Battlewagon
Deffrolla
Armour plates
Grot riggers
Bigshootazx2

Total:1460
Killpoints:9
Scoring units:2

I would like a 3 battlewagon competative army, for a local tournament, this is what i have come up with. Any ideas? I can see a few problems such as there are only 2 troop choices so it is going to be hard to hold objectives (but this is an elite army!) Another idea would be to swap the 30boy mob into 2 mobs of 12 and put them both in trukks. They then follow behind the BWs grtting cover/not being seen. This increases troop choices but also kill points! Any ideas?

Ghazghul and the mek ride with the Magenobz (centre bw-so KFF affects all bws)

C&C welcome

Nabterayl
02-03-2010, 01:32 AM
Question: does your local tournament scene allow deffrollas to affect vehicles? If not, I'd suggest dropping them - I'm not convinced that it's worth 20 points to pay for d6 hits that still allow armor saves. What does that kill that would make a difference to the passengers? Reinforced rams I can see, since it's often worth it to be able to drive straight through Difficult Terrain rather than going around (especially given how slow battlewagons are, and how wide their side aspects are). But deffrollas, unless you play in a group that allows them to affect vehicles, are close to worthless in my personal opinion.

I do think that splitting the boyz into two units might prove beneficial. I'm not sure that a single footslogging mob (especially one whose KFF is driving away) would reliably survive to kill anything, which makes that an objective holding unit. And I think two trukks (especially trukks that can tank shock) will, in general, do a better job of grabbing/holding objectives than a single foot mob.

Going back to the deffrollas vs. vehicles ruling in your local scene ... how do you plan to deal with vehicles, should you see a lot of them? Ghazghkull and his bully boys have enough power klaw attacks to take out pretty much anything they can get their hands on even if it's moving fast. The killkannon is effectively S8 vs. vehicles (ordnance is essentially the equivalent of +1S, statistically), so if you don't put Ghazghkull in the killkannon battlewagon that's a light vehicle killer that could operate alongside the mega armor. But other than that, it looks like you have ... deffrollas. And depending on your local tournament scene, maybe/probably not even that.

EDIT:
Ghazghul and the mek ride with the Magenobz
This typo cracked me up. How come I don't have any mage nobz?! ;)

Masterowen45
02-03-2010, 03:16 PM
Ok, I have altered the list a little and C&C would be very appreciated. I would like to field 3 BW (as i have them) and be slightly competitive. I have changed the mob of 30 boyz into 2 trucks full of boys. These would then ride behind the BWs getting cover and getting objectives. The only problem with this is it creates even more kill points. Maybe puting the mega nobz in a trukk, 12 burnaz in a bw and then 20 mobs of boyz x2 in bws. Would this be better.

HQ
Ghazghull

Big Mek
KFF
Cybork body

Troops
MegaNobzx4 (BW)

Boyzx12(Slugga)
Nob
PK
Trukk

Boyzx12(Slugga)
Nob
PK
Trukk

Elite
Burna boyzx10 (in BW)
Burna Boyzx10 (in BW)

Heavy
Battlewagon
Deffrolla
Armour plates
Grot riggers
Bigshootazx2

Battlewagon
Deffrolla
Armour plates
Grot riggers
Bigshootazx1
KillKannon

Battlewagon
Deffrolla
Armour plates
Grot riggers
Bigshootazx2

total:1529 (Just over-need some cut backs)
Kill points:12
Scoring units:3 (still not many, but it is a elite army!)

Nabterayl
02-03-2010, 03:53 PM
I like your second suggested build better, personally. It puts the trukks' speed to use, and in my opinion gives the enemy more threats to deal with. If you have three battlewagons full of your killiest stuff and two trukks full of not-so-killy stuff that are hiding behind the battlewagons, it's fairly obvious that the battlewagons should be your opponent's priority. On the other hand, if you have three battlewagons full of fairly killy stuff rumbling up behind two fragile trukks packed with killy stuff that are zooming ahead of the battlewagons, it's less clear what your opponent should go for.

Well, okay, it's not less clear - anybody who's had a trukk full of meganobz bypass their anti-CC units and rip the guts out of their regular units knows you shouldn't ignore that trukk, but even if the opponent recognizes that, time spent killing the meganobz and burna trukk is time allowing your battlewagons rumble into position to get the real job done.

Your comment about the battlewagons makes me wonder - is this, more or less, the model selection that you want to restrict yourself to? I ask because, for my tastes at least, the army still seems to lack anti-transport options. The question I ask myself is this: suppose you ran into another mechanized army, and the enemy did not obligingly disembark to fight you? What would you do? It seems like your only real option would be to dismount yourself and try to power klaw the enemy's transports. While that might work, it surrenders the initiative to your opponent: you are now disembarked and vulnerable, leaving you open to heavy fire or even getting charged, which as a fellow ork player you know is bad news for the ladz.

If this were one of my ork armies, I'd try to include at least one army element that didn't have to dismount to take on vehicles, be it rokkit deffkoptaz or rokkit buggies, suicidal tankbustaz in a transport, lootaz (everybody's perennial favorite it seems, though not my personal taste), tank-hunting warbikes, or even just grot-krewed kannon. First place I'd look to free up some space, if this were me, would be that second squad of burnaz - ten templates makes me giggle like a snotling, but I'm not sure that twenty templates is worth the risk that a clever armored commander lures you out of your transports and then pastes you.