PDA

View Full Version : 40K MMORPG coming soon?

Melissia
02-04-2010, 09:50 PM
http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=5012

Someone's posted this already, hehe. But yeah, it's cool to finally hear somethig.

The Hive Mind
02-04-2010, 09:50 PM
For those of you who like your 40k sprinkled with a dash of "digital" check this link out...

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6249498.html?tag=latestheadlines;title;6

THQ is giving us a first look at this years Electronic Entertainment Expo in June

Xas
02-05-2010, 04:40 AM
as much as I would love a MMO for 40k I really doubt it can be done well just as of now.

The universe is far too hughe and while I like the simplicisest system of STO I only like it cause I'm not that of a fan but just a "consumer". Seeing 40k reduced that far would hurt my hearth.

If I had to take a try I'd do a combination of a shooter on the ground (levels would unlock new abilities which include passive stat boosts, weapon & armor training as well as active abilities) and space flight similar to the X-Series but also with a fledged out interiour of your ship and bridge (especially for the capital siced ships).

If thinking it trough I'd prolly leave out space combat at the start as this is something done/experienced only by very special characters (usually only ship captains and even the space marine one's rarely see ground battle) and so a scripted/more passive role of the player would be more appropriat and easier to do.

also charachter evolution would be an important factor as I would hate space marines be a common thing.

My ideas would be for a total of about 50 to 100 lvls at start and alltogether 5 increases in rank troughout this (evvery 10-20lvls).

You would start as something like a civilian, fresh recruit, hive ganger, ...
each of these starter classes would have a "native" evolution for the next rank but also ways to turn into any other.

for instance the civilian could normally advance in rank to be field recruited into the militia and on rank 3 be merged with the normal "soldier" carrier. he could also find himself be entangled in politics and urged to flee and join a powerfull gang to hide from the authorities.

all of them would on the higer tiers (~middle) be able to be recruited for space marine scouthood (this could be a reward for best PvP as space marines usually only pick outstanding individuals from non-recruiting worlds) and from there advance the ranks. another possible non-linear class would be with the adeptus mechanicus and the inquisition.

you see too much for one mmo to deliver :(

pgarfunkle
02-12-2010, 07:17 AM
I'd love to see what the devs can come up with but like Xas I have my doubts that it will meet expectations or wants. I remain hopeful however.

Duke
02-12-2010, 10:27 AM
Just to let you guys know there is a thread on this existing already. It is in the video games lounge... FYI

That said. I think a 40k MMO could be great! I think something similar to Mass Effect 2 + Lineage 2.

What I don't want to see:
- WoW in space! I don't want a fight to be running in the open casting powers in a particular order...

What I want to see:
I want cover to matter and firefights that use some kind of squad level tactics... Something like added damamge bonuses if you 'outflank,' an enemy in cover.

Duke

Melissia
02-12-2010, 11:24 AM
Just to let you guys know there is a thread on this existing already. It is in the video games lounge... FYI
Yep, I linked to it in my above post.

Duke
02-12-2010, 11:28 AM
Yea, I just figured nobody reads M posts so I better repost it, LMAO (JK)

Duke