PDA

View Full Version : Rhul Corridor Enforcers (First WM/H project)

Siyanis
09-22-2014, 09:49 AM
Howdy!

This is not my first army. There are, like, 200 painted 40k goodies in a glass display case that I've slaved over for 20 years... thousands of soldiers in the assembly-line-of-life. Saw the dogsled, lo, and I knew that it was time to...pull... that trigger. Full Metal Emergency.

Short story detailing 'Full Metal Emergency':

Visited family in Indy, 2004, attended Origins. Met the Privateer Press people, good bunch. Bought all the stuff. Shook hands, got excited, showed the people at the booths a drawing I did and I think it was Matt Wilson himself who said 'That is exactly what we'd envision our Rhul using'.

Sold. I picked up that outer-box-less mini kit with Gorten, three gunbunnies (and nobody was even calling them that yet, if they had, I would have bought 12, one for each apostle..) and grabbed a Driller. Then life happened. Lots of life, rapid fire, till I had been shifted as a stone rolls with the river, allll the way to Colorado...

Ten years later. Stay-puft marshmallow demon, Dog Sled Terminator. Something cracked the bell. I put my Ork Roadster project away, boxed up my 'ard boyz in process, dusted off a ten year old box deep in my bits vault and set to work cleaning and painting. Had to buy some new MkII books. Still need a merc deck to upgrade all my Mk I cards.

Started with the Gunbunnies...

Which went really well. Moved right to the driller...

...and then polished everything off with some swell bushes and highlights. Driller is only 70% here, bunnies are between 95% and 80% complete. I do all my white highlights in batches.

- - - Updated - - -

...also since I procrastinated in even starting this thread for a whole week, here's the first update!

I had less time on my hands this weekend so I opted to lavish my attention apon Gorten. I wanted to tie the deep purple haze eye-lighting to the big boss while still allowing for old-fashioned warm coals to pop on his back. I'll do the heated coal elements on the whole force, all at once, later. <3

I didn't really intend for these to be so close to the scheme in the book, but I really did want that earthy ceramic feel, I knew it would look wonderful with the wet mud of the bases, no matter how large or small. Also, mud basing is really easy. With all the minted foliage on the bases, though, I wanted another accent on Gorten to super-glue his look to the whole army. I gave him a JADE hammer. Had to be careful, jade is not so translucent but is always inner-lit. A close-up:

Well! As you can see from images prior, there's a Basher in the mix that wants paint. What you don't see is a High Shield squad with UA, the Tactical Arcanists, and Durgen, all in metal and awaiting their turn.

Gonna need more High Shields. Also, Colorado is drained of Rhulic Heavies on-the-shelf.