PDA

View Full Version : Battlefleet Gothic Prototype on IndieGOGO

Grand Cauldron
09-26-2014, 03:08 AM
Hello ladies and gentlemen,

We are a small team of experienced video game developpers, and we think Battlefleet Gothic deserves an adaptation or at least a game that feels like it.

We are working on a turn-based spaceships battle for mobile devices. We are targetting mobile because we think using your fingers is key to the experience of tabletop games. We loved the Blood Bowl PC adaptation, but it felt somewhat "sad" to click with the mouse. Even a good game won't replace the feeling of moving minis, so we want to manage user interface in a way that feels at least like touching something. PCs are not completely excluded of course, but it's not our main target.

Depending on if we can get the licence for BFG or not, the rules will be house made or re-use those of BFG.

We launched an Indiegogo campaign for the prototype, do not hesitate to show your support by sharing the link or participating:
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/mobile-turn-based-spaceship-battles-prototype

You will find there an insight of how we intend to manage basic interactions, and your feedbacks will be greatly appreciated. We'd like to get those feedbacks early in the development process, as we really want to involve the BFG community and make a game that pleases those who makes it alive.

Thanks for reading :)

For the Emperor! (or Death to the false Emperor!, depending on your side)
The Grand Cauldron team

Note: you can have a look at our website www.grandcauldron.com where you will see our first indie project actually in development.

GrauGeist
09-29-2014, 11:45 AM
If you don't have a GW link, what makes you think that you can go forward with this and not have yourselves sued to death?

You need to show a license from GW before you'll get a single penny from me.

Rev. Tiberius Jackhammer
09-29-2014, 01:54 PM
I appreciate the need for a strong prototype to show to GW when trying to solicit a license, but I'm not comfortable putting money into something that has a very high chance of being swatted down by a lawyer.

Do you guys have a backup plan, applying similar mechanics to a non-40k space battle sim?

GrauGeist
09-29-2014, 02:21 PM
Pretending that people put money in, what do they get? There is no game reward. Nothing.

When we boil it down, this is basically a charity request to help an underfunded group of guys to maybe make something. Or not.

No, I think the best answer is that we all report this to GW as a blatant IP violation at [email protected]

Rev. Tiberius Jackhammer
09-29-2014, 06:17 PM
No, I think the best answer is that we all report this to GW as a blatant IP violation at [email protected] don't - they clearly intend to request a license once they have a stronger prototype to showcase. Considering how many small 40k video games GW's been licensing (Space Hulk, that tower defense thing etc), I think there's a decent chance they'd license this project.

Grand Cauldron
10-06-2014, 02:52 AM
Hello,

We are sorry if some of you get offended by our campaign. We understand your concerns though.

We indeed have a backup plan. We will make a turn-based spaceships game on mobile, be it BFG or not. It may even help us get the licence later (like Cyanide with Chaos League).

To avoid legal issues, we removed the "BFG adaptation" part and rather talk about a "BFG-like game".

The campaign is still here on IndieGogo (it can't be turned off anyway). As you said, it is indeed a charity request to make a prototype. We chose to do it that way because we do not intend to use crowdfunding for the complete game, we only need a little help to start the project. It may be a bad strategy for some of you, but well, we had to take a decision at some point ;)

Thanks for your returns, all comments are useful for us, even the un-happy ones.