PDA

View Full Version : 2000pt. Guard list

Son of Guilliman
02-11-2010, 11:27 PM
been workin on this list for a couple of days, let me know what you think

2000 Pts

4 Company Command Squad @ 235 pts (3x Melta, vox)
. . 1 Colonel 'Iron Hand' Straken
. . 1 Chimera (ML, HF)

1 Infantry Platoon @ 250 pts
. . 4 Platoon Command Squad (4x LP & CCW, vox)
. . . . 1 Platoon Commander (FLP & CCW)
. . 9 Infantry Squad (Vox, Flamer)
. . . . 1 Commissar
. . . . 1 Sergeant
. . 9 Infantry Squad (Flamer)
. . . . 1 Sergeant
. . . . 1 Sergeant

1 Infantry Platoon @ 325 pts
. . 4 Platoon Command Squad (4x Flamer)
. . . . 1 Platoon Commander (LP & PF)
. . . . 1 Chimera (ML, Flamer)
. . 9 Infantry Squad (Vox, Flamer)
. . . . 1 Commissar
. . . . 1 Sergeant
. . . . 1 Sergeant
. . . . 1 Sergeant

9 Veteran Squad @ 95 pts (3x Flamer)
. . 1 Veteran Sergeant (LP & PW)

1 Vendetta Gunship Squadron @ 130 pts
. . 1 Vendetta

9 Rough Rider Squad @ 105 pts
. . 1 Rough Rider Sergeant

1 Scout Sentinel Squadron @ 90 pts
. . 1 Scout Sentinel (Smoke Launchers; Autocannon)
. . 1 Scout Sentinel (Smoke Launchers; Autocannon)

1 Manticore Rocket Launcher @ 160 pts (Heavy Flamer)

1 Ordnance Battery @ 280 pts
. . 1 Colossus (HF)
. . 1 Colossus (HF)

1 Leman Russ Squadron @ 330 pts
. . 1 Leman Russ Battle Tank (Lascannon)

Koppenflak
02-12-2010, 12:04 AM
It could do with some work.

Some problems (I'm sure there are more that others will point out);

Straken seems a points sink, and should probably be supported by something else in the command squad to make him worthwhile. Unless you're pairing him in with a squad that has serious close combat abilities, I'm not sure I see the point. Unless you've got some insurance to keep him alive, he's going to die really quickly to a pie plate. Consider FNP and carapace armour for the squad to absorb wounds.

Your veterans are broken. The reason you take veterans is to take advantage of their BS4. Giving them 3 flamers is not congenial to this end. If you want three flamers, you may as well take a special weapons squad and be done with it. They should really have special weapons - plasma or preferably melta, and should be mounted in a transport... But I assume that's what the vendetta is for. Carapace armour would not amiss either.

Your command squads are odd. I don't exactly see why you'd give guardsmen close combat weapons and pistols. In your platoon commands is where you'll find the best place to mass your flamers. Put them in a chimera and they become a drive-by nightmare.

Platoons are ok, but right now they are going to waste. There is no point in taking a second platoon while you still have squad openings in your first one. Your first platoon has only three squads in it - if you want more bodies, take 2 more squads. Drop the second platoon, and take more veterans to make up the numbers.

Sentinels are... Ok, I suppose. Not sure what to make of these at the moment. If they are outflanking and taking pot shots at the sides of rhinos, I suppose it could work, but you'd really need to take an Astropath to make this worthwhile, because you really need them to arrive on turn two. No point in taking rhino-killers if the rhinos have already overrun you by the time your sentinels arrive. Otherwise, drop them and just take a full heavy weapons squad with Autocannons.

Last thing is the heavy support. The russes are good, the manticore is good, but I'd consider Medusae over the Collossus. A 48 inch Strength 10 template is really too good to pass up. This is a personal thing though - if you want the AP3 denies-cover, the collossus works.

EDIT: There is also absolutely no point in taking a Vox unless you have one in the command squad as well.

Tynskel
02-12-2010, 12:18 AM
I like the list. Especially the Rough Riders~ w00t!

This has a good mix of fire power. I like that your troops kill troops.

Melta command, Outflanking autocannons and vendetta. And if things get really rough, 2 Leman Russ as backup anti-tank and the Manticore.

However, I like to make sure that my back up is a solid as a rock (not that a Leman Russ is not solid). If you drop the Chimera and Powerfist from the 2nd Platoon command, you free up 70 points. You can swap out one Leman Russ, and change it to a Leman Russ Exterminator with Hull Lascannon, Hv Bolter Sponsons and Tank Commander Pask. I bet you will have more success with this than with the Chimera and flamers.

With Tank Commander Pask, you gain 1) a bullet magnet. Nothing says SHOOT ME like a Imperial Guard Tank that is BS 4. Especially when firing at tanks: 4 Twin-linked "krak missile shots", 1 Str 10 Shot, and 6 Str 6 Shots (Should Pop a Rhino every time you fire!). Or, when fighting Monsterous Creatures (roughly ~3 unsaved wounds a turn on a Tyranid MC): Everything re-rolling to wound. And, almost nothing in the game survives as well as a Leman Russ. Also, with the Marine Equivalent kills, the Exterminator w/Pask and Hv Bolters will kill the rough the same amount as that Battle Cannon (assuming the battle cannon is aiming for 5 guys per shot). With the Leman Russ becoming the focus of your opponent's attention, your weaker armored tanks will be less likely to be targeted. Helping to ensure that your Colossus and Manticore continually fire is a good thing.

Good Luck with ya list :)

Son of Guilliman
02-12-2010, 01:01 AM
Straken seems a points sink, and should probably be supported by something else in the command squad to make him worthwhile. Unless you're pairing him in with a squad that has serious close combat abilities, I'm not sure I see the point. Unless you've got some insurance to keep him alive, he's going to die really quickly to a pie plate. Consider FNP and carapace armour for the squad to absorb wounds.

i run straken in the chimera and mainly use him to give the meat shield furious charge and counter charge, to make the meat wad more reliable

Your veterans are broken. The reason you take veterans is to take advantage of their BS4. Giving them 3 flamers is not congenial to this end. If you want three flamers, you may as well take a special weapons squad and be done with it. They should really have special weapons - plasma or preferably melta, and should be mounted in a transport... But I assume that's what the vendetta is for. Carapace armour would not amiss either.

you are absolutely correct about the flamers and the bs. i, as you noted, am going to be running these in the vendetta for objective grabbers and wanted to be able to put as many hits onto an opposing squad on an obj. as possible, hence the flamers.

Your command squads are odd. I don't exactly see why you'd give guardsmen close combat weapons and pistols. In your platoon commands is where you'll find the best place to mass your flamers. Put them in a chimera and they become a drive-by nightmare.

as i have done with one of them, the other squad is going to be near the platoons, spouting orders, but it's not a bad idea to give them flamers anyways

Platoons are ok, but right now they are going to waste. There is no point in taking a second platoon while you still have squad openings in your first one. Your first platoon has only three squads in it - if you want more bodies, take 2 more squads. Drop the second platoon, and take more veterans to make up the numbers.

these platoons will 90% of the time be running as 2 wads of 30, so i just wanted the flexibility of running 2 big squads as opposed to one giant one

Sentinels are... Ok, I suppose. Not sure what to make of these at the moment. If they are outflanking and taking pot shots at the sides of rhinos, I suppose it could work, but you'd really need to take an Astropath to make this worthwhile, because you really need them to arrive on turn two. No point in taking rhino-killers if the rhinos have already overrun you by the time your sentinels arrive. Otherwise, drop them and just take a full heavy weapons squad with Autocannons.

i havent decided whether to outflank or not, i just really liked the option as well as mobile firepower

Last thing is the heavy support. The russes are good, the manticore is good, but I'd consider Medusae over the Collossus. A 48 inch Strength 10 template is really too good to pass up. This is a personal thing though - if you want the AP3 denies-cover, the collossus works.

i play a SM list with 2 LR Redeemers, so yeah i kinda have a hard on for S6AP3 ignores cover. I like the medusas as well, so if the colossus's/colossi?? dont work out i may be makin that swap

EDIT: There is also absolutely no point in taking a Vox unless you have one in the command squad as well.

they were in the list just forgot to type it, my bad

Son of Guilliman
02-12-2010, 04:33 PM
Ok , Game one with this list is finished, and what a game it was. It was a Spearhead Annhilation against mech tau. his list included:

Commander - Crisis suit - plasma
3 Squads of Crisis - Plasma/MP
4 Firewarrior squads in Devilfish w/ Burst cannons & SMS
2 Pirhanas
3 Broadsides
2 Hammerheads w/ railguns

He got 1st turn, so i left my entire army in reserve, so that way i could roll o9n turn two and get 1st shot. It worked well for me. At the end of the game, all i had left was 1 30 man squad, Straken's squad & Chimera, a gunless Manticore, and an immobilized vendetta. He had 4 devilfish w/ FW inside, 1 pirhana, the broadsides, and a crisis squad w/ hq. The scores went 7-6 Tau. the list played great, just had a little problems killing hi transports, may try to put a lil more mella and maybe a few ML's in the blob squad for some range. All in all, it was a great game and a guard list chocked full of flamers stuck with mech tau pretty good.

Son of Guilliman
02-14-2010, 09:52 PM
k game 2 and 3 are done and ovah. The Guard are now 1-1-1. I have fell in love with the army, and have made a few changes. Before games 2 and 3, i took out the sentinels all together and put ML's in the blob squads.

Game 1 was against the Daemonhunters.
HQ in Termie armor
10 Grey Knight Termies
2 10 man Grey knight squads
1 5 man squad deep striking
3 Dreads w/ LC/ML

This was a 5 obj. dawn of war game with me taking the first turn.
Out of al of my ordinance, not one pie plate landed on target, or even over an enemy model period, until turn 5. The MVP of the game would have to be the 150 point Rough Riders, who single handedly took out the entire squad of terminators and the Captain/hq in one round of assault. The look on my friends face was priceless. " They do WHAT?" "150 POINTS?!?!?!?!" i was able to stretch one blob squad across two objectives to hold one and contest against the DP squad. i ran the vets from the shambles of what was a vendetta onto another obj, while he stretched a squad across the last two objectives. The ordinance held out till turn five, but what a turn five they had. The manticore got 3 shots, and laid all three across a stretched out squad of untouched grey knights, killing 5. the Colossus's take out another squad, and the leman russes knocked out another. Game tied 2-2 with the 5th contested.

Game 2
against the Eldar.
This one turned out to be Annihilation/pitched battle.

Farseer
Howling Banshees
2 squads Dire Avengers
2 squads guardians w/ ML grav platforms
Squad of the melta aspect warriors, forgot name :( (fire dragons?)
2 wave serpents
2 fire prisms

This game was a slobberknocker. The russes did awesome, tankhunting and the like. Straken's squad and the flamer command squad with their chimera's HF's were responsible for all the dire avengers, howling banshees, and warp spiders, without ever leavin their tanks. His effin dark reapers took out one of my blob squads down to the comissar, and he retreated,and would have run off the board, but the game ended on turn 5 to save the KP. Game went 7-5 Guard. after these three games, i have seen what i like and what i didnt. First thing was carapace armor on the vets. I lost 8 over 2 games just to the vendetta blowing up. In order to keep the unit alive and able to score, they need to be survivable. I also took out straken and inserted Creed and an astropath. Here is the new list

2000 Pts - 278th Cadian Shock Troop Regiment

4 Company Command Squad @ 255 pts (Vox Caster; Flamer x1; Laspistol & CCW x1; Meltagun x2)
. . 1 Lord Castellan Creed
. . 1 Astropath
. . 1 Chimera (Multi-Laser; Heavy Flamer)

1 Infantry Platoon @ 270 pts (Infantry Squad)
. . 4 Platoon Command Squad (Close Combat Weapon x4; Vox Caster; Laspistol x4)
. . . . 1 Platoon Commander (Laspistol; Close Combat Weapon)
. . 7 Infantry Squad (Lasgun x7; Vox Caster; Flamer x1)
. . . . 1 Heavy Weapons Team (Missile Launcher)
. . . . 1 Commissar (Bolt Pistol; Close Combat Weapon)
. . . . 1 Sergeant (Laspistol; Close Combat Weapon)
. . 7 Infantry Squad (Lasgun x7; Flamer x1)
. . . . 1 Heavy Weapons Team (Lasgun x1; Missile Launcher)
. . 9 Infantry Squad (Lasgun x9; Flamer x1)

1 Infantry Platoon @ 340 pts
. . 4 Platoon Command Squad (Flamer x4)
. . . . 1 Platoon Commander (Laspistol; Close Combat Weapon)
. . . . 1 Chimera (Multi-Laser; Heavy Flamer)
. . 7 Infantry Squad (Lasgun x7; Vox Caster; Flamer x1)
. . . . 1 Heavy Weapons Team (Missile Launcher)
. . . . 1 Commissar (Bolt Pistol; Close Combat Weapon)
. . 7 Infantry Squad (Lasgun x7; Flamer x1)
. . . . 1 Heavy Weapons Team (Lasgun x1; Missile Launcher)
. . 9 Infantry Squad (Lasgun x9; Flamer x1)

9 Veteran Squad @ 130 pts (Carapace Armour;Lasgun x6; Meltagun x3)
. . 1 Veteran Sergeant (Laspistol; Carapace Armour; Close Combat Weapon)

1 Vendetta Gunship Squadron @ 130 pts
. . 1 Vendetta (Twin-linked Lascannon x3)

9 Rough Rider Squad @ 105 pts
. . 1 Rough Rider Sergeant

1 Manticore Rocket Launcher @ 160 pts (Heavy Flamer)

1 Ordnance Battery @ 280 pts
. . 1 Colossus (Heavy Flamer)
. . 1 Colossus (Heavy Flamer)

1 Leman Russ Squadron @ 330 pts