PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of starting Wood Elves: Tips

Duke
02-11-2010, 12:30 PM
Ok, so I absolutly can't stand the whole movement phase of fantasy... As such a lot of people have been telling me to turn in my WoC for Wood Elves. What I want to know is how 'competitive,' the list actually is and how it plays. Thanks all

Duke

wittdooley
02-11-2010, 12:42 PM
I played Wood Elves for a bit and found them to be quite competetive. Dryads are a VERY good core choice; they're tough and get multiple attacks.

I think if you're going to build a Wood Elves army, you certainly want to start with Dryads. Figure out what you want your general to be, and then go from there, keeping in mind that it is a very hit-and-run style army.

Duke
02-11-2010, 01:48 PM
sounds fun. How are wardancers?

Duke

Lord Azaghul
02-11-2010, 02:21 PM
Wardancers are awesome against unarmour foe, and of course they do best in the flanks of opposing units.

One warning on WE - don't try to build a shooty army. They don't have the high S to make the effort worth while.

elrodogg
02-12-2010, 07:09 AM
Wood elves are a great army. Of all the older armies, they have aged the best.

A balanced wood elf army is the way to go. Most competitive builds start around 3 units of glade guard (10 strong, no upgrades) and 3 units of 8 dryads.

The last list I played was:
Treeman Ancient w/ netlings, annoyance, pageant of shrikes
Level 2 mage w/ 2 scrolls
Level 2 mage w/ 2 scrolls
Hero w/ army standard, hail of doom arrow, great weapon
10 archers
10 archers
10 archers
8 dryads
8 dryads
8 dryads
5 wild riders
5 wild riders
8 wardancers
8 wardancers
Eagle
5 Waywatchers

That list provides for a strong magic phase with excellent magic defense. You have enough shooting to take out support units, particularly with the hail of doom arrow. The list has the hitting power it needs. Eagles are fantastic redirectors and warmachine hunters. The treeman ancient is essentially a walking dragon. Start with that 2250 list and you won't go wrong.

Waltz
02-12-2010, 08:21 AM
Assuming you want to do as little as you can in the movement phase woudn't you be better going witht he like fo a Dwarf gun line.

Lots of shooting and hard solid infantry that can take the charge.

jamesTFL
02-12-2010, 12:51 PM
If you don't like the movement phase, for the love of god don't play wood elves. They more than many other armies rely on their movement. They can't take bad charges because they are generally very soft. Also most of their combat troops can't flee (immune to psych) so if you don't move carefully you die. They also usually cannot take ranked up units with only 1 of their units. They need to combo charge and get flanks. All this requires careful movement.

If you dont like to move play dwarfs or better yet try a game not almost entirely decided in the movement phase, say 40k or Warmachine.

Duke
02-12-2010, 03:23 PM
I guess, I should be more specific... I don't mind movement so much as I hate the whole "Wheel," thing and the whole "Arc of visibility," thing.

Duke

Waltz
02-13-2010, 03:26 AM
I suck at guessing visability so I feel you pain but it is one of the key factors in the game. This might not be the game for you

elrodogg
02-13-2010, 10:31 AM
Get one of these: http://www.gf9.com/store/popup_image.php?pID=422

Waltz
02-14-2010, 03:41 AM
yeah I plan on, the probelmn is durign a tournament you not allowed to use thoses to check untill you actually declare what your doing

elrodogg
02-14-2010, 11:42 AM
That's certainly not the case in tournaments I attend. Determining LoS, Rear, Flank, etc. is perfectly fair game as long as it isn't a distance you're measuring.

cypher623
02-16-2010, 12:16 AM
things to keep in mind while playing wood elves:

1. most opponents will hate playing you;
2. the list is very versatile and forms up well around a block of eternal guard with a hero to make it stubborn and the 5+ward save item;
3. dont ignore thier light calv it can scoot around the flanks in a hurry;
4.. their magic, unless you have a wizard lord take lore of beasts is pretty weak; and
5. Use your scouts well to pin your enemy down and make them take more bowfire to get at you.