PDA

View Full Version : That Kroot Deployment Story...

Dark_Templar
02-07-2010, 11:47 PM
Anybody remember that game where a dude deployed his Kroot army (I think it was) and denied the opponent the ability to deploy any troops at all?

I can hardly remember it, and was trying to think of it to explain to a friend.

Any help would be appreciated.

Turbo_MMX
02-08-2010, 12:08 AM
An international tourney, a One guy brought an army based on White Scars (withouth Khan) with bike spam and he played against a Tau player.

The White scars won the initiave and decided to go first and leave everything on reserves. The Tau infiltrated his kroot freely to his enemy deploy zone. Funny stuff came when he told his opponent he couldn't get into the battlefield with ANY unit.

The faces just tell the whole story :D

http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/9987/photo053gnr.th.jpg (http://img198.imageshack.us/i/photo053gnr.jpg/)

This was the original thread i Belive.

http://warhammer.org.uk/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=773826#p773826

Dark_Templar
02-08-2010, 02:02 AM
That's it.

I love that photo btw.

Thanks for the help.

BuFFo
02-08-2010, 04:37 AM
Anybody remember that game where a dude deployed his Kroot army (I think it was) and denied the opponent the ability to deploy any troops at all?

I can hardly remember it, and was trying to think of it to explain to a friend.

Any help would be appreciated.

Yeah, in my local area.

My friend was playing kroot and his opponent was playing drop pod marines. This was back in 4th edition. This was back in 2006.

The Kroot player's entire army was Infiltrating, and he was going first. He had so many models, he covered the entire board. His opponent could not even enter the battlefield with his drop pods and lost.

Pretty awesome to witness once in my life time!

energongoodie
02-08-2010, 06:46 AM
Sorry to be a muppet. Why could the White Scars not deploy from the side table edges when they arive from reserve using outflank? If there is a simple answer to this that I have not recognised then I am sorry and ready for people moaning at me.

BuFFo
02-08-2010, 06:51 AM
Sorry to be a muppet. Why could the White Scars not deploy from the side table edges when they arive from reserve using outflank? If there is a simple answer to this that I have not recognised then I am sorry and ready for people moaning at me.

You can't come within an inch of enemy models during the movement phase.

energongoodie
02-08-2010, 07:25 AM
Looking at that picture, you could enter play from the side edge and finish your move more than an inch away from an enemy model. I understand that you can not pass through the unit, but when coming on from the side edge you would avoid the kroot totally. I'm not trying to be dense. I just don't get it.
I f you had to come on from your table edge, I totally understand. The bikes could not pass through the unit and therefore could not be deployed. But can't he miss the kroot by coming on from the side edge, inches away from them?
Sorry.

Turbo_MMX
02-08-2010, 07:28 AM
The marine player didnt have Khan in his army, and nothing in his list could outflank.

energongoodie
02-08-2010, 08:03 AM
OOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Cheers Turbo MMX. My muppet action was assuming he'd taken Khan! Not sure why I assmued that.
I now love this photo! Genius.

ggg
02-08-2010, 08:42 AM
Every time I see that photo it makes me angry. What an A-hole. Tournament organisers should have the spine not to allow such behaviour. Puerile. Desrves an announcement to the entire hall. This guy is an arse he will do this. Slow hand clap.

Cryl
02-08-2010, 09:39 AM
Part of me thinks this is really clever use of rules and a silly mistake by the marine player, the other part thinks this is an example of something that makes no sense and shouldn't be allowed. At least it was in a tournament and not a friendly game!

Rusty Nail
02-08-2010, 09:50 AM
Every time I see that photo it makes me angry. What an A-hole. Tournament organisers should have the spine not to allow such behaviour. Puerile. Desrves an announcement to the entire hall. This guy is an arse he will do this. Slow hand clap.

Sorry I don't understand the hate, I'd be raging if it was done to me and then after I've calmed down shake the guy by the hand, (if he wasn't being a **** about it), excellent counter to those people who reserve everything.

If someone did it in a pick up game then I could understand being annoyed, but in a Tourney - well done that man!

MarshalAdamar
02-08-2010, 09:53 AM
Amazing! Thats just awesome!

sirrouga
02-08-2010, 12:49 PM
That is just a great "what the..." moment in 40k. Was it extremely cheap? Absolutely, but it is a lesson well learned by both players. If that was a friendly game I would of been absolutely raging but it is a tournament and you have to expect this kind of thing to happen. Also Khan only allows dedicated transports to outflank so even if he was included his bikes still couldn't outflank.

therealjohnny5
02-08-2010, 02:57 PM
see i have to disagree with the rage issues. it's a completely legit, albeit lame way to win a game. i did the exact same thing with my scouts and two d pods in a recent game with my friend. He won initiative, held everything off table as he knew i had a first round assault army, i asked if he was outflanking or DS'ing anything, he said no. I walked over to his side with 20 scouts and two pods, set them up originally with the intention of forcing him to com in on a third of the table where my pods were lined up. but we both realized after the first pod scattered he didn't have enough space to bring his army on field in turn 1 and therefore lost as nothing was held in reserve (it was dawn of war). so i reset my deployment and we did a different game. it's legit. Sucks to lose that way but we both learned a valuable lesson, don't hold everything in reserve or off table when playing against an army with lots of infiltrating units....

Dark_Templar
02-08-2010, 03:12 PM

Sorry, but I have to disagree.

I feel it shows the Tau player thinking outside the box and taking advantage of a situation that arose, whilst the Scars player didn't take into consideration his enemy, not did he seem to pay attention to the army list details pre-game.

I think it is all good and would have love to have been there.

robertsjf
02-08-2010, 03:16 PM
Yeah, I can see why people could get angry if this were something that the other player couldn't counter, but he could. Perfectly well. Next time, deploy something. It's not like the other guy racked up game after game with this strategy...

Lerra
02-08-2010, 05:27 PM
I also don't see why people would get angry. In a casual game, you have a laugh, congratulate the guy, and start another game. You're only out 5 minutes of your time and you have a fun story to tell.

Nabterayl
02-08-2010, 07:35 PM
Sounds like the guy specifically pointed out to his opponent that he had two units of infiltrators, too. That to me says he was being sporting about it ... it's not like the White Scars player had to Reserve everything, and he was put on notice about the danger.

Shas'O D'Narb
02-08-2010, 08:08 PM
The Tau player had an opportunity for a massacre and took it in a large tournament setting. Since the game was obviously short, I wonder if they had a fun game afterwards?

Ko'Vash Tau'Va!

Faultie
02-08-2010, 08:28 PM

Don't be so hard on the Whitescars player. He knew what the mission was, and knew what his enemy's army was, and yet he still deployed as he did, with everything off the board. He doesn't need to be called out to the entire hall, as he's already learned his lesson.

...the other part thinks this is an example of something that makes no sense...
I think it makes plenty of sense. Rules wise, the Whitescars guy can't get on the board.
Fluff wise, I imagine that the Kroot "infiltrated"and ambushed the Whitescars before they ever got to the field. That's what Kroot do.

Such a fantastic picture.