PDA

View Full Version : Future Campaign Structures?

Bigred
07-24-2009, 11:29 AM
So the question is what do you guys want to see in our future campaign books?

So far we hae done:

Horus Heresy: A straight linear set of "historical games" to play. Each game is a seperate setpiece game.
Macharian Crusade: Seperate linked setpiece "historical games" with competition between allied factions.
Badab War: A set of branching-tree campaign missions to allow both sides to alter the set history and change the outcome of the war.

What do you guys like most, and what would you like to see moving forward?

Also take into account the upcoming Planetary Empires set which will give the community a consistant set of tiles for campaign rulesets.

Darkwynn
07-24-2009, 12:12 PM
I hate to say it and I know we have talked about it but lets do some type of Xenos campiagn.

Eldar hunting down artifacts or some type of nid hive fleet invasion.

Madigan
07-24-2009, 12:58 PM
I don't think I can comment fully until the Badab book is released to the public (I've only seen the preview page thus far), but I did really like the way that the Macharian Crusade was done.

It's a shame though, that the major component army of the Crusade, the Imperial Guard, got a codex update right after the release of the campaign book. Now all of the army special rules and characters are all wonky due to the codex restructuring. Maybe an edited version of the campiagn book that takes into account the new Guard codex could be in order?

mkerr
07-24-2009, 01:56 PM
I'm thinking about putting together a small Defense of Macragge sheet with rules for Captain Invictus and the Ultramarines 1st Company.

I'd love to come up with special rules for Ultramar's PDF (and Legio Praetor) and everyone loves Hive Fleet Behemoth, right?

We also have Marneus Calgar and Inquisitor Kryptman in space!

-- mkerr

CrusherJoe
07-27-2009, 02:51 AM
That would put a very big smile on my face, that's for certain. :)

RealGenius
07-27-2009, 06:58 AM
I'd love to come up with special rules for Ultramar's PDF (and Legio Praetor) and everyone loves Hive Fleet Behemoth, right?

So instead of a Xenos campaign, it is just going to be another Guard/Marine book? :)

Once Planetary Empires comes out I'd like to see a map-based campaign book; I've played in a few map campaigns and they are pretty fun.

mkerr
07-27-2009, 08:40 AM
So instead of a Xenos campaign, it is just going to be another Guard/Marine book? :)

I don't have the energy to do a campaign book, it would be something much more akin to the Ordo Hereticus Strike Force or the Army of Death. Some background, a different way to play a handful of existing armies, a few special characters and some missions (maybe a Datasheet or three, if Bigred is nice).

But the Defense of Macragge would be an AWESOME Planetstrike minidex....

--mkerr

CrusherJoe
07-27-2009, 08:43 AM
What's interesting is in that "Thinking About Narrative Apocalypse Games" thread on AMM there was some discussion about the seige on the polar fortress at Macragge. I thought it would make a great Planetstrike mission/campaign.

RealGenius
07-27-2009, 08:50 AM
Sounds more like a Scenario, that a minidex. Maybe a pamphle-dex? :)

Maybe a whole book of 5 or 6 Planetstrike scenarios?

Faultie
07-31-2009, 12:26 PM
Maybe involve more faction-specific objectives in some of the battles? By that I mean you could have different objectives for different forces within a single battle, even those forces on the same side. Thus, the Eldar might try to secure a Gate, and thus ally with Imperial Guard, who are pushing through rebel forces to relieve the Arbites Precinct adjacent to the rogue governor's fortress. Meanwhile, CSM and traitor PDF are opposing them, and the DE take the opportunity to claim more souls.

More precisely: bonus objectives and goals depending on the faction(s) playing. Maybe this could influence the next battle of the campaign as well?

atreides
07-31-2009, 12:26 PM
...or, more to the point, something where Xenos races are the highlighted protagonists and the Imperium is either the bad guy or in the middle. How interesting would that be to have, for instance, an Eldar campaign against Chaos on or near an Imperial World? Or a Tau Warband having to fight and survive their way through a system in the middle of a war between Orks and Guard?

I think there would be a good response from Xenos players excited about being the focus of a campaign and there will rarely be a shortage of Imperial opponents...

Randroid
07-31-2009, 01:49 PM
Will you ever be doing anything Fantasy related this way?

mkerr
07-31-2009, 02:20 PM
Right now I like the idea of exploring a single event, instead of trying to find a way to cram every race into a single Armageddon-style event.

So taking the Battle of Macragge example, it might end up something like this:

1. Fluff: Background on the battle and the historical significance of the aftermath.

2. Armies: A description of the combatants. In this case it might be the Ultramarines 1st Company and the Ultramar PDF on the Imperial side and Hive Fleet Behemoth on the Tyranid side. Including any army special rules.

3. Special Characters: Captain Invictus, maybe a PDF commander and a hive beast of some sort from Behemoth. Maybe a minor character or two (I love upgrade characters).

4. Missions: A few suggestions on playing the mini-campaign (perhaps just a series of four or five linked missions). A major Planetstrike mission, a couple of smaller "Assassinate the Hive Node" support missions, an Apocalypse datasheet or three and a major Apocalypse mission.

5. More Ways to Play (suggestions on incorporating AI and BFG missions) and Modeling Tips.

That's what I'm thinking anyway -- your mileage, as always, may vary.

-- Mkerr

atreides
07-31-2009, 02:37 PM
Right now I like the idea of exploring a single event, instead of trying to find a way to cram every race into a single Armageddon-style event.

There's a bit of fluff in the Marine Codex about Ultramarines defending the Tomb of Orar (I think) from Eldar seeking the Scepter of Galaxian (I think). How about that one? It's not famous, but it could be interesting and easily adapted for any race as attacker...

McNs
07-31-2009, 04:41 PM
I'd love to see y'all do The War in Heaven - it'd be really interesting to see your take on the Necrons (and all the C'tan that got NOMNOMNOM'ed by the Nightbringer) and I'm sure all the Eldar players would lurrve it if some of their aspect warriors were troops.

I've loved the consideration you've given all the other campaigns; I think that'd be a great non-marine, non-guard book to try; heck, all you could have would be Eldar, Necrons, Old Ones (if you want to go really crazy), Enslavers, and some rudimentary Orks.

Could be really neat.. and stuff!

- McNs

atreides
07-31-2009, 05:48 PM
I've loved the consideration you've given all the other campaigns; I think that'd be a great non-marine, non-guard book to try; heck, all you could have would be Eldar, Necrons, Old Ones (if you want to go really crazy), Enslavers, and some rudimentary Orks.

But you have to have some options for Imperial players. I mean, there are so many of them that a completely non-human campaign would exclude easily 65% or more of people who play. That's why I suggest them as the bad guys. If the Imperium is the bad guy, you'll never have a shortage of opponents!

ThePov
07-31-2009, 09:48 PM
I know it's kind of lame, what with all this high and mighty talk of Xenos, but I'd be up for something that highlighted the AdMec in some way. Maybe one of those tech-crusade/artifact finding missions they talk about? You could then get in at least one Xenos race, either Eldar, Necrons or maybe Tau, most likely, as well as Titans and some stadard Imps. Only problem is, I don't know if there are any huge archealogical crusades actually on the the books in offical fluff...

Emperorsmercy
08-03-2009, 02:18 AM
The defense of maccrage is a good idea but I liker the badab War syystem where you can can change the outcome. could that be done?

darth_papi76
08-03-2009, 03:09 PM
How about a campaign where a some Imperials (or Chaos) try to invade a Craftworld?

JuiceSpringsteen!
08-04-2009, 02:08 AM
What about a campaign detailing the Inquisition? They didn't exist during the horus heresy, and weren't really mentioned much in the macharian book so it wouldn't be a rehash of the previous books. It could include rules for small sorties and raids akin to the old Kill Team rules but these encounters would grow into regular size fights and then the campaign would climax with a titanic battle with both sides having gained small advatages for sucsessfully completing certain earlier missions(I.E. "in mission four, the inquisition reclaimed the horde of archaeotech from the cultists so they can replace d6 weapons from on their vehicles with a 'LasBlaster'S10 AP2 Heavy 2") The smaller games could really capture the feel of objective based scenarios like 'assaninate the witch, or plant the bomb in the inquisitiors base'. Just a thought.

Herald of Nurgle
08-04-2009, 02:44 AM
Black Crusade: The Rise of Abaddon.

Nuff Said.

darth_papi76
08-04-2009, 11:10 AM
An idea might be to do the invasion of the Exodite world of Haran. The 2nd edition Eldar Codex tells the story of how Eldrad Ulthran predicted the invasion of an Eldar planet. The Chaos Space Marines daemons opened up a rift in space, but the Eldar were waiting for them. The story goes on to describe how Phoenix Lords and Eldar from all over show up to fight. At the end Fugan shows up and the Eldar force Chaos back. There aren't many specific details in the story, but it does seem like it was epic.

Cryl
08-05-2009, 09:19 AM
I'm thinking about putting together a small Defense of Macragge sheet with rules for Captain Invictus and the Ultramarines 1st Company.

We also have Marneus Calgar and Inquisitor Kryptman in space!

-- mkerr

I'd love to see missions and special rules written out for the whole thing as that siege of Macragge was the inspiration for my collection which is all based on the Ultras in some way. From the UM 3rd Company who were sent in to try to rescue the 1st on Macragge but arrived too late to save anyone suffering horrendous casualities on route to the 1st company terminators and the early stages of a guard army painted up as an Ultramar PDF - so far it's just tanks but the cadians are there ready to be built and painted.

This to me is the most exciting thing you've suggested doing, please, please, please go with this!

mkerr
08-07-2009, 12:26 PM
The defense of maccrage is a good idea but I liker the badab War syystem where you can can change the outcome. could that be done?

I don't think the next book will have a huge campaign structure. Just a handful of missions and a suggested, branching path of how to play through the campaign. It's something you can do in a weekend (only requiring a handful of special models/units), instead of something that takes 12-weeks to play.

What about a campaign detailing the Inquisition?

I don't think there's a bigger fan of the Inquisition than me, so you definitely have an ally at BOLS.

I'd love to see missions and special rules written out for the whole thing as that siege of Macragge was the inspiration for my collection which is all based on the Ultras in some way. From the UM 3rd Company who were sent in to try to rescue the 1st on Macragge but arrived too late to save anyone suffering horrendous casualities on route to the 1st company terminators and the early stages of a guard army painted up as an Ultramar PDF - so far it's just tanks but the cadians are there ready to be built and painted.

This to me is the most exciting thing you've suggested doing, please, please, please go with this!

Awesome! I did the same thing with my Ultramarines and Tyranid army. It's Captain Invictus taunting me from the shelf (with his gorgeous Plasma Blaster -- and his Terminator Command Squad) that's making me want to write special rules for him.

I'd also like to see Hivefleet Behemoth get some love too.

-- MKerr

Ferro
08-07-2009, 03:50 PM
Hive Fleet Behemoth, supported by an unknown splinter fleet in desert brown colors... hmmm. Darn snow missions! Curses! :):)

FWIW, you have a willing nid fleet holding in orbit.

ChaosLord127
08-07-2009, 11:48 PM
Damocles Gulf Crusade! Let's see a Tau/Imperium war! pretty please :)

1.This will not only please the Xenos players, but then the "good guys" could be argued either way. Tau were attacked after allowing disgruntled imperials to peacefully join their empire, while the Imperium is being robbed of its worlds by xenos trickery.
2. In addittion, the tau codex states that it was a meat grinder that no one got really anywhere on, so all the missions could balance themselves out, as far as a campaign goes, and if one side is particularily effective, they could change history.
3. Also, the current campaigns are imperium history based, why not try another race's history?
4. The Damocles Gulf Crusade was ended early due to Behemoth's arrival, so it would also be a great lead-in to the Macragge campaign if you decide to do one afterwards...
5. It is a specific idea to build on
6. It only includes 2 races.... or 3 armies ( Space Marines, Imperial Guard, Tau) so it will be easier to do for 40k
7. Once again, only 2 races, so 3 space fleets for BFG (tau, Imperial navy, space marines)
8. Planetary Empires could be optionally used to portray Dal'yth (the primary stalemate world)
9. BoLS-made tau commanders!
10. Damocles has never really been touched upon.

Those are all the reasons I can come up with now.

Lord General Xi Lutor
08-09-2009, 06:30 PM
Something that heavily involves the Adeptus Mechanicus. And a sweet ruleset for them to boot.

Inquisitor Hate Machine
08-09-2009, 09:18 PM

1.This will not only please the Xenos players, but then the "good guys" could be argued either way. Tau were attacked after allowing disgruntled imperials to peacefully join their empire, while the Imperium is being robbed of its worlds by xenos trickery.
2. In addittion, the tau codex states that it was a meat grinder that no one got really anywhere on, so all the missions could balance themselves out, as far as a campaign goes, and if one side is particularily effective, they could change history.
3. Also, the current campaigns are imperium history based, why not try another race's history?
4. The Damocles Gulf Crusade was ended early due to Behemoth's arrival, so it would also be a great lead-in to the Macragge campaign if you decide to do one afterwards...
6. It only includes 2 races.... or 3 armies ( Space Marines, Imperial Guard, Tau) so it will be easier to do for 40k
7. Once again, only 2 races, so 3 space fleets for BFG (tau, Imperial navy, space marines)
8. Planetary Empires could be optionally used to portray Dal'yth (the primary stalemate world)
9. BoLS made tau commanders!

I support this venture. Anything to let me read the Damocles Gulf edition of the Uplifting primer out loud is A-OK in my book!

"Tau are herd creatures that panic easily. Their usual response to stressful situations is to either wail and lie face down on the ground with their hands over their heads, or to run around in circles hoping to confuse their aggressor."

Vulkan He'stan
08-10-2009, 11:17 PM
something armageddon good ol marines v orks lol

Savark
08-22-2009, 03:16 AM

damn, you beat me to it, specifically hades hive or the 2nd war, the 1st 3rd war get too much rap while the second is more just "It was there, it happned"

Katie Drake
08-22-2009, 04:56 PM

Yeah, I'd love to see a 3rd War for Armageddon supplement, done similarly to the old Codex: Armageddon. Basically update that old Campaign Book. Most of the fluff could be pretty much re-used with additional details taken from later books like Codex: Orks, Guard and Black Templars.

As far as rules go, there could be some specific scenarios depicting the defense of Hive Helsreach for the Black Templars, one of the Salamanders' many raids on Ork Roks, the battles between the White Scars and Speed Freeks in the north, etc, etc.

Additionally, some new characters could be added to both sides. Marines could get some new characters - say an upgrade character of some kind for Black Templar Sword Brethren, as well as characters that help represent other Chapters that don't have a specific ruleset that participated in the War like the Flesh Tearers, Relictors, White Scars, Salamanders, Exorcists and more. Naturally the Armageddon Steel Legion could get some attention, like a character that would encourage the use of Guardsmen with Chimera transports somehow. Maybe this character could have the ability to issue an order that grants Preferred Enemy: Orks to friendly units? The Orks themselves could receive some entertaining stuff, like rules for their submersible craft, large-scale raiding forces led by Snikrott and whatever else people can come up with.

Savark
08-23-2009, 04:02 AM
like rules for their submersible craft, large-scale raiding forces led by Snikrott and whatever else people can come up with.

There are already rules for that:
http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m1180080_Ork_Datasheet_-_Submersible.pdf
I've already made mine XD

Katie Drake
08-25-2009, 08:03 PM
There are already rules for that:
http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m1180080_Ork_Datasheet_-_Submersible.pdf
I've already made mine XD

Ah, thanks for that. I actually already had that datasheet on my PDF folder, but had forgotten all about it. :confused:

There's still all the other stuff I posted, though. ;)

cco
08-27-2009, 09:32 AM
On the topic of campaign structures go with the tree campaign style. It improves replayability. I also agree that the Damocles gulf is the way to go for the next campaign.

Rangerrob
08-27-2009, 09:38 AM
Xenos of some sort. I would lean toward an Eldar based one, cause the rumors of the Nid book due out next year.

Hold off on the Nid campaign until after the new codex comes out. Although...Didn't a Hive fleet hit a craftworld... ;) That would be epic.

Katie Drake
08-27-2009, 02:57 PM
Xenos of some sort. I would lean toward an Eldar based one, cause the rumors of the Nid book due out next year.

Hold off on the Nid campaign until after the new codex comes out. Although...Didn't a Hive fleet hit a craftworld... ;) That would be epic.

Yeah, Hive Fleet Kraken fighting the Eldar of Craftworld Iyanden would be a badass campaign. :D At last we'd see some Eldar players run Prince Yriel. :p

cco
08-27-2009, 04:31 PM
Yeah, Hive Fleet Kraken fighting the Eldar of Craftworld Iyanden would be a badass campaign. :D At last we'd see some Eldar players run Prince Yriel. :p

Tell that to the Yriel-Wraithguard combo who took out my great unclean one AND Demonprince of Khorne.

the drake
09-01-2009, 03:25 PM
I really liked the macragge idea, but i think i like the idea of the damocles gulf with a macragge minidex shortly after the new nidz dex comes out. so basically what chaoslord127 said.

Superpedro
09-01-2009, 04:40 PM
Isn't there fluff in the Tau book about some big fight against 'nids? I think it would be great to see a campaign that doesn't feature imperials, not saying they can't play in the campaign, just that it would feature Tau and 'nids

Excalibur
09-02-2009, 08:27 AM
I really like the macragge minidex but I also think it may be best to wait until after the new nid codex comes out
how about some sort of eldar vs. necron campaign, they are supposed to hate each other right? and then the crons could get some sort of semi-update rules to tide them over until GW actually gives them a new codex

Marshal Wilhelm
11-01-2009, 04:16 AM
How about a campaign where a some Imperials (or Chaos) try to invade a Craftworld?

The Invaders Chapter versus Craftworld Idharae.

9. BoLS-made tau commanders!
10. Damocles has never really been touched upon.

This would be amazing. You could give the Tau useful human turncoats and goodies they need to give them extra competitiveness.

I like this.

I thought to mention these but I have been pipped at the post. I guess you can comb through the books and fluff to come up with Campaigns.

SW v TS. ala Prospero Burns.
SW & DA versus baddies ala just before the had the Primarchs had their brawl.
Iron Warriors v Imperial Fists in a series of sieges.
Word Bearers v Ultramarines. ala during Heresy.
How about something like "Siege Craft Codex" like Planetstrike or Cities of Death?

Biel tan versus "Xenos" (Imperials/Tau/Orks). They have points advantage. The Xenos have to hole out for x amount of time. After these pre-games then a pitched/Apocalypse battle happens after the defenders main army has been mustered. Each pre-game result determines the points value the defenders brings.
I think this is somewhat like Gavin Thorpes Fantasy Raiders series?

Codex Deathwatch to catch/tag/release/chloroform Tyranids for whatever purpose - but not Kill Team, like a regular battle.

Stuff like that. :D

Marshal Wilhelm
11-02-2009, 11:22 PM
*Gasp* How about using the "Return to Grim-Duraz" BatRep in WD 359 to represent Leman Russ & Lion El'Johnson dashing up to slay the enemy commander - who may not leave his deployment zone.

Victory points are awarded as per usual or use Kill Points. Bonus points for killing the EC but also for how you kill him, artillery no points, shooting is lame, cc is good and your HQ killing him is awesome.

Huh, huh, huh?