PDA

View Full Version : Help, blood slaughterers everywhere! [2000pts]

Illiterate Scrub
01-29-2010, 11:18 AM
So, I have one love in life. Close combat walkers. I love locking squads into combat against AV13 that they can't win. Modelling 'em is fun too. Dreamt up a rather nice drop-podding dread list for SM, then was horrified to hear that Blood Angels are getting their own new super dread list with walkers in every slot bar troops. I don't really want to play them, simply because everyone will be playing with them in a couple of months, plus I find dreadnought models fairly static. So, browsing through the various options, I've hit on one - daemons, to be specific, Forge World's daemon engine range. Blight Drones look like they could be pretty fun, but blood slaughterers really caught my eye - WS5 front armour 13 fast walkers with 5A on the charge? Mmmm ... they also have the advantage that I'm freer to sculpt 'em.

So - a list.

HQ

Herald of Tzeentch - bolt, we are legion, master of sorcery - 95pts

Troops

5 Horrors of Tzeentch - bolt - 95pts
5 Horrors of Tzeentch - bolt, changeling - 100pts
5 Nurgling bases - 65pts

Heavy Support

3 Blood Slaughterers - 390pts

Drop order:

Wave 1 - 2x slaughterer squads, changeling horrors with 2 heralds, nurglings.
Wave 2 - 1x slaughterer squad, 3 horrors with 2 heralds.

Slaughterer squads drop in 12-18" away (their fleet should help to ensure a charge), while the heralds and horrors hold back, and begin to pick off vehicles. Hopefully, they shouldn't be very appetising targets - a small unit, with invulnerable saves, and the changeling adding another layer of defence - especially as the equivalent of 6 super soulgrinders are poised to charge (front AV 13, a 13-18" charge, and daemonic possession should make them quite hard to drop). When they do charge, I'll use their large footprint to try to get them into multiple assaults, the better to spread the love. Nurgling wander about, screen charges, tie up stuff, and generally be a 65pt nuisance.

Second wave is more of the same, just with more objective-holding capability and anti-tank, and less muscle. No matter - it wouldn't be a disaster if second wave dropped first instead.

So, thoughts? I realise that the slaughterers are a huge points sink, and that the list is rather thin on the ground (41 models total), but the idea of so many large, dangerous, fast walkers in the enemy deployment zone is one that makes me happy. Pretty intimidating, too.

The list's not totally helpless against mech, either - although nothing has more than a 24" range, it's got a fair bit of anti-tank ranged capability, and Emperor save any vehicles that get 9+3d3 S10 attacks on them.

SlavesToDarkness
01-29-2010, 01:07 PM
Nurglings are for chumps.

Horrors are okay, but Plague-bearers are where it's at.

To make the list stronger, I would rope in more plague-bearers instead of horrors. I would drop all the heralds in exchange for 2 greater daemons (1 which should certainly be a Great Unclean One with cloud of flies).

But, if I were you, I would drop one unit of Blood Slaughterers for a Plague Hulk (ever seen one of those?!) and bring in a Bloodthirster, Great Unclean One and tons of Plague Bearers. Anti-tank at range is not that important if you deep strike aggressively.

Also, I am super-biased because I play a straight Nurgle Daemon army.