PDA

View Full Version : Hammer and Anvil - SW cunning plan?

Denzark
02-02-2010, 06:26 AM
Has anybody had any good effect with Wolf Scouts 'Behind Enemy Lines' business?

I was just mulling over (when I should be working) whether or not to ditch Wolf Guard, max Grey Hunters for 2 special weapons, and fit in 3 squads of Scouts, all coming in behind - grey hunters and armour advance from the front.

I know the pay off is random arrival - there are no guarantees on reserves but would it make the enemy split their force in defence?

Think it might be really usefull against those Tau/IG and any others who sit backlined and blow sh*t up.

Any comments on this random thought?

Pastorofmuppets
02-02-2010, 08:36 AM
Any opportunity to dislodge heavy shooters and make his backfield unsafe should be taken be careful though to have at least some tank-breaking capability.

MarshalAdamar
02-02-2010, 10:04 AM
I've had good luck with one or two small units.

Just remember they're going to die after come on the board usually so you want them expendable.

I give them melta bombs and a melta gun usually and use them to hit basilisks, whirlwinds, and any other rear echelon lurkers.

But if you know you're playing against IG or Tau or some other army with squishy troops you might take a larger squad with a power weapon lead by a wolf guard if you think you can get into some troops (heavy weapons teams are one of my favorites.)

Two small units work better than one large one. It allows you to hit more than one target, maybe melta bomb that Leman Russ with one unit and charge a heavy weapons team with another.

With a 12” threat range you should have pick of the litter if you will of good soft targets.

Disgruntled_Viking
02-02-2010, 04:14 PM
I have to agree, I have a minimal 5-man Scout Squad with two Plasma Pistol and a Melta-gun used for nothing more but high-profile kills. They can get pricey and you have to expect them to die but if used right they can really mess up a guys day. Last game they earned their points but swooping in and unloading into Dante's Honor Guard, was able to the last of them off before they get the charge on my Wolf Lord.

Not so sure how 3 squads would do though. Though they are pretty much Grey Hunters with either a pistol/CC or a bolter and a 4+ save so theyre still killey considering. Get them in cover and they could survive shooting fairly well and we all know how the CC would go.

xanoasucy
02-02-2010, 04:38 PM
I've had recent success with them:
As the Tyranid horde was advancing on my 1 objective they came in on my table edge to help delay the Hive Mind's hunger. I had them equipped with 1x Plasma Gun and 2xPlasma Pistol and 2xBoltgun and they helped bring down the Doom of Malan'tai to a managable size so it could get finished off in assault by the Grey Hunter squad holding the objective. And the turn after, they put a couple wounds on the Tervigon heading towards my objective as well this let the Long Fangs pick him off right afterwards.

I gave him a Plasma instead of Melta in the theory that one extra shot into what will usually be rear armor should be enough to bust almost anything if not give them some Meltabombs to go cover all corners.

Disgruntled_Viking
02-03-2010, 09:28 AM
True enough, that extra shot can mean the difference in the long run. Regardless being able to have two plasma pistols on top of a extra special weapon included is always a good surprise for enemy army to see. Ive been facing Blood Angels so much I gotta use that Melta to bypass the Dante/Corpula combo of "Wound...MAGIC ARROW OF HEALING!...what wound?"

Samura_I_amurai
02-03-2010, 12:43 PM
I don't know if I would ever sub out Wolf Guard. But I agree that a unit of scouts is excellent. I break mine down into Tank busting and Assassination. Tank busters, I run a 5 man squad equiped with melta bombs and a melta gun. This is more than adequate for taking down a hevily armored vehicle. Assassination, I like the idea of plasma pistols and a plasma gun in a squad from 5-8. However, do not equip the squad with melta bombs. Remember that if you rapid fire there is NO option to assault.
Also, as for the randomness of their arrival, that is a non issue. Turn one they have a 33% chance of coming in. Then they have a 66.6% chance of coming in where you want them. Those are great odds and keep your opponent worried. Take them every time.

Unlighted
02-03-2010, 11:43 PM
I wouldn't go full bore, but a squad or maybe two are great for herding the sit back and shoot armies from the edges.

They are a good disruption force, but if you invest to much into them you risk splitting your forces to much allowing your opponents to destroy you piecemeal.