PDA

View Full Version : "Just bought my copy of the End Times!" Is what I would have said.

el_tigre
09-09-2014, 06:13 PM
Just made the hour-long trek to GW Glasgow, where the staff have always been good to me and as near as I can tell to anyone else who comes in. I got paid last friday, a little short of my usual wage due to a week off ill, but I had a little (not enough, but f*ck it) to spare and I was super looking forward to grabbing my copy of the first in the End Times series, Fantasy being my jam and common consensus having this as the best thing to happen to it in quite some time.

I've never felt so sorry for a GW employee as I did when the guy had to first tell me that they were completely sold out, then ask if I wanted to pay to have a copy put aside, to appear "on Friday .... or almost definetly by Tuesday". Apologized and explained that due to my regular work schedule I couldn't be sure of even getting back to the store in the next fortnight, turned and left, more than a little pissed off but mollified by the forlorn look on the guys face.

It was only after I'd left that I began to feel really bad for the guy, realizing how often he must have had to do this. Biggest thing to happen to fantasy arguably in a decade, and he has to turn away paying customers a week in. I don't know for sure to what degree the performance of the instore staff is based on sales, but judging by the popular consensus of how the company is run I'll guess a lot. Got home, struggled with myself, decided just to order it from the website, this being the most excited I've been since the new Lizardmen army book was released and the most excited I'll be until a new Lizardmen army book is released, only to find that as a company they are completely sold out of the book.

This is the move they made to revitalize Fantasy, right? Well my next move was to get a torrent for the book. Not particularly proud, but you know what? Twice in the space of a few hours I tried to pay £50 for a book I knew I could get for free, one I'd been resisting the temptation to claim for free in respect for the rare bold move made by a company with has been slowly but surely losing my loyalty for a few years now, and appreciation that at this bad time for Fantasy they're still willing to take chances on their oldest system and the one I love.

It will genuinely be weeks before I can get an instore copy, and who knows if it'll be just as long an online wait. Will I buy it? Probably, preferring to do most of my reading with paper in my hand, but the cost is so steap and torrenting a copy so easy that putting me in the position where I have to dicide which is the lesser of two evils is just seems senseless, especially given how precarious a position fatasy as a whole is widely agreed to be in and how popular and well regarded a fix to this the End Times seems to be. You might think I'm despicable for torrenting in the first place and I won't argue with you on that point, but I can't be the only one who thinks the current situation is rediculous.

Houghten
09-10-2014, 01:59 AM
*facepalm* C'mon Deadlift, I know "**** you" isn't the most constructive conversation starter but "Ignore EG" isn't going to do anything to help that. Plus, y'know, systematic silencing.

Piracy is one of those crimes I have a bit of brain baggage to sort out. I was raised on it. Much of my childhood TV was recorded tapes of broadcasted shows. When the library first started renting CDs we got a burner and made copies, because a rent and a blank was still cheaper than buying retail copies. Then the Internet happened, with all of its glorious file sharing.

So, even though I have "stealing is wrong" hard-encoded into the SHAME ON YOU YOU DIRTY MAN parts of my brain, piracy somehow bypasses all of that. It can't be wrong, because Dad did it and now I'm doing it. (There are auxiliary factors, like I can't see any difference between watching a legitimate video for free on YouTube or downloading it for free on LimeWire.)

I'd never walk into my local GW with anything less than a legitimate copy of my army book (preferably purchased in that same store; how else is it going to stay open?) but when I'm just idly plotting armies, a PDF copy is a handy thing to have.

No, there isn't a tidy conclusion to this post.

Wolfshade
09-10-2014, 02:07 AM
This isn't a discussion about WFB it is about GW not producing enough to meet demand. Off to corporate withyou...

- - - Updated - - -

I am always relucant to agree with EG, but I do agree with her on this point.

If you were happy with a digital version you could have brought on from GW for the same monies.

If I were buying I don't know a car that had just been released and go to the dealership and find that it is sold out and that I would have to wait a few days/weeks for them to restock, I wouldn't then go home then go out of my way to look for said car and steal it from somewhere else.

I know that 1 pirate does not necessarily mean that there is 1 less sale. And I would dearly, dearly love to have a redeemable digital voucher when I buy a hardcopy, but I don't so if I want it mobily I need to fork over the cash to do it.

Mr Mystery
09-10-2014, 02:17 AM
Or you have a conversation with your local store.

GW Stores are able to have stock shifted between them. There's capacity on their internal systems for that very thing (used to work for them about 4 years ago, hence the knowledge). Glasgow might be out, but Stirling might have a copy.

But of course, you're a special snowflake, so feel free to just take stuff to assuage your sense of entitlement.

eldargal
09-10-2014, 02:49 AM
I don't blame you tbh, GW I don't think anticipated the demand for this release. As they themselves admit don't do any marketing.

Your going to buy a copy when you can so grabbing a torrent copy now IMO isn't so bad. It's not like you didn't try.

Ignore EG, she has the moral high ground on everything.
Yes, not stealing luxury goods I can afford by my own admission because I can't get them RIGHT NOW would give me a moral high ground actually. On account of not being an over-entitled ****ing thief. I had to wait days to get my copy because of Reasons and I didn't go download a torrent.

Houghton, yes there are degrees of piracy. I'm not going to condemn someone for downloading a show that isn't on television there, or its broadcast free in the country it is produced in anyway or is blocked by a subscription model that they can't afford or various other reasons why certain things get pirated. But in this case he stole it because he couldn't wait a couple of days or just ****ing go online and have it shipped.

Also it wasn't a conversation starter, it was me expressing my disgust with his illegal behaviour.

Wolfshade
09-10-2014, 03:33 AM
For context, Dark Sphere do a 3 day turn around so not only is cheaper but you can get it delivered to your door.

Wolfshade
09-10-2014, 03:47 AM
From a different thread:

But yeah, despite all that, its GWs fault, they're to blame for everything.

The_Gonk
09-10-2014, 04:17 PM
http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/faq.php?faq=termsmaster#faq_termsuse

There's no issue of systematic silencing here. Opening up a conversation with "**** you" means you're probably an individual best ignored, especially when this is a pattern of behaviour!

Just made the hour-long trek to GW Glasgow, where the staff have always been good to me and as near as I can tell to anyone else who comes in. I got paid last friday, a little short of my usual wage due to a week off ill, but I had a little (not enough, but f*ck it) to spare and I was super looking forward to grabbing my copy of the first in the End Times series, Fantasy being my jam and common consensus having this as the best thing to happen to it in quite some time.

I've never felt so sorry for a GW employee as I did when the guy had to first tell me that they were completely sold out, then ask if I wanted to pay to have a copy put aside, to appear "on Friday .... or almost definetly by Tuesday". Apologized and explained that due to my regular work schedule I couldn't be sure of even getting back to the store in the next fortnight, turned and left, more than a little pissed off but mollified by the forlorn look on the guys face.

It was only after I'd left that I began to feel really bad for the guy, realizing how often he must have had to do this. Biggest thing to happen to fantasy arguably in a decade, and he has to turn away paying customers a week in. I don't know for sure to what degree the performance of the instore staff is based on sales, but judging by the popular consensus of how the company is run I'll guess a lot. Got home, struggled with myself, decided just to order it from the website, this being the most excited I've been since the new Lizardmen army book was released and the most excited I'll be until a new Lizardmen army book is released, only to find that as a company they are completely sold out of the book.

This is the move they made to revitalize Fantasy, right? Well my next move was to get a torrent for the book. Not particularly proud, but you know what? Twice in the space of a few hours I tried to pay £50 for a book I knew I could get for free, one I'd been resisting the temptation to claim for free in respect for the rare bold move made by a company with has been slowly but surely losing my loyalty for a few years now, and appreciation that at this bad time for Fantasy they're still willing to take chances on their oldest system and the one I love.

It will genuinely be weeks before I can get an instore copy, and who knows if it'll be just as long an online wait. Will I buy it? Probably, preferring to do most of my reading with paper in my hand, but the cost is so steap and torrenting a copy so easy that putting me in the position where I have to dicide which is the lesser of two evils is just seems senseless, especially given how precarious a position fatasy as a whole is widely agreed to be in and how popular and well regarded a fix to this the End Times seems to be. You might think I'm despicable for torrenting in the first place and I won't argue with you on that point, but I can't be the only one who thinks the current situation is rediculous.

The book is excellent and it seems GW have been surprised by the demand and buzz around it. It's certainly worth picking up and would mean you could play in store etc.

For context, Dark Sphere do a 3 day turn around so not only is cheaper but you can get it delivered to your door.

Unfortunately, Dark Sphere aren't currently advertising the book for sale, though they do have the new miniatures up.

Wolfshade
09-10-2014, 04:30 PM
Unfortunately, Dark Sphere aren't currently advertising the book for sale, though they do have the new miniatures up.

The point is that 3rd parties will deliver it to your house.

The_Gonk
09-10-2014, 04:36 PM
The point is that 3rd parties will deliver it to your house.

Ah, I misunderstood, sorry.

I was just looking on the GW site and Tomb Guard are out of stock! Wow!

Wolfshade
09-10-2014, 04:46 PM
No, that is fine, I was not as clear as I might have been.

One needs to consider why there is a shortage

is it:
a) deliberate by GW to create "hype" and "buzz" around a product, (this also feeds exclusivity and may increase future sales as they might sell out quickly)
or,
b) a genuine miscalculation by GW

Given that the second resorts in a drop or delayed sales, whereas the first promotes it be that it was planned all along. Which kinda sucks for us as a consumer, but you know these things happen.

eldargal
09-11-2014, 12:38 AM
There's no issue of systematic silencing here. Opening up a conversation with "**** you" means you're probably an individual best ignored, especially when this is a pattern of behaviour!

No, there is no silencing here. But personally I think people who leap to defend someone who stole something they admitted they could afford and were willing to pay for are best ignored, but I guess I'm old fashioned.

Edit: Also there are plenty of legitimate reasons why people pirate. Restricted access to drive up prices, unavailability in their country, unnecessary waiting times between broadcast in one country to another, hidden behind pay walls despite sometimes being broadcast freely in the country of origin etc. Little ****s who just pirate something they have access to and can afford simply because they want it now just feed the impression that all piracy is about obnoxious, entitled little ****s stealing stuff they don't want to pay for. So I am not going to be polite to people like that and I'm not going to accept criticism for people who defend people like that.

The_Gonk
09-14-2014, 12:31 PM
No, there is no silencing here. But personally I think people who leap to defend someone who stole something they admitted they could afford and were willing to pay for are best ignored, but I guess I'm old fashioned..... So I am not going to be polite to people like that and I'm not going to accept criticism for people who defend people like that.

I didn't defend the OP's actions or piracy, I actually encouraged the OP to buy the product. I criticised your offensive and aggressive posting.

The Girl
09-14-2014, 12:59 PM
Keep the thread clean of insults and profanity laden outbursts. I will place bans on accounts that ignore my request.

Thank you.

Deadlift
09-14-2014, 03:07 PM
No, there is no silencing here. But personally I think people who leap to defend someone who stole something they admitted they could afford and were willing to pay for are best ignored, but I guess I'm old fashioned.

Possible directed at me lol ?
I just don't think it's a big deal, the OP has already said he will buy the book when it's available. Piracy when it's a source of funding for organised crime I disagree with, but downloading a copy of a "geek book" which he intends to buy later ?

I've read online copies of FW books before I've bought them. I will be damned if I'm spending £50-£70 on a book without being absolutely certain it's what I'm after.

GW / FW make some fantastic products, but they do sometimes drop the ball when it comes to supply and demand.

The_Gonk
09-16-2014, 10:27 AM
Possible directed at me lol ?
I just don't think it's a big deal, the OP has already said he will buy the book when it's available. Piracy when it's a source of funding for organised crime I disagree with, but downloading a copy of a "geek book" which he intends to buy later ?

I've read online copies of FW books before I've bought them. I will be damned if I'm spending £50-£70 on a book without being absolutely certain it's what I'm after.

GW / FW make some fantastic products, but they do sometimes drop the ball when it comes to supply and demand.

Perhaps, I assumed it was me because I was the one quoted.

If they under-produced I completely get the issue, it's difficult to predict supply and demand. The magic cards being a limited run makes no sense to me at all though.