PDA

View Full Version : 9K Apocalypse Game

Shadoq
02-01-2010, 05:30 PM
Apocalypse 9K each side game AAR:

Buddy of mine and I decided to have an Apoc sized slugfest on a table measuring rougly 8 feet by 8 feet. We agreed upon 9K each with each player having D6 strategic assets. Rolled it up and got 4 assets each. Additionally, we deployed 6 objectives, 2 in No Man's Land, 2 in my DZ, 2 in my opponent's DZ. The stipulation was that any unit of any type could hold an objective as long as it was within 3 inches of the marker. It would be my Salamanders, Black Templars, and Imperial Guard vs. Ultramarines.

My army consisted roughly of:

BT:
Emperor's Champion
Marshal w/ powerfist, term honors, artificer, iron halo
10X Crusader w/PF-Land Raider Crusader
10X Crusader w/PF-Land Raider
10X Crusader w/PF-Drop Pod

Salamanders
Vulkan
Captain on Bike w/ Relic Blade, SS, and Artificer
5X Termies w/ TH+SS -Land Raider Crusader
8X Bike Squad w/ 2 melta and PF
8X Bike Squad w/ 2 melta and PF
2X Attack Bike w/MM
2X Attack Bike w/MM

Imperial Guard:
4X Primaris Psyker
Vet Sqd, Grenadiers, 3X GL-Chimera
Vet Sqd, Grenadiers, 3X Melta-Vendetta
Vet Sqd, Grenadiers, 3X Melta-Vendetta
6X Auto Cannon Heavy Weaps Teams(priced at 100 pts)
Manticore
Leman Russ, hull Las
Leman Russ, hull Las
Leman Russ Demo, hull Las
Leman Russ Demo, hull Las
Leman Russ Exec, sponson plas
Leman Russ Exec, sponson plas
Destroyer Tank Hunter
Baneblade
Baneblade
Shadowsword

Total: 9K

His army was footslogging marines led by Calgar in a Masters of the Chapter unit. He had limited vehicular support consisting of 5 Razorbacks w/ TL Las, 1 Dread, 1 Whirlwind, 1 Land Raider. The Guard tank commanders were rubbing their hands together in anticipation.

Setup our terrain(see pics below) and bid for deployment time. I had the lower time with 10 minutes and began to setup. I decided to deploy all of my Imperial Guard minus the melta vets. In addition, I held all of my marines in reserve to outflank my enemy's rear courtesy of one of my assets.

My opponent then deployed, sticking as much of his infantry in cover as possible to minimize the pain inflicted by the Baneblades and Shadowsword.

Top of turn 1:
Half of my reserves came in, outflanking to my opponent's rear. I elected to bring in all of the Salamanders minus Vulkan and the termies in addition to the melta vets in their Vendettas. All of my IG tanks held position and prepared to unleash hell. Melta vets fast roped out of Vendettas to target an enemy Dread and Whirlwhind. Bike squads were moved to their flanks to engage squads on my opponent's DZ objectives.

Shooting phase was fairly lackluster by IG standards with the Leman Russes being fairly ineffective or out of range.The Baneblades each targeted enemy Devastator squads, engaging and routing 3 squads between the two of them. The Shadowsword targeted Calgar in his formation but scattered to the back line, vaporizing the attached command squad. Combined fire from the Melta vets and the Vendettas destroyed the enemy's Dread and Whirlwind.

In close combat, my bike squads engaged two tactical squads in close combat, reducing their strengths but failing to win and thus remained locked.

Bottom of Turn 1:
My opponent moved his forces to react to the large scale incursion in his back line, maneuvering expendable but close combat tooled scout squads for a charge. Calgar with his angry face on started his march towards the distant Shadowsword with his masters of the chapter in tow.

Enemy shooting put a structure point of damage on the Shadowsword and almost took it's main gun out but the ancient warmachine shrugged off the pain. Elsewhere in the Imperial tank line, a Demolisher lost it's turret and a Chimera carrying a Primaris Psyker and Veteran squad was immobilized and shaken due to massed Razorback fire. In the Ultramarine back lines, one Vendetta was lost to melta fire. The rest of the Ultramarine force held their fire due to lack of range or unavailable targets.

In the assault phase, charges were declared against both melta vet squads. 1 squad was destroyed entirely and the other was reduced to 3 melta gunners and the squad's sergeant. Both of my bike squads won their close combats and consolidated towards enemy forces.

Top of Turn 2:
My Black Templars arrived alongside Vulkan and his terminator entourage on my opponent's right flank in an attempt to knock out the Razorbacks stationed there with their infantry protection units. My three drop pods slammed home in No Man's land in an attempt to secure the objectives there. In response to turn one's lack of range, several IG tank commanders moved forward to bring their machines in to firing range. The venerable Shadowsword held still as it charged it's weapons in preparation to fire again.

In the shooting phase, the Imperial super heavies concentrated all of their fire on Calgar and his command, killing 2 captains, and leaving Calgar and the remaining commanders with 1 wound each. In my opponent's DZ, Salamander and Templar armor and attack bikes worked hand in hand to destroy 2 Razorbacks with the remainder being set up for charges by anti tank infantry.

Turn 2 assault phase saw a moral victory for the Ultramarines as Vulkan failed a 3+ invuln save and fell to the power fist of a Devestator squad sergeant. Vulkan's terminator squads took vengance for their fallen commander by vaporizing another Razorback and other infantry squads in close combat. The Templar's Emperor's Champion led a charge against an enemy tactical squad and quickly hacked them to pieces followed by a consolidation towards another enemy unit. Elsewhere, Ultramarines destroyed the remaining melta veteran squad and failed in an attempt to destroy one of the Salamander's bike squads.

Bottom of Turn 2:
The Ultramarines right flank was in danger of crumbling due to the shock attack made by mechanized Templars and Salamanders. Multiple units sent running in the previous assault phase rallied and prepared for the oncoming storm of Templars and Salamanders. Calgar and his commanders continued their unstoppable march towards the Shadowsword, drawing within 18 inches. Calgar would remember next time to use a Land Raider for quicker movement.

The remaining Ultramarines carrying heavy weapons attempted to shoot at the line of Imperial armor but failed to score any penetrating hits against the machines of the Imperium.

In the close combat phase, Ultramarine units moved to engage the Salamander terminators and Black Templar crusader units and inflicted minimal casualties, sustaining heavy casualties in return from the thunder hammers of the Salamanders and chainswords of the Templars.

At the end of turn 2, 2 objectives were held by the Ultramarines, and the combined Salamanders, Templars, and Guard in each army's deployment zone. The No Man's Land objectives remained contested.

The game was called at this point due to time. We started playing at roughly 6 pm and managed only 2 full turns by 1:30 am. This was due to the Ultramarines player being unfamiliar with Apocalypse and general 40k rules in addition to us being constantly interrupted by other people. Note to self, find new space to play Apoc in. However, we both had fun and agreed to play another smaller(5K) Apoc game as soon as possible.

Imperial MVP: Vehicle: Shadowsword- it slices, it dices, it vaporizes.
Infantry: Salamander Captain on Bike- single handedly destroyed 2 enemy squads

Ultramarines MVP: Vehicle: Razorback-cheap unit with TL LasC can destroy Imperial heavy armor
Infantry: Devastator sqd Sgt- this is the second time his power fist has inflicted insta death upon an enemy commander.

SombreBrotherhood
02-01-2010, 07:16 PM
How does a newcomer to the hobby have 9K points of Smurfs with only 8 vehicles, only one of which had a front armor value greater than 12?

Shadoq
02-01-2010, 09:20 PM
He isn't a newcomer to 40k. He has been collecting since 3rd Edition and the weird looking Razorback still makes me laugh. He bought what he liked the looks of and that happened to be a lot of infantry. He pretty much has a complete battle company and then some. He is a newcomer to gaming with the models.

SombreBrotherhood
02-01-2010, 09:50 PM
Aha. How about you loan him one of your 4 superheavies for the next game?

Shadoq
02-01-2010, 10:52 PM
I offered multiple times.
He declined multiple times.

Simple enough.