PDA

View Full Version : New X wing player needs advice.

Hunter
11-22-2014, 01:38 PM
In brief i got my hands on a small second X-wing lot.
Atm i have the starter (1 x wing ,2 tie) , imperial aces ( 2 tie interceptors) an other X-wing, a B-wing and a tie phantom

so what would you recommend i invest in next and what kind of build would you recommend ?
I was thinking of getting rebel aces next week.

the other problem is it's next to impossible to get wave 1 locally and resources up here in Canada are a little spartan.
so any suggestions or any online store recommendations ?

Mr Mystery
11-22-2014, 03:15 PM
Are you looking at going Rebel, Imperial or both?

Hunter
11-22-2014, 03:24 PM
probebly both atm , i can afford to build a competitive build in both faction.

pgarfunkle
11-23-2014, 06:47 AM
The standard answer seems to be another core set as that will get you another x wing and 2 more ties which can help you on your way to a full or mini swarm for the imperials. The mini swarm complements the tie phantom nicely and is currently a popular choice as it gives you a hard hitting highly mobile ship to complement your ties. If you do go swarm as an imperial you may wish to pick up a tie fighter expansion for howlrunner as she improves the swarms attack significantly (not vital if it's currently hard to come by where you are).

The firespray is a nice ship for the imperials as it is tough and can be upgraded in a number of ways, my fav is Krassis with a heavy laser cannon. The decimator sounds like it will be popular for the imperials too as it is their 1st turret ship.

Rebel aces you are already considering is excellent for the rebels as it comes with some fun unique pilots for both ships and upgrades that make the awings far more playable.

The hawk is a great little support ship with the unique pilots providing ways to boost attacks for that vital shot, pass focus around or increase PS for taking on phantoms. Headhunters are great little filler ships for rebel squads.

Brenlak
11-23-2014, 06:38 PM
pgarfunkle has the right idea, everyone seems to agree a second boxed set is good just to get the extra ships for cheap (And I like the extra movement thingies too, one set for each side of the table).

Sounds like you already have yourself talked into the Rebel Aces, I think its a good choice I don't know what prices are like out east but here in Alberta its a couple dollars more than getting a B-Wing and A-Wing (Though you will probably want to pick some up later for the pilots and that Blaster cannon.). I haven't played enough to recommend any good builds, they will come to you with experience (I personally love swarms of things), so just get what you like!

Wave One stuff has been popping up in the local stores here (YT-1300 and Firespray in particular) so hopefully they are popping up there too. I don't buy a lot of stuff online but if you look through the forum there are a bunch recommended by several people. Maybe I will look if I'm not feeling to lazy!

hollywoodhogle
11-23-2014, 10:36 PM
Check out miniaturemarket.com I think they have the best prices and really quick shipping. eBay can be good as well.

Hunter
11-24-2014, 11:33 AM
thank you for your input.

I wasn't considering getting a Tie blister but knowing now it comes with different cards , am putting it on my to buy list.

what i should have ask earlier is what kits provide the best,most competitive upgrades.
Question does the single X wing have good cards ?

now getting a second starter is a strong possibility , an other is the possibility of trading with a friend who's planing on getting his own starter , buying him a ship of his choice for the 2 ties and pilot cards , he keeps all the upgrade cards.

there is a strong possibility that am going to be mostly imperial centric as most of my friends are going Rebel Scum .

now to answer most of your questions , the starter is 40$ rebel aces is about 35$ and individual ships are 25$

i have found a couple of online store with in canada and some do have the rarer ships but no falcon or slave 1, with shipping and customs , ordering in country is a little affordable
that and the sellers on ebay are insane
note
miniaturemarket.com does have insanely good prices but there out of stock of the ships i want

White Tiger88
11-24-2014, 02:29 PM
As a fellow Canadian. I am selling my x-wing stuff so if you are interested let me know I have all imperial ships with some doubles and 2 imperial aces sets. Will take money or trade for tyranids/high elfs

Brenlak
11-25-2014, 12:05 AM
now to answer most of your questions , the starter is 40$ rebel aces is about 35$ and individual ships are 25$

Dude that's almost robbery!!! Around here the starter is $45 on average yeah sounds about right for Rebel |Aces, but $25 for a TIE-Fighter? Insane!! The most I pay at the expensive store is $20, at the cheap (yet always low stocked...) store ships go for $16, and no PST or HST!

As a fellow Canadian. I am selling my x-wing stuff so if you are interested let me know I have all imperial ships with some doubles and 2 imperial aces sets. Will take money or trade for tyranids/high elfs

I got some X-Wing stuff from ksoh75 from this site, it was a great experience, and they came from WKRP so listen to this guy!!

what i should have ask earlier is what kits provide the best,most competitive upgrades.

I'm a Competist so to ask me which are good cards is no problem, I have them all! If you are a Completist too, (also known as the one man gaming group): then it's worthwhile to know that most individual ships come with 4 pilots (TIE-Fighter and X-Wing comes with 6) and 2 cardboard pieces for the mini. To be able to use every combination you will need 2 of each ship (3 of the TIE-Fighter and X-Wing, since they are double sided).

I usually preach shopping at you FLGS, but at those prices the words get stuck in my throat, and shortages are always worse for Imperial Heroes. A Rebel Scum player will be all like "yep im getting a B-Wing" an Imperial player is all like "yep I'm getting 3 TIE-Interceptors" so we are already at a deficit.

Houghten
11-25-2014, 03:16 AM

Yes. Yes, it does. You've got Wedge Antilles, whose pilot skill is even higher than Luke's and whose ability reduces the defender's evade dice; you've got Garven Dreis, who gets double value out of focus tokens by passing it on to a nearby ship when he spends it; you've got the R5 Astromech, a really cheap upgrade who flips Ship damage cards face-down; and you've got R5-K6, who can potentially maintain a Target Lock indefinitely. Expert Handling isn't unique to the pack (it also comes in the TIE Advanced) but it's also pretty useful, letting you barrel roll to shake target locks (even if you don't have the barrel roll action, though it then costs you a stress token). The other cards, you already have.

most individual ships come with 4 pilots (TIE-Fighter and X-Wing comes with 6)

Eh? The X-Wing has 4 pilots. Unless you're counting the ones in the core set, but in that case the TIE fighter has 9.

alshrive
11-25-2014, 03:19 AM
I think what Brenlak meant was that each expansion tends to have 4 pilot cards. For example, in the Tie Phantom you get Whisper, Echo, Sigma Squadron and Shadow Squadron pilots. In the B-Wing you get Ten Numb, Ibitsam, Dagger Squadron and Blue Squadron.

That's just how I read it though

Houghten
11-25-2014, 03:24 AM
That's how I read it too, but the X-Wing expansion pack only has 4 pilot cards, not 6. Wedge, Garven, Red Squadron, Rookie.

alshrive
11-25-2014, 03:33 AM
That's true, perhaps it was just a genuine mistake

Brenlak
11-26-2014, 09:57 PM
Okay my bad, X-Wing must only come with 4 pilot cards, but if you want a real X-Wing Hootenanny the Rebel Transport comes with another bunch of them!(Pilots, not ships that is, though it comes with an X-Wing) and FF was classy enough to put the 4 named pilots on separate cards with doubles of the 2 regular pilots on the reverse side.

Uuuuh, not sure if that helps you, Hunter...