PDA

View Full Version : Just got the Astra Militarum as i wanted to start a new army and i need advice

Xaric
12-25-2014, 12:16 AM
Ok looking at the codex and it feels so overwhelming with choice and how to make these choice's also on how orders take into effect the list I was planning to make would be points wise 75% people and 25% armoured units with a fortification no named character's never been to much of a fan of them.

My HQ will most likely be Company Command Squad
My troops will most likely consist of 2 infantry platoons
My Fast Attack will consist of the formation I had in mind of 9 Armoured Sentinels and 1 Scout Sentinel
My Heavy Support will consist of 2 Wyvern Battery's

Advice would be most grateful I choose the models not because I want to win but more for the look of the army :)

vharing
12-25-2014, 01:06 AM
If you are worried about having enough orders to go around I would maybe take a second command squad. And leman russes are a good addition also. How were you planning on fielding your platoons? I have one with the command with 2 plasmas, vox and medic; 2 bare squads; and 1 unit of missile launchers. I want to add conscripts to it and a special weapon team with demo charges. The conscripts make a good meatshield or tarpit unit; especially if they have a commisar.

Xaric
12-25-2014, 01:17 AM
I am not sure about how orders work and platoons will need heavy weapons due to I will have the killing power for people with the wyvern battery's

Katharon
12-25-2014, 06:31 AM
Hi there Xaric. Welcome to the Imperial Guard!

Based on what you've listed, it seems like you will have a lot of infantry running around. So, let me give you some recommendations.

1) Taking two company command squads would be wise, so that you can get a lot more orders going out to your platoon units. Orders are just what the name suggests and take place during the shooting phase. Read your codex and it will explain in greater and clearer detail how the mechanics work -- but needless to say it's simple. Also, putting your command squad in a Chimera will give them a better chance of survival.

2) I would suggest platoons of basic composition. Never upgrade your platoon command squads, you will need the points elsewhere. If you are going to put special weapons in Infantry Squads, then make them either flamers or grenade launchers. Then you can fill out the rest of the platoon with heavy weapon teams.

3) Add in a Veteran Squad or two. Their ability to take up to three special weapons (3 x plasma guns or 3 x melta guns, etc) makes them good at taking down dangerous threats. You can also give them camo cloaks, carapace armor, and even melta bombs for added effect.

4) Fast Attack options are limited a bit for the IG. Armored Sentinels are good, but their armament is important. Never put plasma cannon on them -- they only have 2 Hull Points and the chance of Getting Hot! is too great to risk. IF you take that formation, keep them armed with missile launchers or autocannon. Gives them some good range to work with. Otherwise taking at least one Vendetta would be smart.

5) Heavy support, Wyverns are OK. I would suggest a Leman Russ or two, but that's just my preference.

Xaric
12-25-2014, 05:46 PM
1) Yeah I am not 100% about orders that I know you can use 1 order per squad and apparently Company Command Squads they get 2 as standard the reason I choose one company command squad is because the theme of the army.

Company command squad
+ Vox-caster
+ Regimental Standard
+ Chimera with camo netting
+ Veteran Heavy Weapon Missile Launcher with Flakk

2) As for troops so far with Platoon Command Squad I need different models to give it that themed of officers that go to a tent at the start of the battle with the Company Command Squad so if anyone knows what I could use that would be grateful.

Platoon Command Squad
+ Vox-caster
+ Medi-pack
+ Heavy Weapon with Lascannon

Infantry Squad
+ Vox-caster
+ Krak Grenades
+ Heavy Bolter (Removed)

Infantry Squad
+ Vox-caster
+ Krak Grenades
+ Heavy Bolter X (Removed)

Heavy Weapons Squad
+ Missile Launchers with Flakk X3

This will be doubled up so I wont repeat this but this is the theme I am going for I will stick them all behind a ADL with a Quad-gun.

3) The reason I did not choose to take a Veteran Squad as a troop is because it brakes the theme of the army the only vets in this army are those of the Company command squad Good advice if I was not following a theme :) I wish Militarum Tempestus was a troop choice then I would have taken them as the 2nd troop being the sort of behind the lines guys.

4) The recon formation in the apoc book

Scout Sentinel
+ Lascannon
+ Camo Netting

Armoured Sentinel Squad
+ 2x Autocannon
+ Missile Launcher
+ Camo Netting

Armoured Sentinel Squad
+ 2x Autocannon
+ Missile Launcher
+ Camo Netting

Armoured Sentinel Squad
+ 2x Autocannon
+ Missile Launcher
+ Camo Netting

Using outflank To get the jump on enemy as there all 48" range risk of the outflank putting them on the other side of the map out of there Primary target is lowered

5) Heavy Support the reason I did choose Wyverns is because cover ignoring weapon and also fits the theme at first I was going to get 2 Basilisk Batterys but due to I don't play on anything more then 60" due to size of the area I play in they loose most of there use besides Wyverns are much cheeper then all the heavy support options now the reason I did not choose the Leman Russ is mostly I HATE THE DESIGN OF THE TANKS to me the turrets just look way to large and it looks like it has something best not described under that turret :D

I was going to pick Hydra Battery but due to skyfire got changed in 7th that is why I took the Heavy weapon Squad with 3 missile launchers and flakk to deal with those threats that and they can take orders wile the hydra battery cant.

Now for some reason I have a feeling to flush out the army a bit with some regimental Advisors because I feel they can be put to good use I am not a big fan of the commissars but I might add some because what AM army would it be without someone scary pointing a gun at there head also why cant the commissar target himself after all they did use his leadership value?

Not sure how Primaris Psykers are but I hear very good things about them being the fact they can take Divination giving nice benefits to the army and I could take 2 enginseers both with 2 Servitors with plasma cannons each on those Wyverns.

Katharon
12-25-2014, 08:44 PM
I would strongly, urgently, vehemently advise you to never put heavy weapons into your Infantry Squads. Your infantry squads should be acting as moving interceptors to enemy infantry units -- acting as meat shields in essence -- and maybe swamping stuff with krak grenades or bayonets. Their BS is bad for effective heavy weapon fire, as they can only take one per squad (which is why heavy weapon teams are so nice, as you can take three). Even if you take 5 Infantry Squads and put 5 heavy weapon in them, that turns your big giant blob of men into a sitting duck. Infantry Squads, either combined into blobs or not, need to be mobile and ready to put themselves between your more vital units and the enemy.

As for troops so far with Platoon Command Squad I need different models to give it that themed of officers that go to a tent at the start of the battle with the Company Command Squad so if anyone knows what I could use that would be grateful.

There are different officer heads and models. The Company Command Squad comes with at least three different versions you can use. The one officer that looks to be holding a crop or command baton is what I usually use for my company commander, and then others I use for the lieutenants for PCSs. Your paint job can also go a long way towards making this difference obvious, by giving the officers unique markings, and changing the markings based on rank. Using old fashioned US Army rank bars, like the double "I" for Captain [II] and the single "I" for lieutenant [I] works on the sleeve of the model.

Xaric
12-26-2014, 02:16 AM
sounds great I see where you are coming from with Infantry Squads having a heavy weapons team being they cant move and shoot unless they snap shot and have to shoot the same target as the guardsmen do you know if there is a fortification that has trenches because I see the model in the GW store but not sure if there in any books?

Da Gargoyle
12-27-2014, 02:52 AM
Hi Xaric, beware of your armoured sentinels, they can't flank. Only the Scout Sentinels can flank, but a squadron of 3 scouts may be the way to go to cause problems with flanking.

Xaric
12-28-2014, 01:00 PM
they can with the formation as the formation gets the outflanking special rule