PDA

View Full Version : Parry, Magic Resistance, and Specific Spells.

Mr Mystery
09-06-2014, 11:30 AM
How do!

Very quick question....

A very few spells in Warhammer cause attacks or hits specifically described a close combat attacks. And if in the front, and you're armed with hand weapon a shield, you would therefore gain Parry.

MR of course adds itself to your Ward Save......

Do these two things stack? For instance.....

I cast a spell at a unit of Ironbreakers with MR2 from a Runelore in the unit, and this spell deals close combat attack damage. Is my Ward save therefore 5+ (Parry and Ironbreaker specific permanent +1 bonus to that), or 3+, as the MR2 boosts it further?

Wildeybeast
09-06-2014, 06:37 PM
Are there any spells that specifically cause cc damage? I've come across ones that make you take WS tests, it I can't recall any state that they are close combat attacks.

Either way, I'd say no. Parry specifically states that it "only works against attacks made in close combat". The spell damage isn't in cc, even if it may be simulating it. Unless the spell is somehow making two units fight a close combat, then you would get parry, but the blows would be coming from the unit, so no MR.

Reldane
09-06-2014, 06:50 PM
Bladewind used to be 3d6 ws4 str 4 close combat attacks, that is the only spell I know of that has ever done close combat attacks. the new one is much more standard so I would suspect that there arn't any spells that do make close combat attacks anymore.

Wildeybeast
09-07-2014, 03:13 AM
Yeah, it's just a WS test now. I would have thought most have been standardised to be direct damage now, just wondering if there are still any strange ones that escaped the cull or have yet to be updated.