PDA

View Full Version : Metal imperial guard

crazyredpraetorian
07-24-2009, 11:40 AM
I play Praetorians because I had a buttload of them in storage....and I like the old metal figures. What old IG army do you play and why?

Demosthenes
07-24-2009, 04:43 PM
I play Mordians because I've always loved their dress uniforms. It's also really cool to be able to go to a national GT with them and know that no one else will have an army that comes close to resembling them...unless of course you're there crazyredpraetorian.

Btw, thanks again for those Praetorian causalities. I made some pretty cool objective markers with em.

crazyredpraetorian
07-25-2009, 09:12 PM
I still think we need to get an Apoc game metal IG Vs. Nids. There are a couple of guys that play on Friday @ BFG that have Praetorians and Mordians. It could be a truly epic battle!

Dosadi
07-27-2009, 05:17 PM
I play a "Black Ops" IG army with =I= Allies (actually it's his army:cool:).

I'm using a wide variety of new and old models.
I've got two vet squads; one is made from Necromunda Delaques. I call them the "Serpent Syndicate", a criminal organisation my Inquisitor infiltrated and took over decades ago. They have the doctrine that gives them camo cloaks and snare mines. They ride in a Valkyre with a Commisar Lord who keeps an eye on them.
My second vet squad is led by Harker; using the old Necro Orlock heavy bolter model to represent him. The rest of the squad is a mix of old metal Catachans, Tanith ghosts (the girl model) and necro Orlocks. My other two troops are penal legion made up of the FW renegade milita with Cadian legs, arms and lasguns. I GS's over the chaos symbols and call them The Droogs. Basically when my Inquisitor needs bodies to throw at the enemy he visits the local prison and "recruits" some inmates, fits them with chem-inhalers and sets them to their task.

A Stormtrooper (IG) squad, a pair of Valkyries a Callidus assassin and Guardsman Marbo rounds out the army.

If I choose, nothing will start on the table. Everything can deep strike, outflank or just appear.
It doesn’t win many games, but is sure fun to play with or against.:)

Dosadi

CrusherJoe
07-28-2009, 03:38 AM
Hey Dosadi, that does sound like a fun army to play -- don't know about how much fun to play against with all the deep striking and infltrating going on but hey, it still sounds fun. :)

You've kind of hit on the same "theme" I've been approaching the =I= army I've been thinking of. I want to make it because it'll be the "fun" army (hopefully). Can't say I'm going to be using any IG elements, though -- I'll either go mostly Sisters or mostly GKs -- maybe even a little of both.

We'll see -- I'm still in the conceptual stages with it, and there's a lot of stuff going on right now to start a brand new project, so it'll probably begin to take shape late in the year -- here's hoping, anyway.

Dosadi
07-28-2009, 06:17 AM
The army is really inspired by the Dan Abnett Inquisition novels and the ol' Inquisitor game. It’s an Ordo Hereticus Strike Team and I decided that there would be no power armour in the army as fluff wise, it’s all about hunting cults, mutants and, witches. So the two most powerful things in the army are the Inquisitor and the Calidus Assassin. I’ve got enough power armour in my other armies and this way I can really use some obscure old models and convert up some cool looking henchmen. Right now it’s 1500 points, but with Planetstrike I’m going to pump it to 2000 with the addition of more elites (3 deathcult assassins) a third HQ (Sanctioned Psyker) and possibly a squad of Seraphim (they are just so cool, I’ll break my rule :cool: ).

I’ll post a full list in the Army List forum when I get a chance.

Dosadi

crazyredpraetorian
07-28-2009, 09:40 AM
The army is really inspired by the Dan Abnett Inquisition novels and the ol' Inquisitor game. It’s an Ordo Hereticus Strike Team and I decided that there would be no power armour in the army as fluff wise, it’s all about hunting cults, mutants and, witches. So the two most powerful things in the army are the Inquisitor and the Calidus Assassin. I’ve got enough power armour in my other armies and this way I can really use some obscure old models and convert up some cool looking henchmen. Right now it’s 1500 points, but with Planetstrike I’m going to pump it to 2000 with the addition of more elites (3 deathcult assassins) a third HQ (Sanctioned Psyker) and possibly a squad of Seraphim (they are just so cool, I’ll break my rule :cool: ).

I’ll post a full list in the Army List forum when I get a chance.

Dosadi

It sounds cool. I'd like to see pics.

M3mph1s
07-31-2009, 11:52 AM
I played Steel Legion for a while, but then I saw the West Wind German gas mask heads, so I just snagged a few of those and plastered them on my hundreds of useless Cadian bodies. Suprisingly, if the Cadian bodies have good, normal sized heads, they actually look pretty cool.

Norseman
07-31-2009, 12:01 PM
I am a bit hard core...when it comes to Pewter IG.

I am allergic to CA glue so I try to minimize my exposure by collecting Pewter armies.

I have at least a platoon of every GW released IG.

My main armies are Valhallan and Steel legion. Over 500 Infantry between them.

My particular point of pride is my Steel legion conscripts. All Ash Waste Nomads.

CrusherJoe
07-31-2009, 12:04 PM

I am allergic to CA glue so I try to minimize my exposure by collecting Pewter armies.

My particular point of pride is my Steel legion conscripts. All Ash Waste Nomads.

Wow, sorry to hear about that allergy, that's...unfortunate, but you've managed to turn it into a positive and that's quite an accomplishment!

Col.Gravis
07-31-2009, 12:54 PM
Another Praetorian IG player here.

Dragonforge
07-31-2009, 01:13 PM
Ive a large collection of the Vostroyans Ive been putting together which I hope to start painting this winter when its to cold outside to do anything else. Also with the new IG vehicle kits coming out now I can model the tanks I want for the army.

grimm
07-31-2009, 02:49 PM
Two IG regiments: Cadian (main) and Valhallan (secondary).

The Valhallans, while limited in their opportunity to convert, ooze class.

Javin
07-31-2009, 03:08 PM

How do you keep everything together?

Drunkencorgimaster
07-31-2009, 03:48 PM
I have a large Valhallan army (renamed the "Varangian 37th Guards" though). However, the Stormtroopers are Kaskrin while the conscripts are Tallarn. The latter have been given beards and torn-clothing courtesy of green stuff. I remodelled the basic Valhallan lasgun to carry drum clips so they would look more like PPsh submachine guns from WWII. I like the poses, but the metal army is damn heavy and the paint chips much more easily than plastic. I'd love to see a plastic Valhallan line come out. I have been hearing since 1998 that it is due to arrive any minute.

evil_bryan
07-31-2009, 04:09 PM
I have 100+ Cadians and 100+ Praetorians that will be my army project for 2010. I love the character of the metal Cadians and how can anyone not love the pith helmet and dress uniforms of the Praetorians.

Jackmojo
07-31-2009, 04:53 PM
Woah mis post wrong thread.

Awesomest first post ever.

Norseman
07-31-2009, 07:20 PM
How do you keep everything together?

I do use CA Glue(havent found anything else that works) but with lots of fans and ventalation, Then with a lot of coughing and sneezing for a day after. That is why I try to minimize using it.

The Valhallans, while limited in their opportunity to convert, ooze class.

Oh yeah... Nothing says class like Valhallans. Unfortunatly a hard army to have ally with any other IG. Usually due to the snow bases.

Sangre
07-31-2009, 07:54 PM
Not a big fan of metal models, I prefer the flexibility and individuality (and relative cost) of plastics - and if the rumour I heard recently of all-plastic IG regiments is coming true, then I'm going to have a lot of grumpy little Mordians.

crazyredpraetorian
07-31-2009, 10:40 PM
I do use CA Glue(havent found anything else that works) but with lots of fans and ventalation, Then with a lot of coughing and sneezing for a day after. That is why I try to minimize using it.

Oh yeah... Nothing says class like Valhallans. Unfortunatly a hard army to have ally with any other IG. Usually due to the snow bases.

Norseman, have you tried Bob Smith Indutries Glue? They make an odoress/vaporless glue that may help you out. A friend of mine has chronic allergies and asthma and it worked real well for him. Here is a link to their site http://www.bsi-inc.com/ . Quite a few hobby stores carry their brand. Hobby Town comes to mind.

Silversurfer
08-01-2009, 05:59 AM
I personnally play old metal cadian models, mostly because they look awesome and not like those cheap new cadians ... but also because I started playing IG with those models ...

dumplingman
08-01-2009, 09:55 AM
I play an tallarn old school Tallarn army. Ever since I first started playing 40k I've always wanted a tallarn force of desert warriors. Then a few years back I found a great deal on an army and now its fully pained and fielded. Including my 12 flamer conversions from old grenade launcher miniatures.

Tallarn
08-01-2009, 04:46 PM
All desert raider force (odd considering the name right?) I use origional stormtroopers for the command HQ and 2x platoons of 3x squads of raiders. For my veteran squads I use House Escher models and the conscripts are cadain / catachan plastic hybrids in bright orange jump suits...

I even managed to pick this guy up one day... never seen another one like him:

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee62/tallarn_bucket/c060_1.jpg

With a little work (and a silencer) he came out thusly:

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee62/tallarn_bucket/LeftSideComplete.jpg

If anyone out there knows anything about where this guy came from id sure love to hear it...

Demosthenes
08-02-2009, 05:45 AM
if the rumour I heard recently of all-plastic IG regiments is coming true, then I'm going to have a lot of grumpy little Mordians.

I hear you! The only thing I could hope for is that the plastic models have armor plates on the outside (maybe similar to cadian pattern armor). At least that way I'd have something I could use as Mordian storm troopers if I ever decide to add those

Tsen
08-03-2009, 09:32 AM
I dont really play and "old" metal guard army but I have about 150 vostroyans for my infantry company I made, just working on making that a mechanized company now. Carrying my army is becoming a work out.

crazyredpraetorian
08-03-2009, 09:36 AM
I hear you! The only thing I could hope for is that the plastic models have armor plates on the outside (maybe similar to cadian pattern armor). At least that way I'd have something I could use as Mordian storm troopers if I ever decide to add those

You should check out Dave's Mordians. He did a really nice Mordian headswap onto cadian bodies. He's usually @ BFG on Friday nights.

Slann
08-03-2009, 09:47 AM
I used to run a steel legion force , sld them all though cause I went a diffeent rout with my guard but i miss them a little . I lie to convert a lot so I am more into lastics now a day .

Brother Mord
08-03-2009, 12:18 PM
My IG army is mostly the old metal Cadian models. I like the look of them better than the newer Cadian plastics. They are different enough also that I don't feel like I could expand my army with the newer plastics and not have them look out of place. Fortuantly I still have some old metal Cadians I haven't built yet to keep expanding with.

I also collected a squad of vallhallans, mordians and Tallarn troops when they came out. Gave the desert troops to my brother and use the mordians as vetrans from time to time. The valhallans are too out of place for me to use any more.

Col.Gravis
08-03-2009, 12:30 PM
If anyone out there knows anything about where this guy came from id sure love to hear it...

Only to say no I've never seen that model before either, maybe a sculptors training piece? Unusual models like that do turn up from time to time as limited runs.

mordiano
08-03-2009, 12:49 PM
Hi everyone!

Nice thread, Ill start off with some reasons to collect metal IG and then move on to my collection:

Plastic Cadians are to big for my taste, with a size comparison with space marines they are almos comparable!!
Then there are som inherent limitations of multicomponent plastics: The arms cannot be tucked in, giving the models a to big 3D volume. Ad to that the huge helmets, shoulderpads..

Catachans: Faces are just awfull, arms to... but I guess I didnt have to tell that one!

So my collection:

The base is Mordian infantry platoons.

For mechanised/veterans I use Steel legion.

Penal legion: Delaque gangers

Conscripts: Tallarn

Old ratling snipers..

Rough riders: Tallarn

Planned: Priests/Redemptionist gangers, Psyker battle squads/Sanctioned psykers

The army takes inspiration from the German WWII North African (Dessert) Army for colourscheme etc.

Hey, I even started a mordian Facebook group for thoose interested in showing of their models/battles!!

Rangerrob
08-03-2009, 02:29 PM
I run an all metal Guard force. Loosely based on the Bernard Cornwell's 95th Rifles. All the Mordians are in the Green jackets of the 95th, all other non-Mordians in the army are in traditional redcoats w/ white pants of a british trooper in the Napoleonic era.

It is a themed army. I only take Veteran squads as troops, with as many sniper rifles as possible. Still have to find a suitable model to represent Sharpe, and Harper. I have "Pask" painted up in a Leman Russ, but I call him Hornblower.

I had this army on the shelf, in primer for over 15 years. The new Guard book got me painting, started in March, and finished up all that I had a couple weeks ago.

You can see all the entire journey at....

Mordian95thRifles.blogspot.com (http://Mordian95thRifles.blogspot.com)

crazyredpraetorian
08-03-2009, 02:51 PM
All desert raider force (odd considering the name right?) I use origional stormtroopers for the command HQ and 2x platoons of 3x squads of raiders. For my veteran squads I use House Escher models and the conscripts are cadain / catachan plastic hybrids in bright orange jump suits...

GW did a special Ash Wastes army years ago(99 or 00). It was Mail Order only. This model may be from that, but I'm not positive.

Drunkencorgimaster
08-03-2009, 05:45 PM
Hi everyone!

Nice thread, Ill start off with some reasons to collect metal IG and then move on to my collection:

Plastic Cadians are to big for my taste, with a size comparison with space marines they are almos comparable!!
Then there are som inherent limitations of multicomponent plastics: The arms cannot be tucked in, giving the models a to big 3D volume. Ad to that the huge helmets, shoulderpads..

Catachans: Faces are just awfull, arms to... but I guess I didnt have to tell that one!

So my collection:

The base is Mordian infantry platoons.

For mechanised/veterans I use Steel legion.

Penal legion: Delaque gangers

Conscripts: Tallarn

Old ratling snipers..

Rough riders: Tallarn

Planned: Priests/Redemptionist gangers, Psyker battle squads/Sanctioned psykers

The army takes inspiration from the German WWII North African (Dessert) Army for colourscheme etc.

Hey, I even started a mordian Facebook group for thoose interested in showing of their models/battles!!
-See, scale creep! That is what I'm on about!

Drunkencorgimaster
08-03-2009, 10:32 PM

You don't have to use snowbases. Check out the beautiful Valhallans on the BoLS Pic-of-the-Day today (8/3/09). Wow, those are nice! Hint, hint, wink, wink...

Majorcrash
08-04-2009, 11:12 AM
I myself have my first love Valhallans mixed with a select few steel legions, called the 22nd Motorized. as often as I see some I buy them, collected over 400+ so far. but I also have a 200+ plastic cadians (216th Selarik Drop Regiment) mixed with some OLD 2nd ed IG lead figs. These form my vet squads.

RocketRollRebel
08-04-2009, 11:24 AM
I picked up the Vostroyan platoon box as my first purchase because I liked the historical look of the minis and decided that I wanted to play imperial guard. 3 years down the road I will praise and loath my all metal guardsmen! At the time I didnt realize that plastic minis would be much cheaper but cadians didnt excite me that much anyway. So my wallet cries when I think of how much I've invested into them but at the same time they always get noticed when I take them out to a tournament or a gaming store out of town.

I love old minis tho, not because the sculpts are better or anything (I think GW has done a great job lately with minis) but just for the character that they have. I love seeing old school guard armies and old EC armies hit the table.

JuiceSpringsteen!
08-04-2009, 07:13 PM
I run a Penal Legion which is comprised of mainly new cadians, but has classic models from most of the old regiments interspersed amongst the squads (the idea is that once assigned to the unit, they are required to dye thier uniforms orange upon joing the legion). I also use my many necromunda gangs (going on 4 now) as penal legion troopers.

Norseman
08-13-2009, 09:08 AM
Norseman, have you tried Bob Smith Indutries Glue? They make an odoress/vaporless glue that may help you out. A friend of mine has chronic allergies and asthma and it worked real well for him. Here is a link to their site http://www.bsi-inc.com/ . Quite a few hobby stores carry their brand. Hobby Town comes to mind.

Thanks for the heads up i will try this glue out... anything to get away from the 3 days of recovery after a marathon gluing session.

Norseman
08-13-2009, 09:18 AM

Can't see the pics as most photo hosting sites are blocked here at work.

There are two sets of Ash Waste Nomads... The newer and the VERY old

New
http://www.collecting-citadel-miniatures.com/wiki/index.php/Necromunda_1999_onwards_-_Collectors_Guide

Old
http://www.collecting-citadel-miniatures.com/wiki/index.php/Necromunda_First_Releases_(Confrontation)_-_Collectors_Guide

Both are pretty hard to get a hold of.