PDA

View Full Version : IG fleshout

bob9801
01-31-2010, 01:10 AM
I want a 1500, 2000 and 2500 point list. I have a few things to work with and not much cash to expand so please don't say I need to go buy 6 valkyries or 8 more leman russ. I am working on that as fast as I can:).

when I right the 2500 point list it will use up almost all of my guys which I think is getting near 150 infantry with various weapons and upgrades. I also have 2 fully magnetized hellhounds, a chimera, LR demolisher or annihilator with plasma sponsons and lascannon. There is a partially built hydra conversion for one of the hellhounds and I have a cyclops demo tank I want to incorperate just for fun.

Here is my basic plan
HQ
Company Command Squad
Straken
3x melta guns
medic
Nork Deddog

Company Command Squad
unknown loadout

Techpriest with 5 servitors. one MM one HB. or 4 servitors with 2 HB
Elites
Squad of 10 ratlings
Squad of 5 plain stormtroopers plus the seargent

Troops
Platoon cs with medic and plasma gun and stuff
as many of my 12 grenade launchers as I can through in

Platoon with medic and the rest of my grenade launchers and a few flamers

Vet squad with harker, heavy flamer,2 more flamers and demolitions doctrine. (is it ok to take multiple doctrines?)

a few more vet squads to use up the rest of my infantry and get Bastonne in there

Fast attack
2 banewolfs with HF.

Cyclops (just for the hell of it, opponent willing)

Heavy support
Leman Russ Annihilator (opponent willing) with plasma cannon sponsons and lascannon hull.

What do you think? What should I make sure to keep in the smaller lists?
I have really been liking my CCS full of melta guns. BS4, a medic to keep them alive, and CQC support so they can get up close to enemy armour.

Lord Azaghul
02-01-2010, 08:13 AM
This list is all sort of vague…
But I’ll give my feed back as best I can.

HQ’s I really don’t see a point in taking 2 ccs (or staken), unless you have lots of squads and heavy weapon teams…are you building that way?

Tech preist. I haven’t tried this fella out yet, the models are still unbuilt. But on paper they seem kind of expensive for what you get.

Ratlings: divide into two squads of 5.
Storm troops: I’ve tried these guys in so many variants. And the only real way to run them is min squad with 2 meltas. Even they they aren’t really worth it. I’d suggest dropping them.

Platoon: so how many squads are you going to here? Any heavy weapons?

Vets: I’ve been taking harker lately. I like him, but I mainly use him to out flank, and I’m still wondering if he’s worth the points.
Doctrine: you may NOT take multiple doctrines on a unit.
Cyclops: unless you’re taking a full on imperial armour list I doubt you opponent will be cool with this.

Heavy support: you’ll have to take the annihlator is the IG codex. Honestly Its one of the worst tanks in the book. When you have some spare change I’d look at buying a basilisk and either playing it has is or converting it to a manticore.

Transporst: ? anything?

I did see your conversion work at it look great. But your list building (no offense) is going to take a little work. You don’t need valks or vendettas to win (seriously, they die the first turn they show up anyway). But I think you need to build in some more reducancy; ie artillary or more troops.

Javin
02-02-2010, 03:38 PM
If your going for infantry spam I would recommend some heavy weapons support, artillery support, or movement via Chimeras.

Pick a basic idea on how your army will function then build towards that vision. Everyone charging forward? Perhaps a few melta guns to help vs armor. Add in a priest or commisar to help out.

Gunline? Heavy weapons teams and artillery are always nice. A couple of russes for a good back bone.

Mix and match? A couple of Chimeras or even Vendettas can add movement while part of the army forms a base of fire.

Play what you enjoy. Build from there.

SandWyrm
02-02-2010, 08:24 PM
Storm troops: I’ve tried these guys in so many variants. And the only real way to run them is min squad with 2 meltas. Even they they aren’t really worth it.

If you put them in Chimeras w/2 x Meltas (160 pts) things get more interesting. You can still deep-strike them if you wish, but you can also do a first turn scout rush and get short range melta love all the way up to your opponent's 4" line. Or you can outflank them and have most of the effectiveness of a more typical vet Chimelta for only 5 pts more.

bob9801
02-02-2010, 09:47 PM
I only have 1 chimera right now but I have been rebuilding it because I got it second hand and it was built poorly. I only have 3 heavy weapons teams as well. 2 HB and 1 AC. trying to get some more but I am low on cash.
My platoon(s) were just going to have as many squads as I could put in them to fill in points, unless I get a recommendation to do as many vets as I can. My reason for 2 CCS was to have the one with the meltas and nork just charge behind my hellhounds, while my second CCS gives orders to the troop moving up more slowly so they can shoot.
I have been playing a lot of urban stuff in a lego town with large building we pile our guys into. it is really cool actually. the buildings are large enough we have battles that end up with multiple squads on each side being in the building, they are big enough we didn't want to simply garrison.
Because of the common urban-ness I was looking at having multiple divisions of my army to perform tasks like long range firing, point blank havoc wreaking, and mid range position holding. a HW squad, ratlings and the leman russ would be in the first catagory. straken his CCS, harker and his vets, and the hellhounds would be in the second. and the infantry would have the second CCS to help them hold positions. I was hoping this type of setup might work for a more open map as well but I am not sure. If I switch the LR to the demolisher I would be down some long range firepower.

With my strategy in mind does my composition look a little more suitable or am I misguided? I will actually right up some lists with points and numbers attached in a day or 2. Is it highly recommended to try to put heavy weapons in other squads? I liked having a dedicated HW squad so my other squads could move around and my HW could sit and shoot.

Lord Azaghul
02-03-2010, 07:48 AM
Your list will definatly work better in urban environments, a full open table can be rough for any guard list

I take one platoon in my standard list and I love it.
My typical load out:
Pcs: melta/flamer
3xsquads with flamers and vet w/melta bomb
Hw squad: mortars
Hw squad: autocannons
Hw squad: lascannons

I find it a lot more fun then the standard vet IG list.

That being said: vets can be great, and are a good addition to the army, and if your hard up on points/models a way to make use of 10 men.

I still think for larger games you’re going to want some form of artillary (eventually)
If you're curious as to what I field you can dig around in my blog a bit

bob9801
02-03-2010, 01:14 PM
I will look at your list. I want some artillery. I was looking at the colossus and the medusa, but I am going to put magnets on everything so I can change it up if I need to.
I was looking at what you get using the annihilator and it is pretty pricey. a twin linked lascannon that is relentless and uber tough. that is basically it. running a HW squad full of lascannons would be much better I think.
Does anyone have any recommendations on the master of ordinance? Good, Bad, Fun to have around but otherwise not worth it?

Lord Azaghul
02-03-2010, 02:35 PM
MoO is great for what you pay. 30pts and he can fire every turn.