PDA

View Full Version : Pick a Warlord Trait, a new house rule?

Lost Vyper
12-29-2014, 11:08 AM
Hi yaīll,

After the last game with my friend (World of Pain in these boards), we were contemplating, what if you could PICK a Warlord Trait with a point cost? How much would be a proper cost for that coveted WLT? We were throwing numbers like 40p, 50p and somewhere there could be the price range, that i myself, would purchase it. For example Eldar, only one good WLT, Fateīs Messenger = re-roll 1īs in saving throws, i would SO buy that with 40-50p. Same with Dark Eldar, Labyrinthine Cunning = re-roll Night Fighting, Reserves, Seize the Initiative.

Or, if you knew it was going to be Maelstrom, pick a good one from the BRB...

Would you use this and what point cost is too low/high?

- Lost Vyper

JMichael
12-29-2014, 11:41 AM
Interesting idea. Personally I rarely find that my Warlord trait alters the game much.
I wouldn't pay 40-50pts for any Warlord trait as I would probably rather spend the points on more wargear or units.
Interesting that you think Fate's Messenger is a good one. It is one of my least favorites. Seer of the Shifting Vector is my fav (Deep Striking Eldar do not scatter w/in 6"). If I roll that then my WraithKnight is going to Deep Strike! muhahahahaha

In campaigns I do really like the idea of choosing Warlord traits before the campaign (not before each game). And I think that the CAD 'Ideal Mission Commander' Command Benefit really helps to ensure you don't get stuck with a useless Trait.

Or a house rule that eliminates some of the useless traits, like if your Eldar army has NO units capable of Deep Strike then 'Seer of the Shifting Vector' should always be rerolled, etc.

KhornishGameHen
12-29-2014, 12:27 PM
-snip-

In campaigns I do really like the idea of choosing Warlord traits before the campaign (not before each game). And I think that the CAD 'Ideal Mission Commander' Command Benefit really helps to ensure you don't get stuck with a useless Trait.

Or a house rule that eliminates some of the useless traits, like if your Eldar army has NO units capable of Deep Strike then 'Seer of the Shifting Vector' should always be rerolled, etc.

I like the campaign idea! It makes more sense than rolling new Warlord traits for every battle... as though your Commander keeps changing over the course of a long war without any apparent reasoning behind it (unless you happen to be changing Warlords :p ).

On the topic of re-rolling totally useless WLTs, this sounds like the most fair to me. My local group homebrews Tactical Ojbectives in a similar way. If you are unable to complete an objective (such as needing to shoot down a flier, but your enemy has no fliers) we allow those cards to be thrown out.

This could work similarly for WLTs. I feel like just paying to get your desired WLT takes away from the game a bit, but I could see removing totally useless traits as helpful.

In the end though, it is your house-rules, as long as everyone in your group agrees to follow the house-rule it doesn't really matter who else approves of the rule.

Lost Vyper
12-29-2014, 01:48 PM
We already have a house rule, that you roll a die, and CHOOSE that result from ANY table of BRB or from your own codex. Fe. if i play Iyanden, i roll a 4, i can choose n. 4 from either, Codex : Eldar, Iyanden or any of the BRB tables. If itīs a crappy one and you have your army CAD 'Ideal Mission Commander', re-roll. We have played like this about a year now and itīs working nicely...

Charistoph
12-29-2014, 02:07 PM
We already have a house rule, that you roll a die, and CHOOSE that result from ANY table of BRB or from your own codex. Fe. if i play Iyanden, i roll a 4, i can choose n. 4 from either, Codex : Eldar, Iyanden or any of the BRB tables. If itīs a crappy one and you have your army CAD 'Ideal Mission Commander', re-roll. We have played like this about a year now and itīs working nicely...

Many of ours have played it that way. It makes it crazy good even then, especially since any codex (but Necrons for the next month) can pull from a list of at least 5 Trait pools to pull from.

Aegwymourn
12-29-2014, 04:48 PM
Interesting idea. Personally I rarely find that my Warlord trait alters the game much.

I have been at events where you can choose your warlord trait and some can make a huge impact. The worst has to be the warlord and 3 units gain infiltrate (why hello carnifex brood >.>)

Mad Cat
12-30-2014, 05:34 AM
I played a campaign and a local tournament where your ewarlord rolled his trait as normal in game 1. If he was not slain then you could keep your trait on that model in the next round or roll again.

Entered another event where you could pick your trait so I had a quick look at the terrain and went for Strategic - Stealth & move through cover in ruins.

Dave Mcturk
12-30-2014, 08:13 AM

this is a good idea but still doesnt get around the fact that some wlt are just pointless. and the new 7th ed ones are in general far better than the mandatory codex ones for eldar and csm.

i would cheerfully pay 30 - 40pts for a choice of warlord trait - although as another poster said it might make certain builds even more effective - the incentive to avoid mono-builds is the fact that wlt and psychic powers are completely unprecitable [:rolleyes:]

Charistoph
12-30-2014, 09:44 AM
Technically, there is a way you can always choose your Trait: Take a Unique Character. Sure, it's limited to the Codex Traits, but it is consistent. Heck, it's probably the only way Ahriman or Huron would be taken consistently half the time.

Dave Mcturk
12-30-2014, 10:02 AM
Technically, there is a way you can always choose your Trait: Take a Unique Character. Sure, it's limited to the Codex Traits, but it is consistent. Heck, it's probably the only way Ahriman or Huron would be taken consistently half the time.

the eldar fixed traits are pox. just sayin. the command traits in brb are all awesome in comparison.

ReveredChaplainDrake
12-30-2014, 12:17 PM
If you can price a Warlord Trait, you can poorly price a Warlord Trait. And if you can poorly price a Warlord Trait, GW will poorly price that trait.

Oh, sure, Descent of Angels can totally go for 10 pts. And Synaptic Lynchpin is just a steal at 75. ...Oh look, they're buying more Blood Angels. How 'bout that?

This Dave
12-31-2014, 10:20 AM
The Astronomi-con tournaments in Canada have been allowing players to pick their Warlord traits. There are a couple traits that are not allowed and the chosen trait has to be written in the army list. Seems to have worked just fine since 6th edition.

Ducky
01-17-2015, 06:17 AM
The Astronomi-con tournaments in Canada have been allowing players to pick their Warlord traits. There are a couple traits that are not allowed and the chosen trait has to be written in the army list. Seems to have worked just fine since 6th edition.

Yeah I totally agree with that, definitely would not put a points cost on warlord traits but if everyone can pick the 1 they want for their list then everyone has the same advantage.

Dave Mcturk
01-24-2015, 01:31 PM
Yeah I totally agree with that, definitely would not put a points cost on warlord traits but if everyone can pick the 1 they want for their list then everyone has the same advantage.

seems like a good idea ! [bet no one not running asurman picked eldar traits ! - if he could choose 3 mite make them decent]

would be interesting to know which ones they banned !? anyone got a link ? ;)