bolters.

In combat, the death company and the dreadnought fail to hurt each other.

Space Wolf 5 (]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a246/Ticklenakedman/vrossawolves5.gif)

Flesh Tearers 5:
The rhino, desperate, tries to tank shock the wolf lord. He declines the death or glory and passes his leadership.

The death company the dreadnought continue to be ineffective against one another. Unfortunately, there is a large and angry wolf lord intent on ruining the party bearing down on them.

Flesh Tearer 5 (http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a246/Ticklenakedman/vrossbflesh5.gif)

We roll a die to see if the game continues and it comes up a 3. We go on!

Space Wolf 6:
The Wolf Lord assaults into combat. Before he can strike, the death company attack. One goes after him and rends him for a wound, while the rest of the squad make a breakthrough and FINALLY explode the dread. The dread dies horribly and kills a death company in the explosion. The wolf lord then strikes and murders the remaining 4 death company. The chaplain passes his no retreat saves.

Space Wolf 6 (http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a246/Ticklenakedman/vrossawolves6.gif)

Flesh Tearer 6:
My rhino moves uselessly around as the Wolf Lord and the Chaplain have their duel.

The Chaplain does two wounds (enough to kill the Space Wolf) but the storm shield saves both of them. In response the wolf lord does only a single wound to the chaplain. The chaplain's rosarius holds up.

Flesh Tearer 6 (http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a246/Ticklenakedman/vrossbflesh6.gif)

We roll a die and... 2. The game ends!

Final Kill Point Tally
Flesh Tearers: 5 (1 rhino, 3 grey hunter squads, venerable dreadnought)
Space Wolves: 6 (tac squad, 2 assault squads, death company, furioso, attack bikes)

Victory to the Space Wolves!

Chaplain Carnarvon spat blood through his cracked helmet. He knew that in addition to the head injury inflicted on him by the dreadnought, several of his ribs were broken as well. Around him, the grass was aflame from the death of the dreadnought.

He brought his crozius back up, just in time to deflect a blow from the Wolf Lord's thunder hammer into the ground. Debris flew up from the small crater caused by the impact, showering both warriors with dirt and blood. Though the blow had been deflected, the impact shattered something in Carnvarvon's arm. He dropped to one knee. For his part, Haldebar recoiled from his swing and dropping into a guard stance. He spoke.

"Just one thing before I put an end to you, Flesh Tearer: Why did you do it?"

Carnarvon's comm link chirped and he smiled.

"Because they were traitors, Wolf. We found the remains of an Imperial Guard patrol in one of the outbuildings. They had been ritually sacrificed. The entire town was made to pay for this transgression. Your compassion blinded you to their treachery, and now you have slain your brothers for nothing."

"Only moments ago you said you saw no village! You lie!" Roared Haldebar, raising his hammer for the final strike.

But before he could, a roar filled the air as a low flying red and black thunderhawk swooped down from the clouds. Storm bolter fire from the space wolf transports pinged off its hull as it made its approach and slowed. In a maneuver he had practiced hundreds of times in asault marine training, Carnarvon ignited his jump pack, soaring up twenty feet and grabbing hold of the hatch rails on the side of the air transport. The impact was enough that something finally gave way in his right arm and he heard an audible crack. Still he hung on grimly with his other arm.

Below him, the Wolf Lord roared oaths of retribution against the entire Flesh Tearer chapter.

Postgame:

Well that was fun! It was quite a change of pace from my orks. Wild swings of luck, as long as they are equal-opportunity can make a game extremely enjoyable. My initial failure was matched by my opponents inability to make an armor save. This in turn was negated by my complete failure at two critical leadership tests.

But it was a great game, and an example of how two fast, close combat armies running right at each other can turn into something more tactical after the initial crash of combat (which is fun too!). The cat and mouse game with my assault sergeant and the rhinos was particularly fun and though he died, he accounted for a rhino and made sure that the grey hunters ran off the board good job little guy!

The dread combat was just too good. My opponent got unlucky on the first round, failing to hit with any of his attacks and I got rather lucky ripping off his weapon. It was funny that I only managed to destroy the dread on the turn that the wolf lord ran in and beat the death company to a pulp.

The chaplain and the wolf lord fighting to a stand still was a fitting end to the game.