PDA

View Full Version : 1850 Space Marine drop pods - which Chapter?

Inigo_Montoya
12-15-2014, 12:59 PM
So here is the list with ultramarines
Calgar, armour
Tiggy
5 tacticals, melta bombs, drop pod
5 tacticals, plasma, combi plas, melta bombs, drop pod
5 sternguard, 2 x plasma, 3 x combi plas, drop pod
5 sternguard, 2 x melta, 3 x combi melta, drop pod
5 sternguard, 2 x melta, 3 x combi melta, drop pod

Vulkan

Pedro

ElectricPaladin
12-15-2014, 02:04 PM
In the abstract, I'd probably vote Salamanders for all those tasty melta rerolls, but you are not spamming melta here. Therefore, I'd recommend going with the versatility of the Ultramarines. Other possibilities include Iron Hands for 6+ FNP, which increases (in a small way) the likelihood that your drop pod squads won't end up evaporating from your opponent's counterattack.

Also... dude, read your rulebook. Your list is highly illegal. You aren't allowed to cram the special characters from multiple chapters in anymore. If your list is Ultramarines, you can only take Ultramarines special characters. You can't take Vulkan or Pedro.

Inigo_Montoya
12-15-2014, 02:09 PM
In the abstract, I'd probably vote Salamanders for all those tasty melta rerolls, but you are not spamming melta here. Therefore, I'd recommend going with the versatility of the Ultramarines. Other possibilities include Iron Hands for 6+ FNP, which increases (in a small way) the likelihood that your drop pod squads won't end up evaporating from your opponent's counterattack.

Also... dude, read your rulebook. Your list is highly illegal. You aren't allowed to cram the special characters from multiple chapters in anymore. If your list is Ultramarines, you can only take Ultramarines special characters. You can't take Vulkan or Pedro.

Yea I could have defined this a little better I think.
Pedro OR Vulkan OR Calgar - If you choose Vulkan, you drop calgar and tiggy.

40kGamer
12-15-2014, 02:15 PM
With that style of list I would go Ultramarines for the tactics. Being able to reroll misses/ 1s in one shooting phase can be awesome with drop pod plasma spam... and IIRC Calgar lets you pull one tactic 2x per game making it even more tasty in a follow up round.

Haighus
12-15-2014, 05:53 PM
If you are not averse to using (free to download) FW rules, then go Star Phantoms:

Orbital Wave Attack:
Any unit in the detachment arriving via Deep Strike may re-roll any Reserve roll of 1 if its controlling player wishes.

Hail of Destruction:
Once per game, the player may declare the use of this ability and its effects last from the start of the controlling player’s Shooting phase until the start of their next Shooting phase. During this period, all units in the detachment with Chapter Tactics (Star Phantoms) count their Rapid Fire, Assault, Salvo and Heavy Weapons as being twin-linked

Fits perfectly for your entirely reserved army IMO.

Rules available here: http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Downloads/Product/PDF/B/FWchaptertactics-v2.pdf (scroll down).

They have got a special character (Zhrukhal Androcles) but he doesn't add anything to your list in particular and more suits a combined Drop Pod and Devastator list (he allows Devastators to be both an Elites and Heavy Support choice). Despite being the Captain of his Chapter's Devastator company, he actually works quite well being in a Drop Pod himself, being equipped with a Combi-melta.

Katharon
12-16-2014, 02:04 AM
Potentially devastating on turns one and two with alpha strike and subsequent reinforcement landings -- but this list is also very fragile. You *must* think carefully about what targets you go after and stick to those targets, hoping that the dice don't turn against you.

Denzark
12-16-2014, 04:31 AM
Space Wolves. With Ulric in the middle he grants preferred enemy out 6". get enough troops on the ground and unleash hell.

Captain Bubonicus
12-16-2014, 04:20 PM
Space Wolves. With Ulric in the middle he grants preferred enemy out 6". get enough troops on the ground and unleash hell.

Ya - if you've got the points for a single 5-man unit of CC Wolf Guard termies, you can take the Void Claws detatchment. They automatically Deep Strike on Turn 1, and as long as one of them is alive, you can re-roll any reserve rolls.

hyudun
12-16-2014, 11:47 PM
I'd go with Red Scorpions from the Forgeworld options.

1. FNP for all of your Tac Squads
2. You can use Loth, who gets to CHOOSE his psychic powers instead of rolling, can get a 2++, and has Counter-Attack - http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Downloads/Product/PDF/B/badabupdate-v2.pdf
3. Veteran Sergeant Haas (Tac Squad Sgt upgrade), who gives out Relentless to a Tac Squad -http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Downloads/Product/PDF/s/Smupdate.pdf