PDA

View Full Version : Tisias-master of the raven guard

eddtheman
02-03-2010, 07:09 PM
I've decided to work on a new homebrew codex for the Raven Guard, who have next to no fluff despite being first founding. Im starting with Special Characters, first off. . . . Tisias, Chapter Master of the Raven Guard

Tisias-Master of the Raven Guard
Points- 250
Ws:6 BS:5 S:4(5) T:4 W:4 I:5 A:4 Ld:10 Sv:2+4++

Wargear
Kakou and Korakos
Frag and Krak grenades
Jump Pack
Iron Halo
Armor of the Raven

Special Rules
Eternal Warrior
ATSKNF
Chapter Tactics
Pinpoint Accuracy
Orbital Bombardment

Kakou and Korakos- These legendary blades were weilded by Corax during the Great Crusade. These are a pair of Master Crafted Power Swords that add +1 to the bearers strength.
Armor of the Raven-The Armor of the Raven is an intricate suit of artificier armor that emits signals that allow jump infantry to lock on to thir commanders position, even during the descent. This counts as a locator beacon for Jump Packed equipped troops, and works even in the turn Tisias deep strikes.
Pinpoint Accuracy- Tisias has been leading the Raven Guard for centuries, and is a master of jumping straight into combat. Tisias and his Honor Guard may Heroic Intervention, and only rolls 1d6 for scatter.
Chapter Tactics- All power armor and carapace armor units in a Raven Guard army have the Fleet USR. In addition, Tactical Squads and Stalker Veteran Squads may infiltrate.
Orbital Bombardment- per C:SM

Comments and criticism welcome

Cryl
02-04-2010, 03:42 AM
I assume the chapter tactics he gets gives the army fleet like Captain Shrike does?

I'm not all that sure about 1D6 scatter on a heroic intervention, it seems a little too likely that he'll be in range to assault. You don't say if the ability applies to units he's with or not, the Vanguard version mentions that it isn't useable if an IC joins them but this way round needs clarifying. If it does apply to his squad then he needs to be more points or at the very least have a 2D6 scatter, if not then I'm not sure it's all that good as he can't join a Vanguard squad and drop in (their rule prohibits it) so he's always solo. Other than that he seems pretty sensible and not stupidly overpowered like you see sometimes with these character rulesets

Master Bryss
02-04-2010, 07:58 AM
I really like it, although a couple of things:

Why doesn't he have Orbital Bombardment like all other Chapter Masters?

For Pinpoint Accuracy, it might be a little easier for him to assault if you make this work the same as a Drop Pod's Inertial Guidnance.

As Cryl said, remind everyone just what his Chapter Tactics do.

Also, your stat format is a little hard to read because the numbers lag behind the stats. The most clear way, as I recently discovered, is to do this:

WS:6, BS:5, S:4(5), T:4, W:4, I:5, A:4, Ld:1, Sv:2+, Inv Sv:4+

Also note I've added the bonus from the swords to the stats, in case players forget their bonus.

As well as this, it might be fun to give him the option of taking Honour Guard with Jump Packs, for say, 15 points a head?

Atrotos
02-04-2010, 08:32 AM
Firstly: What Master Bryss said.

Secondly: The Locator Beacon rule is a good first step to making assault marine armies more viable, I like it a lot. I think his special Heroic Intervention should extend to his Vanguard/Command squad but you could balance this by limiting his ability to come in from reserve. Perhaps he comes in automatically on turn 4?

Thirdly: You may not be aware of this but Forgeworld is going to feature the Raven Guard in their next Imperial Armour set to come out this spring.

Master Bryss
(Noob question deleted by order of the Inqui... naah I just remembered the defenition of monospaced. My apologies)

Madness
Either that or use a monospaced font.

Ws Bs S T W I A Ld Sv
6 5 4 4 4 5 4 10 2+ 4++

eddtheman
02-04-2010, 12:31 PM
@ Cyrl and Master Bryss- I wanted to make it so that he could still assault, but ran the risk of mishaping. Internal Guidance would make him to OP, considering he could land wherever he wanted and still assault. The 1D6 makes hime more precise (as a chapter master should, IMO), but he still has to remain within 6 inches to assault, and still runs the risk of falling on the enemy. Unfortunetaly, heroic intervention is a very fiddly rule. When it works, it is devestating, but when it fails, the expensive unit dies.

I want to make a full homebrew codex over the next few weeks, as time permits. Command squads and Honor Guard squads will both be able to buy Jump Packs.

Made some changes, is there anything else?

Master Bryss
02-04-2010, 01:05 PM
On Chapter Tactics:

Much applause. You've done what GW have failed to do and not let Termies have Fleet! It's much better the way you wrote it.

Although shouldn't Scouts get Fleet too as they're more lightly armoured than Marines?

Madness
02-04-2010, 03:39 PM
You're better off listing the type of units that can get fleet, I doubt you mean for devastators to have fleet too.

eddtheman
02-04-2010, 03:39 PM
Thank you. I try to stay close to the fluff, and always had a problem with fleeting termies.

Scouts should have fleet I will fix it. Anything else?

eddtheman
02-04-2010, 06:17 PM
Yes, devestators get fleet. In the official combat tactics for Raven guard, even terminators can fleet, so this one is more restrictive, but tacticals can infiltrate.

Madness
02-04-2010, 07:00 PM
Wow, heavy supports with fleet, that's...

eddtheman
02-04-2010, 08:08 PM
devestators cannot charge after shooting, even with fleet. Fleet only allows assaults after a run, which replaces the units shooting. So unless someone has some awesome assault devestators hidden away somewhere, its not really a problem.