PDA

View Full Version : Play-By-Post Take Two, Recruitagain!

ElectricPaladin
11-23-2014, 08:05 PM
I am tentatively considering trying this again.

Please post if you would be interested in a play-by-post Dark Heresy game. The following limitations will apply:

Although I haven't decided on it yet, there will be a theme and you will have to make characters to fit it.
Unlike last time, this will be a Dark Heresy game, not an open 40k RP. I expect mortal characters and (at least initially... :D) loyal Imperials. I don't know any of you well enough as roleplayers to decide if I want to let any of you play a Deathwatch marine or Grey Knight, so it's not gonna happen. Maybe next time.
Instead of the standard rules set, we will be using this (https://fate40k.obsidianportal.com/wikis/main-page), which is a variant of FATE. The FATE core is all you need. Barring that, you could easily leave the mechanical side of your character up to me, though it will slow down play somewhat.
I am interested in a largely player-driven story. So, for example, we will work together to use a variant of the Dresden Files system to create the sector. I will sometimes tell players that their information gathering-type rolls give them the option to decide what their characters discover, rather than me telling them what's so, and we will all roll with it.
In the same vein, there will be no secrets. I'll start an OOC thread, and all OOC conversations will happen in public, there. We will all be adults, keep IC and OOC information separate, and use the thread to "play into" cool things. For example, if your character is about to be betrayed, don't run from it. Embrace it! Run towards it. It will be awesome - I promise.
This is a grimdark world. Bad things will happen. Characters will die. I promise you that no ones death will be entirely in vain, and everyone will get at least one awesome last scene and final blow against Chaos (or the Imperium, if that's how you end up swinging).
We will start with five players. I may add more as time goes on.
At least one player must be willing to run the next game. Possibly even the next chapter of this game, if everyone else would like to continue. With the caveat that I get to play in said game :D.
The commitment is to check the IC thread and OOC thread at least once per day, with allowances for the occasional missed day in case you're swamped at work or someone dies or something. But once per day remains the minimum expectation that we will all try to keep to.

Post here with questions or "I'm in!"

Wolfshade
11-24-2014, 06:19 AM
I'm in

-Though as before I have never done anything like this before so be gentle it's my first time.

Psychosplodge
11-24-2014, 06:38 AM
Go on I'll give it a try, though same.

AirHorse
11-24-2014, 12:26 PM
Oooo!! I'm definitely in, I noticed you were back on the boards and wondered if you would have another go at starting this up :D.

Looking forward to it!!

(Edit: Also, Welcome back EP!!)

ElectricPaladin
11-24-2014, 02:22 PM
Sweet! This is shaping up nicely. I can roll with three to start with, thought at least one more would be even better.

Morgrim
11-25-2014, 08:18 AM
I've fiddled with Diaspora but that's my only FATE experience. I've played Rogue Trader with several Dark Heresy characters and lots of stuff from the DH expansions over Skype, so that was without maps and mostly describing actions. How vastly different would your format be? I've only ever played psykers and navigators before, and they're at little... ah, different to most characters.

ElectricPaladin
11-25-2014, 09:40 AM
Basically, we are playing via post rather than meeting up on Skype, so you try to stretch your post out as long as you can. It goes very slowly, but consistently. There will be an IC thread for posts and an OOC thread for discussion, dice rolls, and such, and links bewteen the two.

ElectricPaladin
11-29-2014, 07:29 PM
I'm going to give it until Monday, then we're going to start with the dudes we've got. Perhaps we'll attract more players later. On Monday we will begin to work together to create our sector.

ElectricPaladin
12-02-2014, 01:12 AM
Ok, folks. You are my players (at least until we get to a point where we want to add more). Morgrim, AirHorse, Wolfshade, and Psychosplodge - watch this space for details! Come ready to brainstorm, swap ideas, and riff off some random stuff the dice and cards chose to give us!

Wolfshade
12-02-2014, 02:48 AM
I am excite

ElectricPaladin
12-03-2014, 12:45 AM
Hey, everyone - I have bad news and I have good news.

The bad news is that it's gotten rather late and I probably won't be able to begin the sector creation process tonight as originally promised :(

The good news is that I had my post-observation briefing with my principal today, and I passed with flying colors :D! Seriously... of all the points I was being assessed on, I met or exceeded standards on all of them, except for two, one of which my principal said he was sure I was doing from the general context but didn't actually observe (and thus couldn't properly sign off on) and another which nobody manages to show in observation, because it's got to do with how you interact with the family. Two "not observeds" are well within the bounds of passing, so... my assessment is done for the year!

At the risk of TMIing you all - ah, what the heck, you were all there for it - last year went completely insane starting about now, when I had my first round of observations, and I bombed. From there, it was a sharp descent into an endless round of late nights, hard work, rewritten lesson plans, and insane stress.

The funny thing is, while I learned a lot about where my teacher game was weak, I'm not really doing a lot different this year. Some of the bits and pieces are different, but the basic ideas are the same. I guess some principals just don't know how to appreciate quality teaching when they see it... :rolleyes

Anyway, the point is that I'm confident that this year is not going to be a disaster. I might get reassigned or laid off - that's inevitable in my line of work - but I know I won't be worked to death and then run out of line on a rail.

So this time, there will be no mysterious disappearances...

Wolfshade
12-03-2014, 03:54 AM
Yay! It sounds like the system works.

Psychosplodge
12-03-2014, 03:58 AM
Congrats! Sounds more like an assessor issue...

AirHorse
12-03-2014, 09:17 AM
Nice work EP! Milestones like that are always stressful, but its great to know that you've passed them :). Roll on the next year!

Also, looking forward to some RP :P

ElectricPaladin
12-03-2014, 10:16 AM
Congrats! Sounds more like an assessor issue...

Well, my wife has sworn eternal vengeance and is convinced that the man is either malicious, incompetent, or both...

DrLove42
12-03-2014, 01:08 PM
Is it toolate to get in on this?

I have played DH before so have some knowldge!

ElectricPaladin
12-03-2014, 01:50 PM
Is it toolate to get in on this?

I have played DH before so have some knowldge!

Eh... what the heck. You can join in!

ElectricPaladin
12-03-2014, 10:35 PM
SON OF A ****ING...

ARGH!

I just rolled up ten ****ing planets and the ****ing... BLAGH!!!

I hate computers.

I'll try again later.

Sorry folks. Stupid software...

DrLove42
12-04-2014, 01:48 AM
Yay!

Ive not used this system...or done play by post ao might be a little slow. Anything that can do in advance?

ElectricPaladin
12-04-2014, 08:48 AM
Yay!

Ive not used this system...or done play by post ao might be a little slow. Anything that can do in advance?

Nope. We need to create the setting first, and then characters will come out of the setting. You'll see. It'll be fun. As soon as I store up the nerve to try again... stupid computers...

ElectricPaladin
12-04-2014, 11:19 AM
Ok, everyone. I can't make the planets right now, but I can give you an idea of how it's going to work.

The three main tools of this process are a deck of FATE cards and an ordinary d10. Using these tools, I will give every location an Environment (how habitable is the planet), a Tech Level (how developed is the planet), an Integrity (how firm is Imperial control?) and an Extra (what's special about this place?). These traits will be further focused by the little inspirational blurbs on the FATE cards. I will make 10 planets, each of them the main planet in its system, which will form the basis of the subsector. We might introduce additional planets, or add planets to existing systems as needed, later.

Based on what the cards and dice give it, we will begin to brainstorm Themes, Threats, Faces, and Locations for each planet. Themes represent chronic problems or the challenging facts about life in this place, Threats are relatively recent "acute" problems, Faces are interesting people who might live there, and Locations are interesting places, either physical (ie. a neighborhood in the hive, a ruin) or conceptual (a trade guild, a criminal syndicate).

After we're done with the planet creation process, you will look at what we've created and start to make characters. You might be inspired by a Location (to make someone from or related to that location) a Face (you might chose to play a Face, or someone connected to him/her), or even a Threat or Theme. Or anything else.

Then we'll work to connect your characters and begin deciding on their Aspects and traits...

While it's ok to start having ideas about what kind of character you'd like to play, don't get carried away! We have a lot to do before we're ready to make characters.

ElectricPaladin
12-08-2014, 01:56 AM
*Sigh* The trouble is not that my life is very stressful right now - like I wrote, I just passed my assessment with flying colors - it's just that some of the process of getting this party started takes SO DAMN LONG I have so little time...

Luckily, my wife will be hanging out a friend Monday night, and I have nothing better to do. So... watch this space. Tonight's the night! Etcetera.

Wolfshade
12-08-2014, 03:26 AM
Good luck EP :)

Psychosplodge
12-08-2014, 04:53 AM
You'll get there!

AirHorse
12-08-2014, 05:16 AM
Good luck, waiting with anticipation!(But equally no pressure!!!)

DrLove42
12-08-2014, 11:45 AM
Good luck!

Sounds likea good system. How close to the DH book will it be or is the Inquisitors Band just for a loose setting?

If no one minds, i would like to be a Techpriest...

ElectricPaladin
12-08-2014, 11:57 AM
Good luck!

Sounds likea good system. How close to the DH book will it be or is the Inquisitors Band just for a loose setting?

Well...

I plan to hew pretty close to the themes of Dark Heresy, but FATE gives us a little more freedom. So, whether we have an independent warband of a distant and nigh-omnipotent inquisitor, a situation like Ravenor where your inquisitor is in system but prefers to hang back and direct you from afar, or a situation like Eisenhorn where your inquisitor is down in the muck with you, kicking *** and taking names, depends on the sector.

Don't get your heart set until we've started to create the sector, but I see no reason you couldn't be a tech-priest.

ElectricPaladin
12-17-2014, 11:03 PM
Here it goes again!

Planet 1
• Environment: +2, Garden, "A Solid Blow"
• Tech Level: -3, Minimist, "No Way Out"
• Integrity: +0, Heresy Suppressed, "Can't Do Much About It"
• Extras: Unique Culture [+1 Aspect on the populace related to their culture]

The way I see it, this should be a feral world maintained as the homeworld of an Astartes chapter! It was terraformed by the powerful techniques of the Dark Age of Technology ("A Solid Blow"), but the low tech level is artificially maintained by the Space Marines, who like the planet just the way it is ("No Way Out"). I think the "suppressed" heresy reflects the strange beliefs of the populace (their Unique Culture), which plays into whatever cultural elements make this chapter unique (and the Inquisition "Can't Do Much About It" because they aren't yet prepared to piss off a chapter of Space Marines). But, as a result of their deviant culture, this is one of the less trusted chapters...

• Themes: The Strange Ways of the Astartes, A Tempting Target
• Threats: ???
• Faces: The Chapter Master, various other Astartes
• Locations: The Fortress Monastary, other locations of ritual import

Planet 2
• Environment: -3, Death World, "Betrayed"
• Tech Level: +0, Civilized World, "Could Be Worse"
• Integrity: -3, Xenos World, "Just Plain Cursed"
• Extras: Famous Event [+1 Aspect on a subgroup of the population]

Hear me out here - I think this world is controlled by the Dark Eldar. They tricked some humans into settling there, but when the humans realized that the world was uninhabitable, there was no where to flee but into the Webway, where the Dark Eldar were happy to enslave the populace. However, due to the Famous Event, the humans aren't actually treated so badly. Maybe a particularly cunning human leader was able to trick the Dark Eldar into making some kind of deal (and then forcing them to keep their promise) so that the humans and their descendants are still honored servants rather than chattle for the arena or spare parts for the Haemonculi. Unfortunately, generations later, the humans have come to admire and emulate their Eldar masters, which amuses the Dark Eldar to now end.

• Themes: Another Day In Pandemonium, Keeping the Masters Happy
• Faces: The local Dark Eldar Whatsit, the Leader of the Humans, the Human who acts as emissary to the Imperium
• Locations: ???

Planet 3
• Environment: -1, Hostile, "Out of Breath"
• Tech Level: -2, Primitive, "Cornered"
• Integrity: +2, Peerless Loyalty, "In Control"
• Extras: Famous Event [+1 Aspect on a subgroup of the population]

Clearly, this is a world with an only barely breathable atmosphere where the population must make do with primitive gas masks to survive. However, it is completely faithful to the Imperium. Maybe it's a major recruiting world for the Militarum?

• Themes: Breathless
• Threats: Degenerating Atmosphere
• Faces: Tribal chieftain/planetary governor

Planet 4
• Environment: -1, Hostile, "Uninspired"
• Tech Level: -1, Frontier "Flimsy"
• Integrity: +1, Inquisitorial Vindication, "Experience Pays Dividends"
• Extras: Unique Culture [+1 Aspect on the populace related to their culture]

This is the first true Imperial stronghold world. I think that it's just a drab, grey place to live where the terraforming is crumbling, but not too quickly ("Uninspired"). The tech level is flimsy because they are still recovering from the devastation wrought by the events of their Inquisitorial Vindication (that is, some heresy was uncovered, but defeated). Not sure what the culture is.

• Themes: Decaying Environment
• Faces: ???

Planet 5
• Environment: -2, Hazard, "Broken"
• Tech Level: -1, Frontier, "A Moment of Weakness"
• Integrity: +0, Heresy Suppressed, "Status Quo"
• Extras: Technological Focus [+1 Aspect related to acquiring a kind of technology]

This planet is, I think, less completely undeveloped and more sporadically developed. There are a few hives, but vast wildernesses stretch out between them. The planet is known for manufacturing something important to Imperium, and I think it's that manufacturing process that has "Broken" it's ecosystem. There's some kind of annoyingly tenacious tech-heresy here, but the problem has been creaking along for years and the planet shows no signs of falling entirely to Chaos, so no one has done anything about it.

• Themes: The Tech-Cult... Again?
• Faces: Local tech-priests
• Locations: The Massive Manufactorum

Planet 6
• Environment: -2, Hazard, "Exposed"
• Tech Level: +1, Production Planet, "Position of Strength"
• Integrity: +2, Peerless Loyalty, "Right Up Your Alley"
• Extras: Planetary Landmark [Define a Location related to this landmark]

Hey... what if this wasn't so much a planet as a cluster of asteroids near a white dwarf star that was mined for adamantium? And the "Planetary" Landmark could be the enormous defense platform station that protects it?

• Themes: Life in the Airless Void
• Locations: Aegis Imperator

Planet 7
• Environment: -1, Hostile, "Closed Off"
• Tech Level: +0, Civilized, "Neutral Discovery
• Integrity: +1, Imperial Vindication, "Smart"
• Extras: Special Facility [The planet has access to a special facility of some kind, unique in the sector]

I think this is another "normal" Imperial world. The air is bad enough that everyone has to live in giant domes. Not sure what the facility should be - thoughts?

• Themes: ???

Planet 8
• Environment: +1, Green, "Went With Your Gut"
• Tech Level: -1, Frontier World, "Too Careful"
• Integrity: +1, Inquisitorial Vindication, "Solid Footing"
• Extras: Sibling Rivalry [+1 Aspect related to a rivalry between two factions on this world]

I think this is a farming world, settled a long time ago by ruggedly individualistic settlers. It's the breadbasket of the sector, so the last time the Ordo Hereticus came through, they decided to simply "help" the locals to see how their harvest god was actually just an aspect of the Emperor... but the rivalry between the settlers and the Imperium-imposed governor remains.

• Themes: Old Tensions
• Threats: The Old Ways Rise!

Planet 9
• Environment: +1, Green, "Clever, Clever"
• Tech Level: +0, Civilized, "Push and Pull"
• Integrity: +0, Heresy Suppressed, "Spinning Wheels"
• Extras: Technological Focus [+1 Aspect related to acquiring a certain kind of equipment]

Sounds like another industrial world, but one that has carefully husbanded their resources to avoid becoming a wasteland. What do you think they make?

• Themes: ???

Planet 10
• Environment: -1, Hostile, "Faltering"
• Tech Level: +1, Production Planet "Well Read"
• Integrity: +3, Devout, "Top of the World"
• Extras: Sibling Rivalry [+1 Aspect related to a rivalry between two factions on this world]

And just in time... I think we have our sector capitol. An incredibly devout world with an ancient conflict between the semi-secular authorities and the ecclesiarchy, who also maintain the world's enormous shrine. Maybe it used to be just a shrine world before the sector capitol had to be moved here for some reason?

• Themes: The Two Estates
• Faces: The sector Lord/Lady, the Ecclesiarch

Go ahead... add to my ideas. We'll brainstorm, toss stuff back and forth, and I'll make a new post when we've filled in all the blanks.

Psychosplodge
12-18-2014, 04:00 AM
I like the idea that planet nine grows a plant thats fibres are particularly versatile and frequently used in Guard body armour. Can't imagine much imperial industrial process that doesn't pollute unless there's a necessity that it doesn't.

AirHorse
12-18-2014, 09:57 AM
Sounds cool to me!

An idea for the special facility on planet 7...what if it is the sectors primary Astra Telepathica facility?

Psychosplodge
12-18-2014, 10:03 AM
Its a good reason for restricted access. And obviously theres potential for many factions to abuse that :D

Morgrim
12-18-2014, 10:06 AM
It's hard to think of what kind of threat an individual planet could make against Dark Eldar that would be effective and not result in either the Dark Eldar ruining the place, the Dark Eldar deciding it isn't worth the effort, or the Imperium purging the humans for dealing with xenos.

Masque of Vyle talks about a species of fishpeople giving tribute to a kabal. Maybe this world is the same? It's a Death World so perhaps it has some sort of beast on it that is valuable as ingredients/arena fodder/beastmasters particularly like. Something horrible and vicious. Something that a couple of humans figured out how to catch or tame and turned to their use (the Event). And now the planet gets a level of protection in exchange for providing these creatures. As well as offering their masters any criminals, troublemakers or political dissidents they want to get rid of.

AirHorse
12-18-2014, 10:10 AM
Its a death world, and the Dark Eldar love them some poisons...perhaps its a source for a particularly unpleasant toxin of some kind?

Psychosplodge
12-18-2014, 10:19 AM
More like they're dealing with a handful of dark eldar? rather than any sizeable force?

AirHorse
12-18-2014, 10:40 AM
Maybe a tiny little upstart Kabal who's trying to keep their secret to themselves? I'm sure a bit of Dark Eldar politics can't go amiss in a dark heresy game :D

ElectricPaladin
12-18-2014, 12:24 PM
What if the planet is incredibly toxic, and the Dark Eldar love to harvest its many poisons. In return for a tribute of various local poisons, the Dark Eldar give the humans a serum that makes them sufficiently resistant to the planet that they can survive there? Of course, the serum also does strange things to the humans, which is why the Dark Eldar demand several human slaves as tribute every generation.

But if the thing that is done to the humans by the serum makes them decent gladiators, this could still lead to the human slaves enjoying what they think is relatively decent status in the Dark City. And of course, they prefer the Eldar to the Imperium, who would by now just exterminatus up the whole place and start again.

Oh! And what if the serum also makes the humans dependent upon the poisons to live, so that they can't even leave the planet and try to settle somewhere else...

DrLove42
12-19-2014, 02:17 PM
PLanet 6, the asteroid belt the Hazard could be solar flares and radiation. Unless highly armoured the surface is highly irradiated.

Aenir
12-22-2014, 02:41 AM
Still looking for more players by any chance?

I am familiar with the fate system (Dresden files, anglerre, and starblazers as a player, and using dresden as a base to bring bungies myth world together as a GM)

jeannie
01-04-2017, 06:22 AM
Good luck!

บาคาร่า (https://casino1688-th.net)