PDA

View Full Version : The beast arises? What Beast?

Emperorsmercy
02-12-2010, 12:22 PM
Flicking through the Warhammer 40K rulebook, on 544.M32 It says 'The beast arises.' :confused:

Checking, there was no real explanation, and checking on the lexicanum:

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/M32

There was also nothing. ANyone know anything?

Gotthammer
02-12-2010, 01:00 PM
It's one of those things they put in there with no additional information for people to come up with their own ideas for it.

So I guess the question is what beast do YOU think it is?

Asymmetrical Xeno
02-12-2010, 01:29 PM
When I read that...my imagination conjured a sentient planet arising from some dark forbidden nebula and unleashing swarms of creatures that live on the planet as its "minions" that hunt through the stars to find the planet lifeblood to continue living..sort of like a giant cosmic planetary scale vampiric organism in space.

Fellend
02-12-2010, 01:42 PM
Unicron, what else.

Herald of Nurgle
02-12-2010, 02:11 PM
So so totally The Outsider.

Drew da Destroya
02-12-2010, 03:24 PM
The Orks (and sometimes Ghazzie) are often called The Beast, but I don't think that's really what the entry you're talking about is referring to.

I'd assume Galactus.

Duke
02-12-2010, 03:30 PM
...I'd assume Galactus.

LMAO! That is great... Im thinking the beast could be one of those unexplainable things.

Duke

Vorlon
02-12-2010, 06:21 PM
- The Beast Arises-

During 544.M32 a team of Ad Mech Explorators found a early 21st century Games Workshop marketing executive a drift in a stasis tube. Within a year the Imperium's stranglehold on its subjects tightened tenfold.

Lord Anubis
02-12-2010, 11:26 PM
Not 100% sure, but I believe when it refers to "the Beast rising" in the Book of Revelation it means the angel of the abyss, who goes by the name Abaddon...

Just saying...;)

eldargal
02-12-2010, 11:42 PM
It was probably just a really big cat.

Or Abaddon.

Abaddon riding a really big cat?

Lord Anubis
02-12-2010, 11:46 PM
Someone riding a really big cat?

Would that make it a... thundercat?

:)

gwensdad
02-13-2010, 12:46 AM

Or Abaddon.

Garfield?
Maybe it's the Beast from Doctor Who (The Impossible Planet/The Satan Pit). (Torchwood Archives=Mechanicus?)

david5th
02-13-2010, 11:41 AM
The Beast Planet from Shadow Raider/War Planets.;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOhKN-cs8ik

MarneusCalgar
02-13-2010, 01:10 PM
I think it must be some of the Chaos thing, Magnus or someone else...

Or a new and biggest Tyranid menace??

DarkLink
02-13-2010, 01:40 PM
Totally the Great Evil (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/5th_element)

MarneusCalgar
02-13-2010, 01:53 PM
Hehehehe, good the 5th Element... There´s also a Futurama chapter similar to this, but the "Great Evil" is a meteor of thrash...

Force21
02-13-2010, 09:53 PM

omg yes...it all makes sense now lol.

umm well it does raise a few questions... but it is most likely something GW put there because they have always wanted unknowns in the 40k universe.

Like why do kittens mew? :D

Just_Me
02-14-2010, 12:54 AM
Garfield?
Maybe it's the Beast from Doctor Who (The Impossible Planet/The Satan Pit). (Torchwood Archives=Mechanicus?)

Damn, but I loved that episode! Made my skin crawl like almost nothing I've ever seen, Lovecraftian horror if I've ever seen it. And the first thing I thought after seeing it was "that's exactly the right 'feel' for 40k."

But on the main question, the first thing I thought was Orks ("The Beast" being one of their sobriquets), but I rather like Lord Anubis's concept (and he is quite right about the passage from revelations):

And they had a king over them, which is the angel of the bottomless pit, whose name in the Hebrew tongue is Abaddon, but in the Greek tongue hath his name Apollyon.
--King James Bible

The Idea that "The Beast" is a reference to Abaddon makes sense, and there was a Black Crusade in the same century (about 50 years later to be exact).

However, while all of this speculation is certainly interesting, I think the "real" answer is that it was a tidbit GW threw in there with no exact plan, just to add to the flavor of the universe and give us a starting point for imagination.

Lord Anubis
02-14-2010, 01:25 AM
"The Beast and his armies shall rise from the pit and make war against God."

"...what?"

"So sorry, ma'am. Translation error. Would you like the brown sauce?"

Commissar Lewis
02-14-2010, 04:01 AM
It's Abbadon riding a tiger while Holy Diver blasts.

Then Abbadon has the power of all 4 Chaos gods AND Ronnie James Dio.

Emperor help us all.

Melissia
02-14-2010, 12:42 PM
Aww, I was hoping someone was gonna make an "in my pants" joke.

BuFFo
02-14-2010, 02:30 PM
Anyone know anything?

Yes.

Unlighted
02-14-2010, 08:24 PM
The Beast is a creature of darkest nightmare. It is a personification of the dark hunger of GW. When it appears all bank accounts shall be drained dry as it's victims try in vain to appease it's immortal hunger....

The End is Nigh!!

RocketRollRebel
02-14-2010, 10:57 PM
It's Abbadon riding a tiger while Holy Diver blasts.

Then Abbadon has the power of all 4 Chaos gods AND Ronnie James Dio.

Emperor help us all.

Win

Heimagiblin
02-15-2010, 11:01 AM
Isn't there a planet were the orks and the tyranids are locked in combat and are evolving really fast because generations die in minutes. Maybe its a big *** carnifex that eats squiggoth's or vice versa.Or the void dragon. That would be awesome.

RogueGarou
02-15-2010, 10:56 PM

Or Abaddon.

Would not that make Abaddon Skeletor or He-Man? He has the power!

Hmmm, I had not thought about that before but if I could find a really mean looking sabretooth tiger it might look kind of cool as a Night Lords counts as biker. Stealthy, quiet, feral, callous, an idea is forming. It would probably wind up looking really cruddy, though. For a moment there, it sounded kind of cool. Oh, well.

archimbald
02-16-2010, 12:02 PM
maybe its GW laughing to themselves about this conversation????

david5th
02-16-2010, 01:15 PM
Aww, I was hoping someone was gonna make an "in my pants" joke.

Well now, since you mentioned it;)

Kieranator K82
02-18-2010, 04:10 PM
Isn't there a planet were the orks and the tyranids are locked in combat and are evolving really fast because generations die in minutes. Maybe its a big *** carnifex that eats squiggoth's or vice versa.Or the void dragon. That would be awesome.

Well the Tyranids weren't discovered by the Imperium until around 745.M41, and that was HF Behemoth. The eternal conflict you are referring to is on planet Octavius and is between the Greenskins and HF Leviathan, the 3rd major Hive Fleet.
Remembering that M32 was nine millenia before the current M41, the Void Dragon rising is an extreme improbability. If said C'Tan had risen, it wouldn't take it nine thousand years to defeat the Imperium.