PDA

View Full Version : Big Red's Collection RE: Guard Rescue Units

Black Templar
08-03-2009, 08:28 PM
Big Red,

Retired US Coast Guard here. We need to talk about your paint scheme and plans. Sounds like a sweet idea to me but our colors are Orange, not Red ;) I can fill you in on all the nitty-gritty including uniforms, shoot me an e-mail or PM.

Bigred
08-03-2009, 10:13 PM
Hey Black Templar,

Oh its pretty much spot on Coast Guard Orange. I did a lot of color matching to get as close as possible. The red you saw was just the overexposed video. I'll put up some finished pics with my SLR to show the exact colors.

crazyredpraetorian
08-04-2009, 12:39 AM
Yep, they definitely orange. Very orange. :D

Black Templar
08-04-2009, 08:51 AM
Oh excellent! For reference, our rescue helicopters have always used a "broken" scheme (orange nose/tail, white fuselage with normal orange/blue stripe on the body somewhere). The Dauphine's (the all-orange ones that whine) were the first to break that pattern. As for boats, the rescue craft tend to be entirely orange with either a white nose stripe or no striping, also they have white (reflective) lettering. Ships are white except the 47' MLB (the one that can self-right) which is a grey painted steel/aluminum with the traditional orange/blue stripe. "Red hull" ships do ice-breaking and "black hulls" do Aids to Navigation work.

For uniforms, our "rescue" outfits are black from the chest down. From the chest up they are orange, including helmets. Webbing, gun belts, etc are always black. All lettering / markings are in white (reflective). The "normal" uniforms (ODU's, a form of BDU's) are all dark blue, no camo. Black boots and accessories. Covers (that's hats for the civvies) are a very dark blue (not black) with yellow lettering.

Vehicles gets weird. We get whatever color GSA gives us and we don't have a set scheme or lettering setup. I think orange tanks with a white turret works, but you need to add the stripe/slash on the front sides of the hull. Maybe doing the stripe in white on the hull with the traditional orange/blue smaller on the turret would look good. Factoid: the stripe is 67*.

Asymmetrical Xeno
08-04-2009, 09:49 AM
Sounds cool..reminds me of the aquatic IG I want to do (with hovercraft tanks and diving suits ect).

Drunkencorgimaster
08-04-2009, 03:37 PM
Which figure will represent Kevin Costner and which one will be Aston Kutcher? I vote Guant for Costner and a Tau etherial for Demi's boytoy.