PDA

View Full Version : Movie Marines; opponents?

EldarWolf
01-29-2010, 05:06 PM
Just out of curiosity, has anyone considered a "Movie Marines" take on another race, say Eldar?

Atrotos
01-29-2010, 07:17 PM
Eldar Wolf this easily could have been part of Master Bryss' post on Movie Marine Chapter Master rules as added question (as in a question you ask after commenting on the topic at hand). I haven't caught on these forums before but a major problem on these boards is posters seeking feedback without leaving any themselves. Please help out Master Bryss and I'm certain he'd be happy to expand on your topic in return.

lobster-overlord
01-29-2010, 08:42 PM
Atrotos, why? it's a completely unrelated topic.

I personally think that it is appropriate for the movie style army to be applied to the "good guys" and so seeing an Eldar or a Tau version would be cool. I seem to recall they at least had the "Firewarrior" character as a set of super stats like the Movie Marines.

Certainly not for armies like Tyranids or Necrons, although have a one off special like a movie version super stat Old One Eye, where it would take a full squad of Movie Maries to take down might work as well.

John M>
and Atrotos... don't be a Douche

Master Bryss
01-30-2010, 03:49 AM
I've seen a 'Movie' take on Chaos Marines somewhere, which included the likes of Possessed and Spawn (big evil beasties work well as an adversary, as well as the enemy's deranged subordinate.)

If an army has a 'Movie' version I believe the trick is to exaggerate the army's current strengths. For example, Movie Eldar might get a bigger Move distance and a high number of low-strength attacks, Movie Necrons could be nearly as tough as Movie Marines, able to kill tanks with a Glancing Hit again and possibly only able to walk forward (unstoppable march...)

As for Movie Nids...that's easy. More. Lots more.

Atrotos
01-30-2010, 03:58 AM
I agree Mr. Lobster, it is, for the most part, a different topic but there simply isn't enough traffic on these boards. What I was trying to intimate to Eldar Wolf was that most new threads here go unanswered or have so many off-topic posts that the original post is lost to the murky depths of time. If he wants feedback it would be nice of him to help others out especially with topics that are so similar. Really not trying to be a douche, just trying to help this community.

On topic: A problem you'll face with something like 'Movie Eldar' is adequate stats. Movie Marines are already "maxed out" stat-wise - how much farther could you push it? Giving every unit a dozen special rules could help but it certainly wouldn't be very fast paced.

Madness
01-30-2010, 07:37 AM
Eldar should get the chance to reroll every die they roll, Warlocks can reroll twice, Farseers three times.

EldarWolf
01-30-2010, 10:44 AM
I asked because the guy I usually play against thought it was a good idea but he plays Eldar not marines. Fair's fair, he would like to have a go using some of his own stuff.

Atrotos - I asked separately because on the majority of 40K boards I'd have been dogpiled for changing the topic.

Master Bryss - the Chapter Master is a great idea, it will be tried along with the rest of the movie marines!

Master Bryss
01-30-2010, 10:59 AM
Thanks very much!

(I might try Movie Assault Marines at some point. Will possibly cause minor tremors when they hit the ground.)

(I'm fully aware that's off topic btw.)

Dunadan
01-30-2010, 06:37 PM
Remember, movie Marines are super tough because it is supposed to be fluff accurate, not toughness for toughness' sake. Anyway, I agree with the posters who suggested playing up the speed and shooty aspects of the army.

Mebbe:
WS BS S T W I A Ld Sv
6 5 4 4 1 6 2 10 4++
May Fleet 3d6"(pick highest) and still fire

DA Shuriken Catapult
24" S4 AP4 Assault 6, Rending

Fusion Gun
18" SX AP1 Assault 1, Auto Wounds and Auto Penetrates

Scorpion Chainsword
+1 S, Power weapon, Rends on a 5+

Reaper Launcher
48" S5 AP2 Assault 2, Blast, Ignores Cover

Or is this not over the top enough?

Melissia
01-30-2010, 09:59 PM
And yet, movie marines are not quite fluff accurate. They've been taken down by mere humans many times.

Faultie
01-30-2010, 10:17 PM
And yet, movie marines are not quite fluff accurate. They've been taken down by mere humans many times.

Shush, you!
Space Marines are immortal! :rolleyes:

Sangre
01-31-2010, 05:40 AM

At least they're not wimpy sisters.

Melissia
01-31-2010, 02:40 PM
You mean, like the wimpy Sister that single handedly killed a Hive Tyrant in close combat? Obviously she was very weak and incapable of fighting, amirite?

Your troll is showing.

I never said Space Marines are weak, merely that "Movie Marines" are inaccurate.

Sangre
01-31-2010, 09:22 PM
You mean, like the wimpy Sister that single handedly killed a Hive Tyrant in close combat? Obviously she was very weak and incapable of fighting, amirite?

Your troll is showing.

I never said Space Marines are weak, merely that "Movie Marines" are inaccurate.

God you're getting dull.

Movie Marines are pretty accurate against ordinary Guard. I think that's the point. If they were to do Movie Tyranids, that'd be worth seeing.

Melissia
01-31-2010, 09:36 PM
Except they aren't. GEQ is not really what I'd consider accurate for the normal depictions of the Imperial Guard. Movie Guard would be fairly badass.

Sangre
02-01-2010, 06:46 AM
Draw up Movie Guard. Go on. I dare you.

Faultie
02-01-2010, 09:38 AM
I think Movie Arbites could be cool: not so much their stats themselves (it'd be Stormtrooper stats), but their gear. Executioner rounds, Power Mauls, Cybermastiffs, etc. That'd be fun.

*Goes off to ponder*

Lord Azaghul
02-01-2010, 10:01 AM
God you're getting dull.

Seconded.;)

Melissia
02-01-2010, 11:00 AM
As opposed to "movie marines" threads? :P

Everything is bigger and better in the fluff than it is in the game. Hell, Orks in the fluff are quite damn strong, ridiculously durable, and surprisingly fast in close combat, especially the nobs. As an example, take Ciaphas Cain, whom was able to outfight Khornate Berzerkers without too much trouble... and yet an ork warboss in mega armor (which is equivalent to a low-grade terminator armor, not as maneuverable or sophisticated) was blindingly fast in close combat, almost killing Cain several times because of how swift the hulking beast's maneuvers were. And that was just a run of the mill warboss, the villain of the week if you will. They also have an instinctual grasp of most kinds of combat that humans and Marines must have drilled into them with training and experience.

Master Bryss
02-01-2010, 11:29 AM
We got ALL THAT from ONE dig at Sisters of Battle? Wow.

As for Movie Guard:

Infantry Platoons are the same
Officers and Commissars more skilled
Orders more powerful to boost power of Infantry Platoons when led by an inspiring hero
Storm Troopers like Movie Marines with weaker Toughness and Deep Strike

Also, Veteran squads more powerful and unique, led by Sarges who give orders, a la Bastonne.

That's off the top of my head.

This is a Made-Up Rules section, if you make "Punt Melissia" rules then fine (maybe, I don't know), but if you're just going to argue, leave us be to the actual rules bit.

Melissia
02-01-2010, 03:00 PM
I'm just making a point about how the movie marines rules are exaggerated simply for the sake of making Marine players feel better. I don't really see the "movie" thing as necesarily that accurate, because in the fluff EVERYTHING is more dangerous than it feels in the tabletop game. Marine stats are fine, the tabletop stats just don't show their tactics properly because the Marines face off against a roughly equivalent force. Based on how people like Marshall2Crusaders argue, I would think that the bet way to create "movie marines" would actually be to change deployment rules and make it very unfair for the other army, rahter htan to change statlines and so on.

While I certainly agree that rapid fire should be changed, that should apply to all armies....

Rapid fire would be:
2 shots at R12", counts as assault
-or-
1 shot at R24", counts as heavy

Seems silly that Guardsmen couldn't charge the enemy while firing their lasguns, and then attack with their bayonets in the same turn. They do it in the fluff enough.

Atrotos
02-01-2010, 07:03 PM
Melissia makes an excellent point. Marines should not be 'just' a 15 point model but there shouldn't be a Deamon Prince that costs less than a 1000 points either. Everything is scaled down.

Rapid Fire is the way it is because it balances gameplay at the point in which opposing forces begin to close with one another. If you could rapid fire AND assault with everyone I think you would see games become more like boring chess matches where both players refuse to take the other's pawn with theirs because of the destructive chain reaction it creates all along their defenses.

DarkLink
02-02-2010, 03:51 PM
My biggest problem with the movie list is just as Melissia says. SM's aren't tougher than a carnifex. They're just exceptionally skilled and equipped shock troops that are a lot tougher than normal. Yeah, their normal rules don't quite capture that, but the Movie Marine list goes overboard.

I did, however, write a "movie Grey Knight" list, based around the fluff that a Grey Knight terminator is equivalent in power to a SM Librarian (it's actually how a Grey Knight earns the right to wear Terminator armor). The list is based around GKT's having SM statlines, and each could take a pair of psychic powers.

Justicars were slightly weaker, and could only take one power. Basic Grey Knights couldn't take psychic powers, as their psychic ability is tied up in their gestalt powers like the Shrouding. I did, however, buff their special rules quite a bit, so the Shrouding, Aegis and Rites of Exorcism are quite a bit more powerful.

BTW, for a sense of scale, the Grand Master was 300pts. Terminators were ~110 each, I think.

Brother Captains were a step above Terminators, having better stats and an additional psychic power. Grand Masters were another step above that, with stats comparable to Marneus Calgar, but with a bunch of psychic powers.

As for the psychic powers themselves, I made a 3-tier list, with 3-4 powers in each of the 3 levels. Each level contained more powerful powers than the last. Justicars and Terminators could pick from Level 1 powers, Brother Captains from Level 1 or 2, and Grand Masters could have any psychic power.

Grand Masters were 300pts, Terminators a little over 100.

vulkan_tu'shaun
02-02-2010, 06:36 PM
not off topic as such so dont powerfist my *** but these movie marine rules, what are they, where are they and if you are gunna powerfist me atleast point me the thread the rules are on.

neway yes i think not only eldar but every race should have these rules, they sound like a bita fun

Melissia
02-02-2010, 06:39 PM
http://www.scribd.com/doc/15701094/Warhammer-40k-Movie-Marines

"Movie Marines" is basically some GW Employee's moronic power fantasy. It's inaccurate, unbalanced, and quite frequently unfun to play against.

vulkan_tu'shaun
02-06-2010, 09:55 AM

"Movie Marines" is basically some GW Employee's moronic power fantasy. It's inaccurate, unbalanced, and quite frequently unfun to play against.

haha yea i agree that is over powered, but poor engough firepower into them and your bound to roll 1s, or use AP2 weapons, i dont see no eternal warrior in there?

Faultie
02-06-2010, 12:25 PM
I think they're fun rules for a one-off, cinematic style game.
For serious competition? Not really, no.

In other words, it's like a Leman Russes in a Sisters codex.