PDA

View Full Version : DeathGuard HQ Choice?

foostoofoo
08-03-2009, 05:12 PM
Well I have a small problem. I am starting a DeathGuard army and so far, HQ wise, I have Typhus and have just ordered the forge world Nurgle daemon prince and herald and also the Nurgle sorcerrer, which gives me 3 HQ's, now I really want to use Typhus, but not sure how i should configure the army for the other two, by the time psychic powers and upgrades have been given they are roughly similar points, so i just need a bit of advice. Do i use the prince? Do i use the sorcerrer and then save the prince for more mech armies when i need him? Or do i use the prince a summoned daemon and use the both of them? I dont mind people saying to ditch typhus as long as they've got a valid reason for it. Just to help, the army will roughly be 3 squads of plague marines, 4 obliterators, rhinos for 2 plague squads, plus then the HQ's, that is what i want in the core of the army but i will add more after this has all been made and painted.

Old_Paladin
08-03-2009, 06:36 PM
I have nothing against Typhus, good model and good rules, decept points for abilities.
But I'd leave him out, simply so your army can get its own thing going; develope its own characters and stories, victories and defeats.
Both the Prince and Sorceror are superb models, and would allow you to outfit them as you want (something you cannot do with Typhus).
I'd wouldn't use a summoned greater daemon. The fact you have to kill one of your own guys. You don't have any cheap champs. Plague Champs are pricey; if they have a powerfist and/or combi-weapon, you're looking at tossing a hundred point guy for another hundred point guy (making the greater daemon about 200 points).

Chumbalaya
08-03-2009, 08:13 PM
Typhus costs almost as much as a Land Raider and doesn't even have eternal warrior.

Which would you rather have?

2 Princes with Warp Time would be best. Tough, cheap, and exceptionally killy.

vman
08-04-2009, 03:51 AM
My death guard army uses Princes

Ive heard crappy things about Typhus

Cool model but yeh not that great on the field

ebolus
08-04-2009, 04:14 AM
Two Nurgle Damon Princes with flight and Warp Time is my personal favourite and always nasty. And cheap as vman points out.
But I have recently painted up Typhus myself and will try him out from time to time. The possibility of changing my army list from game to game adds to the fun of the game. That's why you should alternate between all three HQ choices, and maybe add a fourth - the second Daemon Prince ;)
The Greater Daemon has never worked well for me. Slow and only a 4+ save makes him vulnerable to focused high strength shooting and fists. And you have to add the cost for a champion so he isn't exactly cheap, rather far too expensive.

Abominable Plague Marine
08-04-2009, 07:37 AM
In 2000pts I run all three (Typhus, Prince, GUO)..............I dont find that any one choice is better than another.

1750pts, I drop Typhus, he just doesnt generate enough Fear Factor.

1500pts or less, I only run the Prince, carnt beat value for points.

Zman
08-04-2009, 08:44 AM
Uhmm i vote for Daemon prince or a Chaos lord with Nurgle daemon weapon.

RocketRollRebel
08-04-2009, 10:21 AM
Nurgle Demon princes are pretty brutal, I'd defiantly go with one. I have had some frightening encounters with a Nurgle Lord w/demon wep. He has a tendency to be able to take out tac squads on his own, just beware the hidden power fist!

ebolus
08-04-2009, 10:28 AM
Nurgle Demon princes are pretty brutal, I'd defiantly go with one. I have had some frightening encounters with a Nurgle Lord w/demon wep. He has a tendency to be able to take out tac squads on his own, just beware the hidden power fist!

That's why I always take two :D
10 S6, PW with re-rolls...

DuskRaider
08-04-2009, 05:20 PM
Skip Typhus. In fact, skip the Nurgle Sorcerer as well. They're not all that good. I'd say go with a Terminator Lord and a DP, I always have good luck with this as my HQ.

Latro_
08-05-2009, 09:25 AM
Like 'any' chaos army twin winged daemon princes are by far the most cost effective and competitive choice. They simply outclass all the other HQ choices and are prob one of if not the best HQ choice in the game.