PDA

View Full Version : Movie Marines Chapter Master

Master Bryss
01-29-2010, 10:16 AM
I'm taking a mini-break from my Dark Eldar Codex due to upcoming exams, so I wanted to do something quick and sweet. Inspired by Mkerr's Movie Marine update, here's my vision of a Chapter Master:

The movie army is often commanded by a powerful figure who hardly ever shows up on a battlefield. However, during a final battle he may lead from the front, often showing off immense combat prowess, howver he never seems to beat the grizzled protagonist to inflicting the coup de grace.

0-1 SPACE MARINE CHAPTER MASTER-500 points.

WS--BS--S--T--W--I--A--Ld--Sv
10--9--6--6--5--8--6--10--2+

Wargear: Legion Relic, Iron Halo, Bolter, Bolt Pistol, Frag Grenades, Krak Grenades, Auto-Senses, Power Armour
Iron Halo- Grants the ability to re-roll the Invulnerable Save given by Power Armour
Legion Relic- Chapter Masters carry ages-old superweapons from before the dawn of time. A Legion Relic makes the Chapter Master attack at S10, and ignores Armour AND Invulnerable Saves.

Options: The Chapter Master may exchange his bolter for a Combi-Weapon at +80 points for a Combi-Flamer, +90 points for a Combi-Melta and +120 points for a Combi-Plasma. A Combi-Weapon may fire twice in the Shooting Phase, once as a Bolter and once as whatever weapon is bolted on to it. You may select different targets.

Rules: Force of One, Fleet, Move Through Cover, God of War, Eternal Warrior, Supreme Leader, Fire On These Co-Ordinates!
God of War: The Chapter Master and any squads with line of sight to him may choose to pass or fail Leadership Checks.

Supreme Leader: An army containing a Chapter Master need not include a Sergeant (he's handed in his badge and the Master is in charge now.)

Fire On These Co-Ordinates!: Once per game a Chapter Master may initiate an immense orbital barrage. Place a Large Blast template over up to 5 enemy units and roll for Scatter, with no modifier from the Master's BS. The Blast is S10, AP1, Lance.

Atrotos
01-29-2010, 07:26 PM
Interesting. Rules such as these are fun to write but you can't expect to ever use them because while people may want to play as 'movie marines' I can't imagine many players would like to face them. I suppose this is what prompted EldarWolf to post on the topic.

Beyond that these rules also pose an interesting balancing issue that stems from so many points being tied up in one model. You could never play a regular 40k game with a 500 infantry model included because at some point all his extra abilities become useless. He can only shoot at one thing, can only assault one thing and has to do so whilst moving 6" a turn + fleet (if hes not shooting). Remember that each additional ability and advantage you add to a unit must be costed proportionately less because of the physical limitations a single model faces. The inclusion of the 'Fire On These Co-Ordinates' shows me you already understand this issue and I think you've handled well.

Madness
01-29-2010, 09:41 PM
No Eternal Warrior?

Master Bryss
01-30-2010, 03:40 AM
@Madness: Of all the obvious things I could forget...

@Atrotos: The entire Movie Marine idea wasn't really designed for normal games anyway. I'd use the rules more for campaigns and mini-narratives, which I'm particularly fond of. But thanks for the advice, it's really helpful.