PDA

View Full Version : WotR Mordor army (2000pts)

icecube
08-04-2009, 05:13 AM
Gothmog, Castellan of Minas Morgul 110

Ringwraith(The Betrayer) 125

Winged Nazgul(the Wich-king) 325

Castellans of Dol Guldur(*2) 270

Mordor Orc Warband(*4) with shields, captain, banner, taskmaster 190

Mordor Orc Warband(*4) with two-handed weapons, captain, banner, taskmaster 190

Morranon Orc Warband(*6) with shields, captain and banner 235

Warg Rider Warband(*5) with shields captain and banner 185

Mordor Troll 100

Mordor Troll 100

Siege Bow Battery(*2) 100

Faith: The Crown of Carn Dum applied to Gothmog.

Total points cost: 2005

The idea for the army is to advance with the orcs and the Morranon orcs in the middle, trolls protecting their flanks and warg riders flanking. The Wich-king will stay back casting spells and the siege bows will target enemy monsters. When combat is joined the Wich-kingwill fly to take out enemy heroes with the aid of black breath and the castellans will flank charge the unsuspecting enemy, hopefully from some terrain.

EDIT: I dropped the necromancer alltogether to get in some more orcs, morranon orcs and wargs. How do you feel about this wersion of the list? Feel free to comment and send ideas on how to make it better.

Dragon Knight Of Rhun
08-04-2009, 10:42 AM
I have doubts that you have a strong enough core of infantry to do that strategy well enough. The middle should be one of the strongest points in the army, and in yours its the weakest. What is to stop your enemy from dividing your force?

For your strategy to work your core middle has to hold out long enough for the witch king and castellans to get stuck in. I think you need more companies in that Morannon warband and Mordor warband too.

With this army you could easily be outnumbered by a better foe. I would suggest dropping a hero and use their points for more core for that middle to hold.

This is just IMO remember that. :D

Jwolf
08-04-2009, 04:22 PM
Mordor Orcs should be 2h weapons, and a lot more of them. I like 2 or 3 blocks of 4x8. Morannon Orcs make a great home for the Witch King on foot, which is the best way to take him, I think. Castellans are great on paper, but We Stand Alone makes them easily handled by magic. Wargs are awesome, but a lot more awesome in large numbers of groups. 3@4x2 works wonders.

Dragon Knight Of Rhun
08-04-2009, 07:12 PM
Mordor Orcs should be 2h weapons, and a lot more of them. I like 2 or 3 blocks of 4x8. Morannon Orcs make a great home for the Witch King on foot, which is the best way to take him, I think. Castellans are great on paper, but We Stand Alone makes them easily handled by magic. Wargs are awesome, but a lot more awesome in large numbers of groups. 3@4x2 works wonders.

Exactly, more core infantry. Yes two handed weps are good for Mordor orcs.

Larger Commons is still the vote. :D

icecube
08-05-2009, 04:30 AM
Thanks for the comment,

Dragon Knight of Rhun:
Yes a wery sensible option iwas thinking of would be to take 2*4 companies of Mordor Orcs with one formation with shields and the other with two-handed weapons. The shields are there because otherwise S3 opponents kill them with 4īs and with shields they need 5īs. So i could take the shields a bit mor in the front than the 2-handed weapons, let the shields get charged and clobber the foe with the 2-handed weapons.

Jwolf:
The idea is to keep the castellans within 24" of Gothmog and use the overlord rule to handle enemy magick. The winged-Naz. is the wich-king due to his special rule benefitting speed, and mostly because i have the model for him. Wargs: I would love to take more but the points are running out for 2000 pts:(

Cryl
10-02-2009, 06:58 AM
This probably counts a little as thread necromancy but seemed easier than starting something new.

Wouldn't a Mordor army work just as well just using Morannon Orcs with shields? Sure they come in at the same price as WoMT but they're S4 which is significant against infantry without heavy armour & shields.

I'm currently crafting my Mordor force but I'm intending it to be Morannon orc based for the core then models I really like for the other bits; the Witch King on fell beast (the model is just too cool not to have him, even if he's better in other ways:) ); the Necromancer (again he's not the best Sauron and almost a waste of points but I love that model) and Castellans who are both really nice models and awesome (at least on paper). I was thinking of using the betrayer on foot and taking Vrashku's Talons from the Isengard list as allies for him to assist, representing the talons as Morannon orcs with crossbows rather than Uruks just for theme.