PDA

View Full Version : General Inquiry plz help?

Razorx1970
02-08-2010, 08:02 PM
Ok I got into FOW back when it first came out, and back then I think I picked up about 8 shermans, a few Tigers, and some panzers, of which I can't remember what variety they were, plus the 1st Ed rulebook.

I didn't play much of it, as it was new, and not many players were into it yet. So sold if off, and I don't even remember the mechanics, but do remember I enjoyed what little I did play.

Now, I see there's a new Starter set for about $36 delivered which has a small rule book, 3 Shermans, and 2 german StuG tank killers?

My question is this...

IF I got the starter set (or even should I), would I need the regular 2nd ed rulebook anyway, for the stats for any other pieces I wanted to purchase and increase my armies with?

I don't remember the pieces having cards, or stats, I just remember the main rulebook covering all the stats for all the pieces?

How much or which pieces does the starter rulebook cover, IF any beyond what it includes with the starter?

I was thinking of getting the starter, a few more Shermans, a few more German tanks (suggestions?), and maybe some infantry units.

Does anyone have any solid suggestions for what all I'd need IF I got the new starter, and what else might go well with it?

I'm not looking to blow hundreds either, I was looking to spend bout $100 total, to give my son and I enough pieces to have games a little larger and more involved than the starter alone allows essentially.

Not looking to be tournament ready, or have apocalyptic size armies, just enough to have some fun and compelling size games for two relatively noob players. :D And at present I really had no idea about what I need to USE the pieces I were to buy. I liked the Tigers before, and wouldn't mind making two equal forces with those maybe.

Chappy
02-09-2010, 02:48 PM
I think the starter sets are just to get your feet wet and develop a taste for the game. Your money would better spent purchasing the full rule book along with a specific book for where/when/what you want to play. Then start with a small force.

Bigred
02-09-2010, 03:10 PM
Hey Razor,

The first step is to identify what stuff you have and what time period and nation you want to collect. All the unit stats are in the campaign books and the major ones are:

Late-War: Fortress Europe
Mid-War: Northern Africa or Eastern Front

So pick up whichever of those is of most interest to you, then start to organize your minis into whatever armylist you like the most.

From there you can either get the hardcover rulebook, or the Open Fire boxed set with the minirulebook based on what want more.

Razorx1970
02-10-2010, 09:41 AM
Hey Razor,

The first step is to identify what stuff you have and what time period and nation you want to collect. All the unit stats are in the campaign books and the major ones are:

Late-War: Fortress Europe
Mid-War: Northern Africa or Eastern Front

So pick up whichever of those is of most interest to you, then start to organize your minis into whatever armylist you like the most.

From there you can either get the hardcover rulebook, or the Open Fire boxed set with the minirulebook based on what want more.

Like I said, I wanted to build on what comes with the starter. So what time period are those pieces?

Bigred
02-10-2010, 03:43 PM
Well there are American short barreled Shermans in there, and German StuG Gs .

Your 2 safest choices are either:
Mid-war: North Africa
Late-war: Fortress Europe

Both offer lots of lists that can use both sets of minis. So harsh deserts, or wet Europe is your choice.

Aldramelech
02-10-2010, 05:19 PM
Goodbye