PDA

View Full Version : Anyone play with Nid Harpy?

theHman
02-07-2010, 03:53 PM
Has anyone actually used the Harpy in any of your 40k games with your nids?

How'd they do?
What are your thoughts? Are they worth it?

MVBrandt
02-08-2010, 09:17 AM
It's not hard to kill them, so if anyone wants them dead, they can make it happen provided their list is properly built. More to do with T5 4+ than lack of eternal warrior, unless you're going up against Tau obviously.

They need to be "irrelevant" additions to lists that you don't care about living or dying ... the problem is that they aren't all that great at anti-infantry in comparison to similar points values of most other Tyranid units at that role, and they are worthless at meaningful anti-vehicle.

It's important to remember that a transport not shooting doesn't help the nids at all, so even immobilizations don't fix the major issue in the game's underworkings with killing transports in close combat. You need to actually kill the transports, so while Harpies are effective due to speed and range with HVC's at getting side armor shots on transports and the like, they aren't effective at actually killing them, and so they generally fail at an anti-vehicle role.

Overall, I don't like them, and they fail in solid playtest against real/serious opponents, but they aren't totally worthless ... just aren't really worthwhile either.

armbarred
02-08-2010, 09:52 AM
I've taken it a couple of times in games, and I like it. I was discouraged in my first game because of poor placement. But the Twin Linked S9 Heavy Venom Cannon is a lot better than people are giving it credit for I think.

It has wings, so we also allow it to DS. And that can be a pain in rear since it can not have to weather a first turn of fire if you don't want it to.

gcsmith
02-08-2010, 10:57 AM
also The -1 only applies to non opentopped vehicles. Also that means u do get +1 for open topped cus the -1 doesnt apply not that its negated.

theHman
02-09-2010, 08:27 PM
Thanks everyone!

I tried to fit one in on my last game but ran out of points.
Gonna try again for tomorrow night's game.

Dark_Templar
02-09-2010, 08:50 PM
I tried playing with it a few times but a sexual harassment case soon followed...

Extinction Angel
02-10-2010, 02:29 PM
Judge I thought it was it's hand I swear!

The farseer
04-03-2010, 08:47 AM
ive seen one they seem to work alright

Son_of_Osiris
04-03-2010, 10:48 AM
I think the trick with tyranids is to overflow the board with threats that become urgent at the same time for the opponent. Folks get caught up in how flimsy the harpy is, but forget that there will likely be a ton of other things in their face to deal with. Plus a fast moving hvy venom cannon is pretty cool...

I think this guy is gonna be more popular when GW gets a model out for em'

Grimcron
04-03-2010, 10:50 PM
I constantly field 2 in my armylist. They are great. Yes, HVC is not ground breaking weapon but twin linked it is quite reliable at hitting its target. I think the greatest asset is its winged and its a MC afterall. I can catch up with any vehicle and hit it. I can even charge into assault.

A MC that can move 12", assault into melee and shoot at vehicle. The cheapest MC that you can field that does the above.