PDA

View Full Version : House rule: Simultaneous shooting

Brent
01-13-2015, 06:05 AM
My buddy and I have tried simultaneous shooting.
Here's how we've set it up:
1. Army A executes all shooting attacks. Army B records the number and type of hits on each of its units.
2. Army B executes all shooting attacks. Army A records the number and type of hits on each of its units.
3. Both armies execute all Run moves in alternating order (Army A runs one unit, Army B runs one unit, and so on).
3. Army B makes all saving throws and removes casualties, takes leadership and pinning tests, falls back, etc., as normal.
3. Army A makes all saving throws and removes casualties, takes leadership and pinning tests, falls back, etc., as normal.
This seems more realistic--in real life battles, shooting happens more or less simultaneously. The approach also avoids several major problems, particularly the dreaded Alpha strike.
Does anyone have any opinions or suggestions?

lobster-overlord
01-13-2015, 06:31 AM
When we started playing Void 1.1 (now Urban Warfare), the rules flowed as alternating phases around moving, assaulting and shooting, and we loved it so we played 4th ed like that for a while and it worked so much better than you/me/you/me turns.

John M>

Reldane
01-13-2015, 12:08 PM
a couple of things of note:
firstly there are a few units that run and then shoot, or the Astra Militarum orders that have to be carried out at the start of the shooting phase that might cause some problems. I am amusing that each player is moving before the shooting phase rather than one player shooting another player shooting, however it does half the number of assault phases (or double the number of shooting phases). however one I foresee most problems with how would be how a skimmer/flyer/flying monstrous creature use jink in these rules.

still if it works for you

Ducky
01-17-2015, 06:13 AM
I totally agree with this concept as it would definitely reduce the negative impacts of being first or second. My only concern is the amount of rules related to altering seizing initiative that will be affected in addition to the potential halving of the amount of effective combat time. The combat issue could be resolved by doubling the number of attacks.

Good idea but effective implementation would require many a an amendment to the core rules which makes it clunky to introduce to others (although I would like to see your further amendments to allow for this play).