PDA

View Full Version : Learning to fly - a Cadets guide to the glorious Imperial Navy

Mr Mystery
10-07-2014, 02:15 PM
How do?

So we don't actually have one of these threads so far, and it's high time we had one.

Aiming for beginner level stuff, rather than the equally impressive and terrifying level you find elsewhere.

Any all advice required and welcome though - from those difficult first purchase recommendations (not just for the ships, but the cards you feel are essential), up to the pitfalls and perks of each ship.

As a NooB myself, I don't have a great deal to contribute at this point - but hope to get a few more missions under my belt in the very near future. Having said that, I can wax lyrical about the TIE Phantom...

TIE Phantom - reputedly one of the hardest ships to master, thanks to it's (so far) unique Cloaking Device, and in particular the elite Pilot 'Echo', who can pull off all sorts of shenanigans. Now despite being a NooB, I've had great success with this slippery devil thanks to a simple maxim (say it with me now!) "There's no accounting for stupid".

I use him like Johnnie Cochran uses the Chewbacca defence, i.e. - Look at the monkey, look at the monkey. Total distraction tactics up the wazoo. Have no master plan for him/her* (can't find info on them!). Just fly around, cloaked and looking menacing. And never, ever leave your Hanger without an Advanced Cloaking Device. To be able to fly, barrel roll, decloak, dakka/pew pew*, and then cloak again is priceless, and ensures your dude/lady* is never caught with their pants down. And if you can, always go for those hilarious Range 1 attacks - 5 Attack Dice - they don't like it up 'em Lord Vader, they don't like it up 'em.

And whilst your opponent is stressing about exactly where Echo is, and what he/she is looking to knack, you get a much wider play with your other ships (I went with 2 Fighters, 2 Interceptors), making the entire list that much more potent.

Now this isn't for everyone, and indeed if you're actually a competent pilot then Echo in particular can do filthy, filthy things. But do give it some thought. You don't even have to decloak, ever. It's a power play piece to me, there to allow me to seize control of the initiative, and hopefully keep it!

Right, that's my waffle done for now, and I look forward to your contributions.

And feel free to start a Rookie Rebels guide, I'm not precious like that!

*Delete as appropriate

Brenlak
10-23-2014, 10:09 PM
Okay, this thread has been here for a big long time now and still no follow up.

That's all I have to say because like the rest of you all I have no idea how to fly my ships. If it's not asteroids it's other ships (Some of them my own), heck that's half the reason I love Lambda.

There is a strange beauty to the movement phase you know, if you see an easy move to do so does your opponent. Then your trying to figure his movement (because he has figured yours, but does he know that you know?), it's really almost like chess (Well Canadian Chess...) and with many ships on the map, all moving different it's great fun. Fun that I have not won.

I see how effective a TIE-Phantom is, thanks be to Mystery, but there must be some good combos out there too. Comon Internets!

Daredhnu
10-30-2014, 03:22 AM
well as far as some rookie advice goes: "your ships do not measure up to the rebel ships" sums it about up i think.
quite frankly the lack of shields on about 90% of our ships is a severe drawback which leads to the Imperial player having to be far more conscious of the consequences should he have a bad round of maneuvers, luckily Imperial ships in general are more maneuverable than their rebel counterparts and on the whole it's probably better for you to skip a turn of shooting if it means you cannot be shot at in return, the high attack value of pretty much every rebel ship means that a single turn of shooting can completely destroy or cripple a ship of ours simply because of the way the odds are stacked in the attackers favour, while the rebels are afforded some breathing room due to their shields, the activation phase is far more important to the Imperial player because of this.

i'll ponder some more on actual tactics for a follow-up post.

Kirkanos
10-31-2014, 06:31 AM
There's some really good articles I read on Bols here:

http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2014/07/x-wing-swarm-theory-part-1.html

http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2014/07/x-wing-swarm-theory-part-2-bonus-battle.html

http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2014/07/x-wing-swarm-theory-pt-3-howlrunner.html

http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2014/07/x-wing-swarm-theory-part-4.html

They're a really good read.